Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

kratie00
Topic Author

More confused now - help with basics!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 am

Hello. I am researching to try and decide if we want to switch from cable to internet TV. I have looked at reviews, browsed through multiple discussion forums, searched the internet and read user reviews. I am now more confused than ever as to what I can do with each unit (looking at Boxee and Roku mainly - also looked at WD TV Live hub). So, here is what I would like to do:
1. Stream from Netflix, Hulu Plus (I know this is not a problem with either unit now)
2. Watch video content from sites such as Disney.com and NickJr (we have little kids in the house and while many shows on NickJr are on Hulu Plus, I did not see many Disney shows)
3. Possibly record a show to playback later (again, we have little ones and sometimes they like to watch stuff over, and over, and over again and the content on the websites - like Disney- seems to change frequently)

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether any of the units can do all of these things? some of these things?

Thanks-

Gilgamesh

Re: More confused now - help with basics!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:38 am

1. Works fine as that is exactly what Roku was designed for.

2. Will work if and only if there is a ch for the content you want to watch. I do not think either Nick or Disney have one, yet. But there is a LOT of kids content on Netflix and even more on other chs.

3. Unneeded as the content is already available for streaming at any time. Of course there are a some live feeds but those are not easily recordable as much of the content contains copy protection.

mkiker2089

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:32 am

DVR functionality is a lot to ask from a set top box. It requires massive storage that most streaming devices won't have. Also if you mean DVR recording from the web that just won't happen. It would violate the terms of service of those who stream. DVR for over the air however is possible.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

jcmolet

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:36 am

trekkeriii wrote:
kratie00 wrote:
2. Watch video content from sites such as Disney.com and NickJr (we have little kids in the house and while many shows on NickJr are on Hulu Plus, I did not see many Disney shows)

Roku does not have separate channels for NickJr, nor Disney. There is some Disney content and NickJr. content on Netflix. You can't stream directly from the websites as Disney and Nick do not allow it from TV set top boxes. Most companies don't as they are afraid of cable-cutters like myself, lol. Honestly, I think you'd find enough on Netflix to keep the kids occupied. They got Blues Clues, The Backyardigans, Power Rangers, Rugrats, Doug, etc.

Other options for children's content on Roku include the following channels: Kidlet, Ameba, Timeless Toons, BabyFirst TV, and Speedracer. You might want to google each channel to get a better idea and more specifics on exactly what they offer on Roku.

ApK

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:

3. Unneeded as the content is already available for streaming at any time.

Really? Cuz its not available when the the Internet connection is down, it's not available when the provider is having connection problems, and it's not available when it expires.
In all those cases, and more, local content is still quite need for some. It's just not what the Roku is about.
Unneeded for YOU perhaps, but it really doesn't take all that much imagination to understand why someone might still be interested in the ability to keep certain content locally.

mkiker2089

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:12 pm

ApK wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:

3. Unneeded as the content is already available for streaming at any time.

Really? Cuz its not available when the the Internet connection is down, it's not available when the provider is having connection problems, and it's not available when it expires.
In all those cases, and more, local content is still quite need for some. It's just not what the Roku is about.
Unneeded for YOU perhaps, but it really doesn't take all that much imagination to understand why someone might still be interested in the ability to keep certain content locally.

I think the OP was meaning to record the streamed content. As in recording a Netflix movie. That is what isn't going to happen. Local TV with a HTPC for self contained DVR functionality is a great thing.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:14 pm

the OP's question was about recording what's playing on Roku to play back at another date, not just local playback of his own files. Since the former violates terms of use by Roku's content providers, there is no need and won't be happening anytime soon

ApK

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:25 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
the OP's question was about recording what's playing on Roku to play back at another date, not just local playback of his own files. Since the former violates terms of use by Roku's content providers, there is no need and won't be happening anytime soon

Not allowed is not the same as not needed. That would be like saying getting first run movies the same day on Roku as they appear in theaters is "not needed." It's probably not going to happen, but "not needed" is not an appropriate phrase to apply.

Same with recording. "No, and not going to happen" is probably accurate. "Not needed" is rather presumptuous, and I doubt the folks who would like it need to be told what features they "need."