Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

erayser

Re: Roku 2 Random Restarts?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 pm

sanjoseguy wrote:
Hi all,

Just updated to Firmware 4.1 build 1259 tonight. My Roku2 reset while trying to load an Amazon Instant Video. I had two resets on build 1256, both while using Amazon.

I've not had any resets while using Netflix, so it seems they are tracking down the bugs and squishing em.

I'm really enjoy this new Roku2 and it's a noticeable upgrade from the Roku1.

SJ

Nice... I'm updating now. I haven't been getting the random restarts with the previous build... but it's nice to know they are on top of things. I've been enjoying our Roku 2 XS... just as much... or more... than our XR and XDS.
Stream Devices: Roku HD-XR, XD|S, Apple TV2, Sony Bluray, PS3, Wii, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Network:
ISP: Cox (Premium) Mbps: 50(d)/5(u)
Motorola SB6120
Linksys e4200 + gigabit switches
"Stream by wire. Wireless Is for mobile devices."

kjl

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:45 pm

I just got my Roku 2 XS and it has this version of firmware. Everytime I try to plat a movie it reboots. If I am wired vs. wireless it works fine. Spoke to technical support and they said that if the wireless channe is not 1, 9, or 11 this will happen... I then asked when/if they would fix this and I was told that it is not a problem... That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard. The problem is the router not their device (that reboots!!). Guess I am returning this unit. Shame it looked like it could have been nice. But given I wanted to use this for travel and cannot set the channel ID on their wireless system this devie is useless. Hopefully they will own up to this issue and fix it in the future.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:28 pm

If you do what they suggested and change the channel, you may be surprised. Sounds like they think you may have interference from a nearby network on the same channel you're using.
Not an uncommon problem.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

robert l

Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm getting some random restarts also. This is the first Roku I've owned so not used to how well they work. It hasn't happen on Netflix but I didn't watch a entire movie yet. But some of the other type channels, like the Russian English news or the Tech type shows it basically don't work. It either freezes or goes back to that silly bouncing Roku screen.

I really don't get that on the other streaming devices I've tried so not sure what I think of this Roku 2 yet. I do like some of the 1080p netflix, but seems like it should be 1080p/24 instead of 60hz. I cannot compare just how good the picture quality might be since they don't have VUDU for some odd reason.

Its actually a little too small for me. I don't use wireless and my fiber connection isn't a problem either, which is a actual 35/35.

Anyway, don't like the restarts at all and not sure I should keep it if continues for the next 30 days.

visdoe

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:37 am

i suggest you return it and get your money back. I am having tons of issues with roku2 like all others noted here.

it seems roku2 has a major issues with HLS and some streams. They are unable to resolve it

Gilgamesh

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:55 am

visdoe wrote:
i suggest you return it and get your money back. I am having tons of issues with roku2 like all others noted here.

it seems roku2 has a major issues with HLS and some streams. They are unable to resolve it

Unable to resolve it? The Roku 2 has only been out for a short time and you only joined here 9 days ago. No company with the size or user base Roku has could respond that fast to an issue that only effects and small minority of users.

Give them a reasonable amount of time, at least three weeks, and, maybe they will address your issue and provide a fix.

It is totally unreasonable to expect any company to address an issue like this in just a handful of days. In fact many companies, even much larger ones with much more invasive problems do not provide a fix this quickly for an issue like this.

-LD

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:59 am

It should have been resolved before release IMHO

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 am

Boxee Box has been out for almost a year and if you look at their forums, that thing still has bugs aplenty that every f/w patch tries to address and breaks more functionality, The WD Live is still a fiasco with broken functionality as well. Don't even start on the Revue.. At least Roku has been active at putting out fixes trying to repair things that are broken. For as many people that post here with problems there are many more that have no issues whatsoever with their Roku 2s.

Gilgamesh

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:08 am

-LD wrote:
It should have been resolved before release IMHO

Maybe. But the issue may have just manifested itself after release. We have little knowledge of what issues, if any, were unresolved at the time of release.

brianjshea

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:40 am

I've only had this problem when dealing with the Major League Soccer channel. I'm in conversation with their digital team about it so if anyone has problems with MLS restarting the Roku 2, post here so I can pass them on.

bsseav

Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm having the issue too. Random reboots, mostly, when watching video. It doesn't matter if it is Netflix, Amazon, or whatever. Sometimes, it'll go for a good long while. Others, it'll reboot twice in 30 minutes. I'm at software load 1259, I believe. I'll stick it out for a bit, but the ladies (daughters) in my life won't stand for this too long.

Thanks in advance for any efforts to quickly resolve this. Negative thanks for any lack of efforts.

--BS

carlt1912

Fri May 30, 2014 2:24 pm

I have a two year old Vizio with apps built in it. I had reboot problems the day I bought it. I had it serviced twice with no repair. The third tech who came told me that He repairs vizio, LG, Sony, Samsung, panasonic and several other TV's with apps. He said they all have periodic reboots to apps like netflix, amazon Etc.
when my vizio reboots your talking about two to three minutes to get back to what you were watching. When I bought the Roku I thought maybe I could minimize the reboots or at least decrease the reboot time. After the firmware upgrade in april 2014 it's taking as long or longer than my vizio.

I guess when your talking about an eight story building filled with thousands of blade servers and thousands of SANS with millions of connection your going to get a lot of lost or timed out connections.