Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

nflguy
Topic Author

Roku Any Idea When This Pile of Junk XS Will Actually Work?

Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:45 pm

I have been a long time supporter of Roku but this new roku XS box is a piece of junk. Couldn't get any channels to work for more than a couple minutes. Went through support to change the DNS was able to connect and listen to pandora for about 15 minutes, now I am in the same boat can't connect. Roku1 worked fine for years how can a supposedly newer product be this bad out of the box?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku Any Idea When This Pile of Junk XS Will Actually Wo

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:05 pm

nflguy wrote:
I have been a long time supporter of Roku but this new roku XS box is a piece of junk. Couldn't get any channels to work for more than a couple minutes. Went through support to change the DNS was able to connect and listen to pandora for about 15 minutes, now I am in the same boat can't connect. Roku1 worked fine for years how can a supposedly newer product be this bad out of the box?

It's not, for most people. Are you connected via ethernet, or wireless? What's your connection speed?

yragha

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:52 pm

Yea, that's why poster after poster have complained about the ROKU 2.

Returned that pile of crap, still waiting on my refund and not a hiccup with the XDS.

Get it together Roku.

mikebdoss

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:02 pm

yragha wrote:
Yea, that's why poster after poster have complained about the ROKU 2.

Returned that pile of crap, still waiting on my refund and not a hiccup with the XDS.

Get it together Roku.

The majority of users aren't having these problems, or believe me, you'd see it here (and see nothing else).

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:22 pm

It would help if you'd post exactly what issues you are having. Most issues with the Roku players come down to issues in your network. While there were initial stability issues with the Roku 2 the large majority of them have been either solved or mitigated in this last build. We are still aware of a few more issues, and the engineers are working hard to fix them. But without any information about your particular problems, neither the engineers or the support on the forums can help you.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

nflguy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Mike connected via wireless, comcast internet, 50MB speed.

nflguy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Shawn cant stay connected to pandora for more then a few minutes. Sometimes it wont connect at all. Netflix gives me the lost connection, haven't even been able to even try and watch a show yet. None of the apps delete. Sometimes they say it can not be deleted other times the wheel spins then just goes back to the home screen. Didn't want angry birds on there, already have it on my phone. When I signed up online it says select the default apps to load on your player, I unchecked angry birds and facebook yet they both get installed.

The internet connection strength says good and my orginal player I never had 1 issue.

Mdparker04

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Do you still have your original unit? Does it still work well via wireless network? Can you connect your new one via Ethernet cable to test? Assuming nothing has changed with your network, my guess is that your new unit is having a hard time negotiating via wireless. I have an Xs as well connected via wireless on my 3Mb dsl and it works amazingly well with no problems though I must be honest and say a did have a couple of crashes prior to one of the first software updates to my unit.

Mike

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:46 pm

nflguy wrote:
Shawn cant stay connected to pandora for more then a few minutes. Sometimes it wont connect at all. Netflix gives me the lost connection, haven't even been able to even try and watch a show yet. None of the apps delete. Sometimes they say it can not be deleted other times the wheel spins then just goes back to the home screen. Didn't want angry birds on there, already have it on my phone. When I signed up online it says select the default apps to load on your player, I unchecked angry birds and facebook yet they both get installed.

The internet connection strength says good and my orginal player I never had 1 issue.

Sent you a PM. I'll forward some questions about your setup tomorrow night so we can figure out what exactly is going on, and then we'll work from there.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

nflguy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:57 am

Mdparker04 wrote:
Do you still have your original unit? Does it still work well via wireless network? Can you connect your new one via Ethernet cable to test? Assuming nothing has changed with your network, my guess is that your new unit is having a hard time negotiating via wireless. I have an Xs as well connected via wireless on my 3Mb dsl and it works amazingly well with no problems though I must be honest and say a did have a couple of crashes prior to one of the first software updates to my unit.

Mike

Have the original ROKU1 and it works fine connected via wireless. Ethernet is not an option, dont have a cable long enough and the signal strength is good.

Mdparker04

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Hmm .... Well I saw a post that Shawn sent you a pm for further assistance. I hope that he has some ideas since he is more familiar with the hardware. Being that your old one still works though, my money is on the wireless. I don't know if perhaps there is a setting that is not compatible with the Roku. If you are familiar with your wireless router, I would try changing the settings. For instance in another post on this forum, I saw someone recommend channel 6 and setting the max connection speed to 145mbs. Also, make sure your router firmware is up to date. Even if you happen to have another wireless router at your disposal, then that might be something to try. Good luck. Let is know if you find the fix as it could help others. As I said before, I love my Roku 2 and I am finding it very stable and easy to use.

mkiker2089

Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:23 pm

I wonder if he has a bad box. It should always be able to delete a channel.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

BrianN

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Roku2 is buggy hardware.

3 ft HMDI 3 ft ethernet cable it I swap Roku2 for my Roku1 I get stalls and freezes. Roku1 works fine. maybe they should have tested these more.
D3 5*30 Time Warner
Checkpoint N1000 Firewall
N1000 and Roku2 XS

laidbackache

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:54 pm

ya same here. It is a pile of JUNK! ( a small one) I want my 11$ shipping back for shipping this pileocrap back.

philsoft

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Well my XS is working great with the exception that I have to reboot it once a day, other than that I have zero problems, and I watch Netflix, Amazon and Hulu plus a lot. Other channels I watch only lightly. Problems are usually traced to issues in the users network or sometimes user error. On rare occasions, faulty hardware is found to be an issue, but it is rare.