Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

frt

Re: Roku 2 Random Restarts?

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:54 pm

This is sad. Figured I'd just try listening to some pandora, buddy holly channel. Roku 2 rebooted during the second song. Really!?!? :evil:
Roku 2 XS...

oldthor

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:53 am

WOW! I thought I was alone with this problem!! It's pretty apparent there is something seriously wrong with the new ROKU 2's . I've submitted a request for either a repair, replacement or refund for my one week old unit. This thing reboots on it's own about once an hour. I've reset it and made sure it's running the latest firmware. My connection is hardwired cat five and not wireless. My old roku. XDS works flawlessly with the same connections so I know it's the unit. Shame on you ROkU for shipping such incomplete product....i WASN'T AWARE i WAS A BETA TESTER :evil:

aiovanna

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:07 am

Upgraded to the the new Roku 2 XS and I am experiencing the same problem, the box has restarted randomly a dozen times in the past week. Although last night I watched some Netflix and it only restarted once compared to the night before when it restarted 4 times. The bouncing ROKU logo was cool at first now it's just annoying I am pretty sure I have watched 30 minutes worth of bouncing with all the restarts. This is no doubt a software problem that can be fixed with a patch/upgrade, it sucks but nothing is perfect so I will remain patient for the fix.....but would appreciate any news on the progress of the fix.

crescendo

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:08 am

To the Roku Moderators relaying to Roku officials:

Could we please just get an ETA on a fix for this or acknowledge that it will be fixed? I have no qualms keeping the device with the knowledge it will be fixed eventually. Consider me just wanting a pat on the head and some encouragement.

thank you.
Discover the Power of Copper Pennies. A unique ability to invest money simultaneously in the copper market and currency market. Learn about investing in U.S. Copper Pennies by visiting http://www.coincollectingenterprises.com

Squirrel

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:16 am

I agree with crescendo. I don't mind waiting for a fix, as long as I am assured a fix is coming. I did however order a roku 1xds fro amazon because the roku2 is useless with the constant reboots and the fact that streaming is broken. My hope is someone from roku will acknowledge this issue at the very least, and then assure us a fix is in the works. Once it's fixed, the roku2 will be a very nice device,

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:33 am

crescendo wrote:

Could we please just get an ETA on a fix for this or acknowledge that it will be fixed? I have no qualms keeping the device with the knowledge it will be fixed eventually. Consider me just wanting a pat on the head and some encouragement.

thank you.

As I said before, Roku's not in the habit of announcing firmware updates ahead of time, as if we were to give an ETA and then discovered a major bug that delayed its release, we'd have people upset over that. That being said, Roku is aware of some of the issues plaguing the early adopters, and are working on those issues right now. The update a few days ago which fixed many of the Crackle channel problems were just the first small step. We have others on the way, but I can't comment on when they'll be coming.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

rlramirez77

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 am

I've had several - Pandora, Netflix, Hulu+ so far.
Roku XD, Roku XS, PlayOn, Windows Media Center, Boxee, iPhone remotes, 12 Mbps Charter

gdsmit1

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:40 am

My restarts have stopped occurring. I did not update the firmware, but I'm so new to teh Roku that I don't know if it updates automatically or if I have to initiate an upgrade.

But over the weekend we used it for about 12 hours and had no issues. We played Angry Birds, watched shows on Hulu Plus, watched a couple movies and had it on Pandora for quite a while. The only issue was when watching the Pilot of The X Files it took about 30 seconds to start playing again after having it paused for a couple minutes.

todlo

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 am

Just wanted to add my experience to the growing list of complaints re: "roku 2 random restarts."

In the week I've been using my Roku 2, I've had 3 restarts. I don't recall when the first one happened, but the 2nd time it restarted as I was trying to load an episode of "Diggnation" on the Revision 3 channel. The third time was last night, when I was watching episode 1 of "Sherlock" (the newer one from BBC). It restarted on its own about 1h15m into the program. Extremely frustrating. :x

Really hoping that this gets fixed soon. I have a nasty habit of telling everyone who will listen about my experiences with a faulty product -- especially if I have to return it.

oldie1kslowbie

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Here too :( I've had my Roku 2 XS just over a week and it started to randomly restart. I don't think its related to content. Just now while listening to a radio stream on the TuneIn Radio channel it restarted. Can't get much simpler than that.

I'm running software version 4.1 build 1255. I'm tempted to do a factory reset but don't want to go through imputing all my data again.

Anyone tried a factory reset?

Squirrel

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:22 pm

I got my previous gen Roku XDS today. Works like a champ. I can now watch movies without any reboots and streaming works perfectly!

crescendo

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:47 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
crescendo wrote:

thank you.

As I said before, Roku's not in the habit of announcing firmware updates ahead of time, as if we were to give an ETA and then discovered a major bug that delayed its release, we'd have people upset over that. That being said, Roku is aware of some of the issues plaguing the early adopters, and are working on those issues right now. The update a few days ago which fixed many of the Crackle channel problems were just the first small step. We have others on the way, but I can't comment on when they'll be coming.

C. Shawn Smith

Thank you for the quick response. Much appreciated!
Discover the Power of Copper Pennies. A unique ability to invest money simultaneously in the copper market and currency market. Learn about investing in U.S. Copper Pennies by visiting http://www.coincollectingenterprises.com

msreddy999

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:00 pm

I am shocked by the buggy system they released. My roku 2 xs crashes atleast once every hour. I just dont know if their QA team is working. They are going to lose all the good name if they dont fix it soon.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Guys, please check this thread, perform the update, and see if this helps to fix some of these issues.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

samundsen

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:20 pm

I installed build 1256. I've watched 2 shows on Netflix and one on Amazon tonight with no reboot problems. Previously it would reboot at least once in every episode.