Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Ckole

Re: Roku 2 Random Restarts?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:51 pm

I have had many reboots. Streaming seems to hang and then poof. Roku bouncy screen for at least 4 times and then back to the home screen. Has happened in multiple programs. Most recently Amazon Video. After reboot it didn't remember my place and I had to fast forward. Very frustrating and the family is not impressed with the new technology. I have had other streams say they can't access the rest of the stream and not crash. Mine is connected to a newer Linksys N router.

Not sure if there is a way to view log files but that would be helpful. Reboots are slow as well, like 5 minutes.

Thanks

gdsmit1

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:16 am

After the reboot when the wife started Real Genius over, we haven't had any more. I used it for about 3 hours last night, a combination of watching some streams and playing Angry Birds.

ocammai

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:47 am

RokuShawnS wrote:

I will say, however, that on occasion it's a good idea to enter and then exit the Channel Store (using the Home key) to force a channel sync. There may sometimes be unannounced channel updates which will alleviate some of the minor issues such as channel stability, etc. (I know that doesn't apply to the random restarts, but it may help with those other channel issues).

C. Shawn Smith

Forgot to put this in my post that I did this as well with no joy on the issue. Someone discuss with me the factory reset option and what it does firmware wise.

Mac

Squirrel

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:33 am

I have had the restarts as well. Often, mine happen in the middle of a movie and also when entering a channel. Today i loaded MOG, picked a song, and the screen changed colors and froze...looked like VGA color. Then it rebooted.

Roxu2 XS, HDMI, Wireless.

ChrisDotson

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:41 pm

My ROKU 2 XS has done this three of four times now over the last day. First it was in Crackle, another time in the menu going through channels, and all the others have been in Netflix.

I don't have this problem with the ROKU 1 that I have.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:43 pm

ChrisDotson wrote:
My ROKU 2 XS has done this three of four times now over the last day. First it was in Crackle, another time in the menu going through channels, and all the others have been in Netflix.

I don't have this problem with the ROKU 1 that I have.

Go to Settings > Firmware update, and check for the new version (should update to b1255). This may help with some of the issues.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

laidbackache

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:21 pm

The new fimrware did not help my freezing/rebooting problems. Most any movie on netflix reboots or freezes about 40% of the time.. Especially if I try to skip or fast foward.. I just hope it is software an not hardware. Is there anywhere to officially report these issues or shoul I be covered here?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:25 pm

You're covered :). It would help if you could specify specific titles and the general "timestamp" of the video when it happens, if possible. If it turns out to be a problem with the stream itself or the channel, we can notify Netflix. If it turns out to be the software, then we might be able to duplicate and provide a software fix.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

laidbackache

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:41 pm

Tonight on netflix I watched Antibodies, Camelot episode 7,8, and The Nines. Antibodies in the 1st 3 minutes rebooted and was fine after that. The nines was around 45 min. But not 100%sure. Camelot episode 7 was fine, episode 8 reboots around 5 min.....(welcome screen) and finally at 13 min. before I gave up. Whenever I get rebooted and fast foward the the specific place it was , it is usually fine which makes me think it is not certain movies but Software/app related. also my wife watched Charmed, Ghost whisperer, And the last Airbender yesterday with the same problems on all three, but no time stamp.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Okay, thanks for the 411. I'll forward them to the appropriate people.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

bvermilion

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 pm

New firmware doesn't seem to have had any change in frequency of reboots for me. I've had three in the last 20 mins trying to watch Mad Men Episode 2. Between the last two reboots I wasn't even able to start playback of Mad Men it rebooted before I could even click resume playback.

I think I am going to try turning off the Roku button noise and see if that helps.

EDIT: In time it took me to type the post out and try to play back Mad Men again it rebooted while loading the stream. 4 reboots within 20 mins.

rusty5543

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:56 pm

I am having random restarts too... :cry:
My Roku box original works fine but my new Roku 2 XS randomly reboots to the bouncy "Roku" logo. Does not seem to be a pattern to the spontaneous reboots. Watching episodes of Star Trek Voyager, playing Angry birds or other titles it just seems to reboot for no cause. I have an excellent WiFi connection and I have the most recent firmware up date. Tried resetting the modem, making sure all other connections were closed but I am at a loss to find the problem. Its getting very frustrating...Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

ocammai

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Last Update: After new firmware it did seem to keep me from being able to get the Crackle freeze that I had previously could repeat ad nauseum. Unfortunately I have still had it reboot on and off in netflix and other channels at least 5 more times in about 7 hours of watching. I finally gave up. Called support and asked for RMA. I found that you have to do it online that the person over the phone can't or wont. HTTP://support.Roku.com in the search bar type in REMORSE. Cute. Sidenote: while I was typing this in got "disconnected" before I could complete the little web form. Sorry sounds like I should have bought the older model instead of waiting for this new device. Liked the idea though. Maybe apple tv or just break down and do a home theater PC. Good luck all you R2 users.

Mac

realracer2

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 pm

I just hooked up my new Roku 2 XS and was watching Chain Reaction on Netflix when the Roku shut down. My Roku 2 XS is on a wired connection. By the way whoever thought up the bouncing Roku sign should be shot. I may return my Roku 2 XS if this keeps happing. I am on the latested software.

mfunk9786

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:26 pm

I am freezing up with my new Roku 2 as well, which is a shame because my previous model had worked so reliably for so long. I am definitely very disappointed - does anyone know if there's some sort of exchange program in place? It will freeze and automatically restart, but will remain on the bouncing Roku logo for what seems like forever, requiring a hard reset of the device by unplugging and plugging it back in. Definitely feeling cheated by this new Roku model.