Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ocammai

Re: Roku 2 Random Restarts?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Update: I tried again to continue the movie on Crackle and after just a few minutes saw it do the same thing as before. Dot spin like its updating or trying to dl and it just sits. Pulled out again with the home button and again the menu was very slow to respond and then just became frozen. Think the crackle movie isn't letting go when it has the issue and just allocates resources til the XS locks. Doesn't explain the reboots from before but at least this one I could reproduce the error.This was straight after a reboot of the device from the previous post.

Mac

lyndon

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Same issue as others regarding Crackle. Freezes after 20-25 minutes.
HDMI out to Onkyo. Ethernet connection.

davezatz

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:32 am

RokuShawn - If you're reading, maybe you can get a ETA from the team ahead of your weekly report on when we might expect the first update(s). Surely these are known issues and being worked on. Info on potential updates could stem a number of returns (I've already heard from one upset user) and allow us to remain optimistic. Thanks!

gdsmit1

Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:13 am

I'll join the group that is having restarts. Mine aren't nearly as random. My wife was watching Real Genius on Crackle yesterday. It restarted a couple times during the movie. When I got home, they gave up watching it.

When I got home, I attempted to resume the movie and it caused a restart. I repeated this 2 more times.

The really bad part is that my wife is a techno-phobe and does not like changes. I've finally gotten her to try to replace cable with streaming and the very first time she tries it, this happens. I now have a huge battle in front of me to keep her interested. I just hope it doesn't lead to needing to return the Roku 2 XS.

lyndon

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:35 am

Switched out the Roku 2 XS for the Roku XD after 4 reboots on Crackle. No problems after that. I was using wired connection to DSL. I am not repackaging the 2 XS yet but I am keeping an eye on the calendar.

krisbee

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:03 am

You know, the odd thing is we watched Real Genius recently without issue. So, I do think it is random bumps in the data flow that cause this. I can get certain videos to consistenly fail, then others will fail only when the progress bar stops at a point.

I don't know, just speculating..

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:48 am

davezatz wrote:
RokuShawn - If you're reading, maybe you can get a ETA from the team ahead of your weekly report on when we might expect the first update(s). Surely these are known issues and being worked on. Info on potential updates could stem a number of returns (I've already heard from one upset user) and allow us to remain optimistic. Thanks!

Unfortunately, it's not a general policy to release that kind of information :(. If we did (even if it was just a ballpark figure) and we encountered a major issue/bug that was introduced, we'd have even more clamoring at our doorstep with torches and pitchforks asking why the delay?

However, I do suspect we'll see something soon. Roku's working on a firmware update to address some known issues, but I don't have an ETA. I will say, however, that on occasion it's a good idea to enter and then exit the Channel Store (using the Home key) to force a channel sync. There may sometimes be unannounced channel updates which will alleviate some of the minor issues such as channel stability, etc. (I know that doesn't apply to the random restarts, but it may help with those other channel issues).

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

gdsmit1

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 am

Update:

I asked my wife to check if she could watch the end of Real Genius. She first tried to re-start from the beginning. It played the first commercial fine and then when it went to start the second commercial, it restarted the Roku2. The commercial was for Currators of Cool and is the same commercial that was crashing things yesterday. She then went back in and did a resume. It started playing where it crashed yesterday and she was able to watch the rest of the movie.

Maybe certain commercials are flawed and dorking things up?

Unfortunately, it's not a general policy to release that kind of information :(. If we did (even if it was just a ballpark figure) and we encountered a major issue/bug that was introduced, we'd have even more clamoring at our doorstep with torches and pitchforks asking why the delay?

That's a smart policy to have. I know that Delorme had an issue getting a new firmware update out the door for one of their hand held GPS units. Unfortunately a CSR made the mistake of saying in a Blog that it would be released at a certain time. They hit a snag and it was delayed. The people commenting on the Blog were angry and practically threatening to come to the developers' homes and pulling them out of the house by their ankles.

smankins

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:07 am

Random freeze ups and reboots happen at least 4 times a week on my Roku XDS. It seems to be a nagging problem that has not been found and corrected yet, no matter the Roku generation. I am worried the older generation Roku boxes might lose some focus on fixing consistent issues now that the newer model has been put out.
Roku 2100X
Roku S/N K0A07K000120
Wireless Router D-Link DIR628

krisbee

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:37 am

I think you are on to something there. On some videos, I can get the Roku2 to crash consistently. It would then follow that a commercial would do the same thing. Also, sometimes it is the end of the video that consistently will cause me problems, sometimes it is the beginning.

I don't have this issue with the Roku1, so I am assuming that it will be resolved in an update.

ocammai

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Update: 3rd day. After 2 more force reboots and a freeze I'm up to 11 total device restarts in about 15 hours of watching. Those are ones that I didn't cause by the Crackle issue I can reproduce. I'm sorry but that's not anywhere an acceptable ratio. And these things don't boot fast by any means of the word. Please don't give me the early adapter pep talk either as I don't remember getting this for free or signing up for a beta tester. I paid money for a device that should have already been tested. I'm not an apple fan by any means of the world but I don't see my sister and her husbands apple tv doing crap like this. They are telling me to send it back. I'm hate to say it but I'm almost there. Someone red needs to give me a reason not to RMA this thing on the next reboot. And as I'm not the only one with this issue I see why don't you sticky this to keep the duplicates I'm starting to see so we can consolidate the issues.

Mac

odemata

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 pm

This really sucks. I didn't pay for this device to be no beta bug tester. When I first purchased the device about five days ago I revived an update. Then while watch a move on Netflix it crashes
4 times. Browsing the channels it revolts itself. First using it for the day I get a reboot when it wakes up. Like come on what is this crap. I have an apple TV and thought this would be better because of the many options for content but so far its been a disappointment nobody wants to sit there and experience these issues at a constant rate. Once or twice okay but geez. And I don't want to hear that crap about earlier adoptors either. When you release a product you.make dam sure it works right because word of mouth alone will prevent folks from.picking it up after your tale of experience. If this continues I will ask for a refund.

mkiker2089

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:11 pm

krisbee wrote:

I think you are on to something there. On some videos, I can get the Roku2 to crash consistently. It would then follow that a commercial would do the same thing. Also, sometimes it is the end of the video that consistently will cause me problems, sometimes it is the beginning.

I don't have this issue with the Roku1, so I am assuming that it will be resolved in an update.

I can confirm that Hulu had that problem for a while. A few videos had a bad encode that the Roku1 didn't like and would reboot on. The computer or PS3 would just lock up but the Roku actually rebooted. It is certainly possible that a bad encode can cause issues.

On the bright side with as many people having the problem it should be easy to track down. Feel fortunate you aren't one of those with the "green screen" error that seems to have no solution.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

beuce

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Roku2 XS randomly rebooted about 4 times tonight. First couple while watching Netflix, Strawberry Shortcake episode 13 and 14. I am not sure what time into the episodes for it happened while my kids were watching it. Most recently, watching Nowhere TV during Diners Drive ins and Dives, Season 9 Episode 12 about 5 minutes into the show.

kinorob

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Any time I try to watch a video on Amazon, the Roku 2 XS reboots. I have tried three times and all three times it reboots. Also, my Roku has randomly rebooted at least three times with Netflix, twice with the Twit.tv channel, and one of the times, it rebooted four times in a row. I was watching the bouncing logo for at least 7 minutes straight, which I found somewhat odd.

All in all, I like the responsiveness of the newer models, but it definitely reboots more than my first gen-Roku, which I'm not too happy about.