Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MoonChaser

Re: Walmart now sells Rokus!?!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:48 pm

The difference is, you pay money when you need to have your car fixed at the dealer. If someone needs help with their Roku, (to my knowledge) Tech Support doesn't ask for your credit card number. There is scalability allowed with the car dealer as you are paying for the service at the time it is needed, so they can afford to hire more repair guys if needed. Would you like to buy a product where a simple question required paying $20 to get an answer? Also, the profit margin WM allows is much thinner.... Let's say it costs $43.95 to make and ship the box. If it currently sells for $59, that's $15 for Roku per box. If WM will only give them $44 for it, they're only making $0.05 per unit. The rate of return is much lower. More units sold is a good thing, yes, but would you rather sell 1,000 units for $0.05 profit, or 10 for $15 profit? Note the case of Huffy in the article (page 6). They had to sell off several higher-end lines to be able to meet the demand for the bargain-bin line WM wanted. This means (potentially) Roku may eventually only have ONE model again, and it would be the low-end one. (So no more XD or XD-S, it's HD or nothing... no Optical Audio, no Component, no N-band, etc). Meeting that price demand also could result in Roku choosing lower-quality components to cut costs (remember the original power supply so many people have complained about? They could come back, and non-user-replaceable parts such as the main CPU chip could be substituted for those of lower quality as well). These concerns are speculation, and may be borderline FUD, but I'm just saying that I hope Roku beats the odds and ends up benefiting from this instead of cutting off their own toes from it. Some businesses thrive after getting in with the Empire, and others end up crumbling into dust.

Now, I would like to see it in Meijer stores and Targets... They're big stores as well, but don't have the reputation WM has in this context. They have a relationship with their suppliers that is *mutually* beneficial, not "our way or the highway".

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Most electronics at retail carry a 10% or less profit margin for the retailer anyway because of the competitive nature of the beast, but they all realize electronic hardware is not where they make their money. Even video game manufacturers like Nintendo don't make hardly anything off their hardware, its selling the software (games) and accessories they cash in on. Retailers make their money from add-ons like cables, service contracts, credit apps, etc. "If" Walmart demands they only pay a lower-than-usual amount that more than likely is made up for by the obvious economy of scale for buying in which they operate within. Roku will be just fine.

mommom

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Would love them in Target, K-Mart, Dollar Store, CVS, any store and every store.""

CVS sells LCD tvs(small)tablet pc's(slow),MP3 players,dvd players,cameras,phones.I bet they would be happy to sell Roku's.Probably for $20 more than direct and give $10 Extra Care Bucks back.

jhernes

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:57 pm

I would love them in 99 cents Store three years from now...
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

kc8pql

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:07 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
"If" Walmart demands they only pay a lower-than-usual amount that more than likely is made up for by the obvious economy of scale for buying in which they operate within. Roku will be just fine.

+1
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

jhernes

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:34 pm

kc8pql wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
I like Walmart. Sometimes I go to the one next to my house. Other times I go to the one across the street from my house. And sometimes, when I feel like taking a trip, I'll go to the one a mile down the road from my house.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

Village Idiot

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:15 am

mommom wrote:
CVS sells LCD tvs(small)tablet pc's(slow),MP3 players,dvd players,cameras,phones.I bet they would be happy to sell Roku's.Probably for $20 more than direct and give $10 Extra Care Bucks back.

If they can sell them and make a profit great.
Right now our economy can use a boost.
Maybe if they sell enough of them they'll need more workers in the stores, delivering them to the stores, creating advertisement in the stores, etc
I see selling the product everywhere good for everyone.
Good for retail, good for consumers, and good for roku. Even good for RokuShawnS who would be bored silly without us.
And if one or two stores sell it way overprice then the market will take care of it. Supply and demand. Works every time.

moviegeek65

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Well I see Roku took my advice from over one year ago to sell at Walmart and lower their prices, I thought it would help their sales now that every CE device can stream Netflix.
I hope they sell well.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25488&p=155591#p155591

mastermesh

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 am

My experience is that Walmart attracts a lot of the lower end of the intelligence spectrum. That is why I almost never shop there. I have found that their prices can almost always be equaled or beaten by looking on the internet or shopping around just a bit.

Yes, that's true... BUT, the return policies at Walmart are better than anywhere else. That's the only reason I bought my Roku there. Real pain in the butt to have to send something defective back if you bought it online somewhere and can't physically walk it in and get your money back. We bought a Colby cd player a few years back and it was basically broken within 5 minutes after we opened it. The cost to ship it back to get an RMA would have cost 75% of the entire purchase price of the thing. No need in paying for it twice. We we just went to Wal-mart and bought a cheaper cd player the next day after that. Much less hassle, and the walmart one actually had more features. :)
Last edited by mastermesh on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels

Village Idiot

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 am

I can't see where waiting for delivery time, paying shipping cost, and bad return policies is the intelligent spectrum.
Also to add into it is getting the correct size and color of items. Roku is not the only item they sell.
And not wanting to add every purchase onto the credit cards.
Finally Walmart and other stores gives jobs to people who might otherwise be unemployed and on my tax dollar.
The most unintelligent people usually are the ones who think they're not.
My next roku will proudly be brought at Walmart.

mikebdoss

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:27 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Finally Walmart and other stores gives jobs to people who might otherwise be unemployed and on my tax dollar.

Totally derailing this conversations, I'd like to add that because of Walmart's low pay and lack of benefits for many employees (as well as the company's practice of shuttering other local businesses via bullying), it often costs taxpayers MORE to have a walmart than to not have one. Add to that their other social issues, and it's still worth not supporting them.

jhernes

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:30 am

Village Idiot wrote:
My next roku will proudly be brought at Walmart.

+1 :)

stratcat96

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 am

mikebdoss wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:

Totally derailing this conversations, I'd like to add that because of Walmart's low pay and lack of benefits for many employees (as well as the company's practice of shuttering other local businesses via bullying), it often costs taxpayers MORE to have a walmart than to not have one. Add to that their other social issues, and it's still worth not supporting them.

Mike, you can't really be serious? Walmart is the culprit of "low pay and lack of benefits for many employees (as well as the company's practice of shuttering other local businesses via bullying)" no more than any other corporate conglomerate in today's retail landscape. Do you think if there wasn't a Walmart in town, the local "mom n' pop" stores would all be paying $15/hr and offer a comprehensive health benefit package? If you aren't happy with what big business is doing to the economy, you should take a look at who's allowed them and who's profited from that happening. Walmart and all these other huge companies sure didn't just get that way on their own.

All I know is *without* a Walmart in many small towns, there would be far fewer jobs at all and access to the kinds of products it carries.

socantra

Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I don't believe Roku needs our permission to sell at WalMart and I don't believe WalMart needs our permission to exist. I don't know of any store that intelligence tests their customers and I don't find many international conglomerates that have my best interests at heart. It is what it is. If you don't want to deal with WalMart, then don't.

Other than that, most of this thread should probably be moved to "Off Topic". WalMart selling Roku is news, just like any other major distribution channel. The philosophical merits of the company or the relative intelligence of their customer base are , quite frankly, none of our flower business.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

krisbee

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:10 pm

That was the best composed, well thought out, and greatest post to this thread yet.