mauiman
Topic Author

Where did framechannel go?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:48 am

Channels vanishing overnight.
It's starting to get out of hand.
Youtube, TV.COM, and now Framechannel.
I have to say it was one of my go to channels for stock updates,
weather, etc. Really enjoyed having that at my fingertips.
So it really bothers me that it's gone.
How do we stop the channel sacrifices?
Which religious channel do I turn on to pray to the respective God for this to stop, Roku?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Where did framechannel go?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:51 am

I received this email from FrameChannel today, which probably explains the disappearance:

FrameChannel wrote:
FrameChannel Users -

Due to challenges with the economy and our company's financial situation we've been forced to make a tough decision and will be shutting down the FrameChannel service this month.

We have provided a mechanism for you to download any of your photos that are hosted with us in the My Photos channel or that have been emailed to your device via the My Friend's Photos feature.

You may log into your account at http://www.framechannel.com to download your photos, but the service will soon stop delivering content to your devices. To download your photos, log into your FrameChannel account, click the Download My Photos tab, and follow the instructions there.

For those of you using your devices for commercial applications, you may wish to take a look at the SignChannel service. That service is owned an operated by Scala, Inc., a worldwide leader in digital signage. For more information, please visit http://www.signchannel.com or email info@signchannel.com

We thank you for your support of the FrameChannel service.

-The FrameChannel Team
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dutchman

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 am

So what's their financial situation? Is ROKU not doing well? Might ROKU in general be cut in the near future??

TheEndless

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:20 pm

dutchman wrote:
So what's their financial situation? Is ROKU not doing well? Might ROKU in general be cut in the near future??

That email was from FrameChannel, not Roku.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

kc8pql

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:26 pm

dutchman wrote:

Channels are totally independent of Roku. Roku makes the hardware and the platform software that it runs on. Content owners/developers make the channels. Anyone can have a channel on Roku, free of charge, which is why there are more than 350 public and private channels so far. Some are going to come and go.
Think of it like your TV manufacturer and the cable company or broadcast networks. No financial connection.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

dutchman

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:10 pm

got it, thanks....

sharpedge

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 pm

I was only using frame channel to stream photos from my photobucket account, does anyone know of another way I can do that? Photobucket provides rss feeds for both photos and videos, it'd be nice if I could stream videos to the Roku from Photobucket.

Thanks

Brotha

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:39 am

sharpedge wrote:
I was only using frame channel to stream photos from my photobucket account, does anyone know of another way I can do that? Photobucket provides rss feeds for both photos and videos, it'd be nice if I could stream videos to the Roku from Photobucket.

Thanks

i didn't know photobucket had videos but you can add the RSS feed for their videos to the sunimi channel. I could not add The Photobucket photo feed though. :(

EDIT: i think i was able to add the photobucket picture feed by selecting the picasa option. will check when i get home.
Roku XD│S, D-Link Boxee Box HD, Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna HD DVR, RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna, RCA VH915 4 X 1 S-Video Switcher, Actiontec GS503AD3B-01 DSL Modem & 4 Port Ethernet Router, HDMI to Composite S-video Adapter.

Issy

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:46 am

So, now that the free service is gone, how much is the paid service?... I really liked the Framechannel service, and own a couple of Toshiba frames.

Are there any alternatives, even if just for a "small" monthly charge, I might consider it? The frames were hard-coded to the framechannel site, weren't they?

mauiman
Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Well, that is also my concern. What was once free will soon cost $$$$$$
Is there ANY other Roku service that provides stock updates?

TheEndless

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:00 pm

mauiman wrote:
Well, that is also my concern. What was once free will soon cost $$$$$$

I think that was the main thing that did them in. When the advertising started showing up on my frames, I emailed them (very cordially, I might add) asking if there was a pay option that would allow me to use their service without having ads interspersed with my family pictures, and I received a snarky response back telling me that it was a free service, so I should expect to see ads every now and then, completely overlooking the fact that I was offering to pay for it. After that response, I stopped using them and set up my own feeds for the frames to use instead.

mauiman
Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Yesterday it's Framechannel.
Today it's JustinTV.
Web Site is dead too.
Instead of a coming/going soon Netflix instant browser, you might have to make a going soon dead channel app.
Pretty soon our viewing choices will be Mormon, Buddha, Christian or Islam.
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Village Idiot

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:47 pm

mauiman wrote:
Yesterday it's Framechannel.
Today it's JustinTV.
Web Site is dead too.
Instead of a coming/going soon Netflix instant browser, you might have to make a going soon dead channel app.
Pretty soon our viewing choices will be Mormon, Buddha, Christian or Islam.
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

there will always be a GBTV channel

sharpedge

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 am

Brotha wrote:
sharpedge wrote:

Thanks

i didn't know photobucket had videos but you can add the RSS feed for their videos to the sunimi channel. I could not add The Photobucket photo feed though. :(

EDIT: i think i was able to add the photobucket picture feed by selecting the picasa option. will check when i get home.

Thanks so much, that works great for the videos, but the photos are all really pixelated.

StreamingMeeMee

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:14 pm

FrameAlbum, a soon-to-be open-source replacement for FrameChannel is open for pre-registration at http://www.framealbum.com.

My first priority is supporting Flickr and Picasa feeds. I do hope to add weather, news headlines, etc. as time (and content providers) permit.

I don't have a Roku box myself so if someone is willing to be an early tester AND is capable of manipulating their DNS server (to redirect the hardwired framechannel.com URLs) PLEASE contact me!

You can follow the progress, as well as join the development conversation, on my blog, http://www.streamingmeemee.com.