Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Netflix just raised their prices

Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:55 am

StellarRat wrote:
This is just the beginning. The content providers are going to do everything in their power to make sure squeeze every dime out of streaming companies (i.e. Netflix, Amazon, etc...) just like they did from the cable/satellite providers. The only thing that will make them stop these insane prices and price increases is for people to just plain stop watching their shows. I bet a lot of people here switched to Roku so they could get rid of cable because it costs too much. Well, guess what, the MAN is coming for us all again! I can hear the hounds in the distance. Next to health care and college there is no more overpriced, bloated institution than the entertainment business.

You don't need to write identical entries in multiple topics.

techmonkey

Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:59 am

krisbee wrote:
JRob wrote:
Despite claiming they are doing this change to keep the dvd side of their operation going, it appears this is a way of narrowing down that side and reducing customers for that so they can drop it altogether at some point. I've already noticed over the last year tons of previously available movies (at least fifty that were in my queue) switching to short wait, then long wait, then unavailable...

+1 to that. The third Family Guy/Star Wars movie took 4 months to be delivered to my house after being #1... I actually called and complained. Same was true for Secreteriat. Same is starting to be true for Jackass 3 for me. Other films I have had in my queue but down the list have dropped as Saved now (a silent movie series where I saw disc 1, but the other 4 are now no longer available). I noticed a scaleback in availability and WHERE it is coming from. All used to come from my local Greensboro distro center, but lots more have been coming from Fayetteville and Raliegh (all in the same ship time, but this must mean the library isn't as stocked everywhere)...

Again, I wish there was more content on streaming, even if it was old. Real blockbusters, but 5-10yrs old, but I guess that would cut into the cable reruns of them. Glad to see some old Warners catalog show up recently, and hopefully that trend will continue and with other studios. But I think the average viewer would rather see "bigger" movies show up. Think of how many crap sequels are available without the original...

The only way you can SOMETIMES get the new release movies right away is to of course put them @ #1 and try to time it so that they get the returned DVD and in turn send you the new release DVD on the Tuesday it comes out. This is of course a pain but it does work for me (when the timing is right) I actually have Hall Pass @ home from netflix waiting for me to watch if anyone wan to borrow it when I'm done. :lol:
1 ROKU HD-XR 2 ROKU XDS's

Gilgamesh

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:08 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

Why not? They are near duplicate but different threads.

The purpose of posting is to be read by those that might be interested in what is being said and making a post to two similar but different threads is quite understandable.

If I had something possibly pertinent for multiple threads I might fell the need to say it each of those threads as someone might read one without reading any other.

In fact it seems the more questionable act was made by the person that started the additional thread(s) on the same subject.

socantra

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

Why not? They are near duplicate but different threads.

Not to mention the fact that neither thread is really providing much in the way of useful information to anyone. They are primarily venues for people to vent how upset they are about the Netflix rate increase and to trade uninformed speculation about what it all means for the future of Netflix, streaming and whatever else they can manage to connect to the issue.

So........................................... Vent and speculate away.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

quavebslreb

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:17 pm

MrDGPT wrote:
I'm currently doing the 1 DVD at a time and streaming.
Since first run movies are a long wait, I'll be canceling my subscription and using Redbox where I can see new releases quicker.

I was thinking about cancelling my DVD service as well, but then I did some math...Including tax, I will be paying approx. $6.50 more per month (both streaming and 1 DVD) than I am at the moment.

If I watch 4 - DVDs per month, that's an extra cost of appox. $1.63 per DVD. Not a whole lot, if you ask me.

I know this is not an "apples to apples" comparison, as if I were to remove the DVD portion of my subscription plan, my monthly fee would actually decrease.

So...While me $1.63 per DVD example may technically be a tad higher than stated, you get the idea.

We're paying for convenience. The extra charges are more than worth it, considering I don't have to leave my house to get the DVDs that I want. Yes...Redbox may be quicker with new releases; however, I rarely have to see a new release as soon as it is available on DVD.

Stephen
Metairie, LA

JoshuaMarc1234

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
It looks like a price DECREASE to me.

snip:
LOS GATOS, Calif., July 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Netflix Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) announced today it is launching new unlimited DVD-only plans in the U.S. at their lowest price ever– only $7.99 a month for the 1 DVD out at-a-time plan and $11.99 a month for the 2 DVDs out at-a-time plan.
Netflix also announced it is separating its unlimited streaming and unlimited DVD plans in the U.S. to better reflect the costs of each and to give members a choice: a streaming-only plan, a DVD-only plan or the option to subscribe to both.

