Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jcalhoun
Topic Author

Problem with Amazon instant movie purchases

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:55 pm

I have used Amazon Instant to rent HD movies before. Yesterday I decided I would like to purchase the movie Phantom of the Opera. So I search within the Amazon channel on Roku and the only option available was to rent in HD. So, I went to the Amazon website and found that the movie was available on the website rent AND purchase in SD. It also said that the movie was available to rent and purchase in HD on your TV. It also listed Roku as one of the devices that allowed you to rent and purchase in HD. However, in the Amazon Roku channel, you can only rent and not purchase. So, I purchased the SD version on the website and it showed up in my Video Library on the Roku, but of course in SD and not HD. I found this to be the case with a lot of other movies as well.

Anyone else had problems with this? Does anyone know a way around it? I don't mind purchasing from the website but I do mind being stuck with SD when I would rather purchase HD.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Problem with Amazon instant movie purchases

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Call Amazon customer service and ask them about it. It may be an oversight on their part, or there may be a good reason.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

pjoshua5000

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:05 pm

jcalhoun wrote:
I have used Amazon Instant to rent HD movies before. Yesterday I decided I would like to purchase the movie Phantom of the Opera. So I search within the Amazon channel on Roku and the only option available was to rent in HD. So, I went to the Amazon website and found that the movie was available on the website rent AND purchase in SD. It also said that the movie was available to rent and purchase in HD on your TV. It also listed Roku as one of the devices that allowed you to rent and purchase in HD. However, in the Amazon Roku channel, you can only rent and not purchase. So, I purchased the SD version on the website and it showed up in my Video Library on the Roku, but of course in SD and not HD. I found this to be the case with a lot of other movies as well.

Anyone else had problems with this? Does anyone know a way around it? I don't mind purchasing from the website but I do mind being stuck with SD when I would rather purchase HD.

Most movies, expect for a few few made for TV movies (if a that) are only able to buy in SD, however you can rent in SD and HD (if available). Some movies can only be bought and not rented.

Hope this helps.

However, a lot of TV shows can be bought at HD, but you can't rent those.

Losan

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Amazon doesn't sell movies to own in HD (only SD). You can buy in HD only tv shows. I think it's movie studios restriction (they want you to buy HD movies on Blu-Ray).

jcalhoun
Topic Author

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I don't understand movie studios allowing you to rent in HD but not purchase in HD. Hopefully this will change in the future.

Illustratedman

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:38 am

Losan wrote:
Amazon doesn't sell movies to own in HD (only SD). You can buy in HD only tv shows. I think it's movie studios restriction (they want you to buy HD movies on Blu-Ray).

While it's true you can buy TV shows in HD they are DRM protected. I can watch purchased shows on my HTPC using "Unbox" and I can also access the same HDTV episodes with my Roku. DRM restricts you from doing anything else with these files. So yes, the studios want you to buy the HD versions on Blu-ray.

Amazon's new movie download service is called Unbox and it outlines what DRM implies. The user agreement requires that you allow Unbox DRM software to monitor your hard drive and to report activity to Amazon. These reports would thus include a list of: all the software installed; all the music and video you have; all your computer's interaction with other devices. You will surrender your freedom to such an extent that you will only be able to regain control by removing the software. But if you do remove the software you will also remove all your movies along with it. You are restricted even geographically, and you lose your movies if you ever move out of the USA. You of course have to agree that they can change these terms at any time. Microsoft's newly upgraded Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11) user agreement has a similar set of terms.