Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JJaret
Topic Author

HDMI CEC Issues

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:48 pm

I am aware that the Roku 2 does not support HDMI CEC, is anyone else having HDMI CEC issues with the Roku 2 connected to television through their AVR?

luvtechnology

Re: HDMI CEC Issues

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Im having what appears to be HDMI CEC issues. I have a Sony Bravia TV connected to a Sony Bravia surround sound blu-ray player. I have an apple tv and a linux box connected to the tv with no issues. The tv and bravia receiver talk to each other using Bravia Sync (which is CEC). As soon as I connect the roku 2 to either the receiver or tv available hdmi ports the Bravia sync (CEC) is broken. The TV will no longer see the bravia receiver. That completely breaks the device/sound synchronization meaning i can change to the roku input and i still hear the cable box. I know the cable is not the problem because i bought a 1.4 cable and the hdmi input is not the problem either because I even tried connecting the roku to the same input i have the apple tv connected. Ive seen some posts about another device that breaks the hdmi cec and the only resolution has been to remove pin 13 of the hdmi cable (i dont want to mess up a cable). Anybody else having similar issues?

JJaret
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:28 am

I have 2xRoku 2s connected to 2 different TV/AVR combinations and both are having similar problems. 1 setup is a Pioneer plasma with a Denon AVR & the other is a Panasonic plasma with a Yamaha soundbar. Both are having similar issues. I even had to turn off the HDMI CEC on the Pioneer because of the flashing error messages. With the Panasonic/Yamaha the problems only happen intermittantly. Both setups include Apple TVs and Oppo blu-ray players. I am having a problem getting Roku tech support to acknowledge there is a problem that they need to address in a firmware update.

luvtechnology

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Looks like the roku is having lots of issues with hdmi. Lots of unhappy people in the forums. Since CEC is not supported they should make sure that their hdmi implementation does not interfere with other systems.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:44 pm

luvtechnology wrote:
Looks like the roku is having lots of issues with hdmi. Lots of unhappy people in the forums. Since CEC is not supported they should make sure that their hdmi implementation does not interfere with other systems.

What are "lots of issues"? Besides Green Screen (which happens with just about every product out there), what HDMI issues are users having?

luvtechnology

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes, I was talking about the green screen and the issue that JJaret and I are having. I didn't know it was a common issue since I have never encountered any problems with hdmi before. :roll: I guess I'm just unhappy that I have to use the a/v cables because the hdmi connection breaks the CEC/bravia sync in my system.
Last edited by luvtechnology on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luvtechnology

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I luv technology but this CEC issue is driving me crazy :cry: I love the roku 2, its channels and playing angry birds on the tv I just wish I could play it with higher resolution without having to unplug other devices connected to my tv.

Tajson

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:25 pm

luvtechnology wrote:

No, I am happy about the HDMI connections. My Sony Bravia tv is connected to my Roku HD and Roku2 XS through HDMI cables without issues along with the Sony dvd player so do not assume that there is a big issue.

Losan

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 pm

I also have HDMI CEC issues with my Samsung TV, Yamaha and Sony Blu-Ray since I've connected Roku. All problems disappear when I disconnect Roku. Could you please add option within menu to disable Roku CEC functionality?

JJaret
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:21 am

I received a call from Roku this weekend and a follow-up email. Their solution is to either attach the Roku 2 directly to the TV or use composite cables. Both propositions are ridiculous. I upgraded to the Roku 2 for the Netflix 5.1 audio. Connecting the Roku 2 as suggested would not enable me to use the 5.1 audio and the use of composite cables severely degrade the picture.

Losan

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:16 am

Today I've found that connecting Roku2 to my Yamaha also brakes ARC (Audio Return Channel) between TV and AV receiver. After I disconnect Roku2 - AV receiver and ARC begins to work correctly again. I'm disappointed that Roku2 that I have bought for 5.1 actually doesn't work as it should and it also destroys 5.1 audio from my other sources. RokuShawnS are you planning to fix this issue??

JJaret
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:51 am

Latest firmware seems to have fixed my problems. Thank you Roku.

wombat7477

Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:58 am

I just bought a Roku2 XD and connected directly to my Sony Bravia TV using HDMI. The Bravia TV is connected to a Sony audio receiver and BD player. I am having the same problem as described below; when the Roku is connected, Bravia Sync is broken and the TV won't find the audio receiver.

From reading the posts, it sounds like I am stuck just waiting for a software update from Roku?

jcmolet

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:21 pm

wombat7477 wrote:
I just bought a Roku2 XD and connected directly to my Sony Bravia TV using HDMI. The Bravia TV is connected to a Sony audio receiver and BD player. I am having the same problem as described below; when the Roku is connected, Bravia Sync is broken and the TV won't find the audio receiver.

From reading the posts, it sounds like I am stuck just waiting for a software update from Roku?

While not ideal, it would appear that your best option at this point is to disable CEC...and perhaps invest in a capable universal remote like the Harmony 300.

xo34cm

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:35 pm

I like to know if ROKU will fix this issue. I'm considering returning the box if they won't. Or at a minamum post on their website and box that it isn't compatible or interferes with the Bravia Sync function.

Very frustrating experience as I spent quite some time troubleshooting this!