With this change, Netflix will no longer be offering unlimited plans that include both streaming and DVDs by mail. The unlimited streaming plan will remain at $7.99 a month. The price for getting both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99).

I am currently paying about $21.80 including taxes for the 3 DVD+unlimited streaming and under the new plan it will be about 16.00+1.50 or so in tax (17.50) for UNLIMITED DVDs and UNLIMITED streaming.

By any reasonable math that is a DECREASE of about 4.34 over all THAT IS NOT AN INCREASE!

How could this even remotely be seen as a raise in prices.

Also to the OP: I bet that the article is a bit misleading in its wording and the 1 and 2 DVD at a time plan INCLUDE unlimited streaming. Otherwise the 2 DVD plan + unlimited streaming would be 4.00 more than the unlimited DVD and streaming. (11.99+7.99 vs 7.99+7.99)

16.00$ is for one DVD and unlimited streaming. Not unlimited DVDs. You will never see a price decrease... come on now...
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out

leakman7

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:02 pm

I don't mind the price increase by Netflix. Since I average only about two DVDs a month, I'll just drop that part and stay with streaming. My bill will actually go from 9.99 to 7.99!

Yeah, it would be nice if they had more newer movies and current television shows available for streaming, but there are thousands of movies and shows that were made years ago that I've never seen (or want to watch again). I'm a patient man.

Narsh

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:30 pm

What is the new price for simultaneous streaming to two devices? Is it $7.99 per device? I'm on the 2-DVD plan because that's what the number of simultaneous streams used to be based on. What would be the new price for a plan with 1-DVD and two simultaneous streams?

hozedhead

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 pm

My question is why do they need to raise prices? Their stock price is at an all time high. Their EPS and every other financial indicator suggest they are making money hand over fist as it is. I smell a corporate takeover.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10

donbga

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:44 pm

leakman7 wrote:
I don't mind the price increase by Netflix. Since I average only about two DVDs a month, I'll just drop that part and stay with streaming. My bill will actually go from 9.99 to 7.99!

Yeah, it would be nice if they had more newer movies and current television shows available for streaming, but there are thousands of movies and shows that were made years ago that I've never seen (or want to watch again). I'm a patient man.

Lauren Becall once said that a movie isn't old if you haven't seen it. Frankly most new releases have little interest for me so I don't care if I have to wait 6 or 9 months to get something new.

But I will change my plan from streaming and 3 DVDs to streaming and 1 DVD with Blu-Ray. With the new plan I will pay a little less than I was and be able to rent Blu-Ray disks.

mikebdoss

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 pm

hozedhead wrote:
My question is why do they need to raise prices? Their stock price is at an all time high. Their EPS and every other financial indicator suggest they are making money hand over fist as it is. I smell a corporate takeover.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/technol ... ?hpt=hp_t2

And also: Because they're a business. Businesses exist to make money.

SandboxManager

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Because they're a business. Businesses exist to make money.
for shareholders. And I would put enough in front of money.

mikebdoss

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:53 pm

SandboxManager wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
Because they're a business. Businesses exist to make money.
for shareholders. And I would put enough in front of money.

In the end, it's up to people whether they want to support a business, or not. Netflix isn't a utility or other necessity, it's 100% entertainment. If you don't like what a company does, stop supporting that company. It's that easy.

SandboxManager

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:04 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
In the end, it's up to people whether they want to support a business, or not. Netflix isn't a utility or other necessity, it's 100% entertainment. If you don't like what a company does, stop supporting that company. It's that easy.

And you could use the same argument about why content is only available on PC screens and not TVs.

Beckerjr

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:13 pm

hozedhead wrote:

Stock price doesn't equal money in the bank to them which is what they need. Netflix got some very good deals there first time around on streaming ala STARZ. They are going to have to pay MUCH MORE the second time around. DVD's are expensive to buy and ship(they spend hundreds of millions per year just in mailing costs). They need more revenue. I do't like the increase myself, but I also realize the $9.99 deal was simply to good to be true. The market realites are catching up /w Netflix.