Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

AncientRomeBC
Topic Author

Roku 2 Random Restarts?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:46 pm

anyone else having random reboots ? i pretty much used the roku 2 all day today with no problems just now i went to the espn mike and mike audio for today and it just rebooted itself for no reason

davezatz

Re: Roku 2 Random Restarts?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 pm

Launching Angry Birds crashed my Roku 2 XS the first launch, but it's been fine since.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:10 pm

@Dave: at what point did it crash during load, if you recall?

@Ancient: I've only experienced two reboots myself, both I believe while watching Netflix. Haven't had one with Angry Birds or any other channels (a little time delay on Hulu+ after I'd been watching it for maybe 3 hours, but that's it). Keep up the reporting like you did here, including the Channel, Title, and the approximate time into the title that the reboot happened.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

ocammai

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:45 pm

I just received an 2 XS and after getting it set up at about 4pm EST I have had it hard reset 4 times in about 6 hours of playing with it. One in Netflix one in Crackle and one just opening a new channel and one more that just made me mad enough to not remember clearly..For the first day out watching the Roku logo bounce that much wasnt what I was expecting. I understand bugs in firmware but I hope there is movement in patching as I will keep a count on the 30 day timer.

Mac

AncientRomeBC
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:28 pm

sigh... just had another restart while in the middle of watching Merlin series on netflix (episode 5 i think) is this **** gonna get fixed?

Dave_O

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:29 pm

First day with Roku 2. 2 reboots while watching Amazon. Hope these incidents are being logged somewhere for root cause.

AncientRomeBC
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:31 pm

My question is what the flower were the beta testers of the roku 2 for if the reboots are this bad with the retail version ? I know this had to have happened to the testers as well can it not be fixed?

-LD

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:35 pm

AncientRomeBC wrote:
sigh... just had another restart while in the middle of watching Merlin series on netflix (episode 5 i think) is this **** gonna get fixed?

No. They never got it fixed on the previous gen so I wouldn't expect it on the next gen.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"
- John Wooden

AncientRomeBC
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:43 pm

-LD wrote:
AncientRomeBC wrote:

No. They never got it fixed on the previous gen so I wouldn't expect it on the next gen.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"
- John Wooden

i didnt own any of them so i didnt know :(

davezatz

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:36 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
@Dave: at what point did it crash during load, if you recall?

I can't recall where it happened, but the app never loaded so it was pretty early in the launch. Also, fyi I had tried the Bluetooth remote pairing and it did nothing until I made it through device registration (with IR remote) and then messed around in the settings.

AncientRomeBC wrote:
My question is what the flower were the beta testers of the roku 2 for if the reboots are this bad with the retail version ? I know this had to have happened to the testers as well can it not be fixed?

I'm sure the beta testers saw many of these things, bet many on the Roku team were aware. Sometime the ship date comes and there's a few open items that need to be addressed. Hopefully the'll have one or two updates in the queue this next month to smooth it out. This is the price of being an early adopter?

jambandit7

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:47 am

davezatz wrote:
This is the price of being an early adopter?

I agree. There will be bugs to be worked out....it will get better. Streaming content is still new....still a few hurdles to overcome.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
Roku2 4210RW-HDMI

DerekHelps

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 pm

I've had three crash reboots in the past 24 hours. (Roku 2 XS)

1) I was not in the room when my roommates started, but they started watching a movie on Crackle, during the initial preview, just seconds into the preview (they believe it was a preview for Snatch) it crashed and went into a reboot loop 3 times before I showed up, it then continued to do so several more times, I switched over to the Roku 1 XD so we could watch for the time being, a few hours later, I hooked the Roku 2 XS back up and everything was working fine.

2) just about 15 minutes ago, on Netflix, I had watched all of the Season 1 finale of Enterprise, and then 7 minutes into the Season 2 premier, I had crash and reboot. By the time I got back in from a smoke, the home screen was back up, so I dont know if it looped the reboot sequence at all.

3) and again just now as I was trying to finish watching season 2 premiere of Enterprise, about 20-25 minutes in.

Other info:
Roku 2 XS with 2gb SD (purchased via Roku) installed
Software Version: 4.1 b 1250
Connected via HDMI to V-ZON TV-3200 set to 1080 p
Wirelessly connected to Netgear WNR2000v2 set to Mixed Mode G/N
WPA2 encryption

Reason for edit: include third occurence, added software version.

2nd edit: slightly more information regarding first notice of Roku 2 crash.
Last edited by DerekHelps on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for the details. I'll add it into my weekly report next week.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

DerekHelps

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:36 pm

No problem Shawn, hope a root cause can be figured out, it has been slightly annoying, luckily, I have some back up units lying around for these situations ;)
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

ocammai

Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Day 2 update:

From getting home and channel surfing the device I have had one force reboot and after watching the Resident Evil cartoon on Crackle for about 20 minutes the movie stopped playing and sat at the screen with the rolling dots like it was trying to update..10 mins waiting and same hit the home button. Unit took a few secs to do anything and after trying to go into TWIT I am frozen on the channel scroll screen at 8:07pm EST. Control does nothing as audible or the light on the unit is stuck on and same no response. Not my network as I'm am on VPN to our datacenter at work. Please tell me someone has something for me.

Mac