Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
User avatar
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering
Posts: 1581
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:20 am

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 am

Maybe a stupid question, but why don't you just play the DVDs themselves? Why do you go through all the trouble of ripping them onto a server and finding and buying a client that will play them? DVD players are pretty cheap.

--Mark
 
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4320
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:41 am

RokuMarkn wrote:
Maybe a stupid question, but why don't you just play the DVDs themselves? Why do you go through all the trouble of ripping them onto a server and finding and buying a client that will play them? DVD players are pretty cheap.

--Mark


My biggest reason is that I can store all of my DVD's in the basement, and only take up the space of a hard drive upstairs. I find the Roku player completely satisfying as a local streamer.
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 pm

I never rip my DVDs to watch them on a TV.. you usually lose video quality as well as 5.1 encoding.. the only reason I'd rip a DVD would be to watch it on a portable device.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:42 pm

jeffrok wrote:
I never rip my DVDs to watch them on a TV.. you usually lose video quality as well as 5.1 encoding.. the only reason I'd rip a DVD would be to watch it on a portable device.


I don't have a 5.1 system, and the quality of the rips is more than good enough for me. It absolutely is worth the convenience of not having to keep all my disks around, and having instant access to them from all my TVs (which all have Rokus).

Of course, I didn't start ripping DVDs until I got the Roku, so I started out with the right formats.
 
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4320
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:50 pm

jeffrok wrote:
I never rip my DVDs to watch them on a TV.. you usually lose video quality as well as 5.1 encoding.. the only reason I'd rip a DVD would be to watch it on a portable device.


I don't lose the 5.1 encoding. I use the AC3 Passthru setting in handbrake to preserve the 5.1 audio track which is correctly detected and played by my receiver. As far as losing video quality, if there is any loss in detail at a 1500kbs setting then it is not apparent.
 
maynoth
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:50 pm

Right now I have them ripped to a 2TB hard drive, and they play on a WDTV just fine as is. The argument is similar to well it's easy for you to manually load cd's so why not use a cd player instead of an mp3 player. I guess it's not that big a deal to manually load cd's or dvd's but I like how I have it set up now. Not to mention many of my movies have been returned scratched up, or never returned at all from friends who borrow them. Also if I go somewhere All I have to pack is my 2TB external drive and my WDTV to play everything on.

I really think this is one of those crucial features most people really want in a media player device, despite what the Person of Good Streaming Taste's here would have you believe.

Just my $0.02



RokuMarkn wrote:
Maybe a stupid question, but why don't you just play the DVDs themselves? Why do you go through all the trouble of ripping them onto a server and finding and buying a client that will play them? DVD players are pretty cheap.

--Mark
 
socantra
Posts: 1443
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:11 pm

maynoth wrote:
I really think this is one of those crucial features most people really want in a media player device, despite what the Person of Good Streaming Taste's here would have you believe.

:lol: Somehow, I knew the "Person of Good Streaming Taste's" phrase was going to show up eventually. :lol:
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
 
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth
Contact:

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:17 pm

maynoth wrote:
Right now I have them ripped to a 2TB hard drive, and they play on a WDTV just fine as is. The argument is similar to well it's easy for you to manually load cd's so why not use a cd player instead of an mp3 player. I guess it's not that big a deal to manually load cd's or dvd's but I like how I have it set up now. Not to mention many of my movies have been returned scratched up, or never returned at all from friends who borrow them. Also if I go somewhere All I have to pack is my 2TB external drive and my WDTV to play everything on.

I really think this is one of those crucial features most people really want in a media player device, despite what the Person of Good Streaming Taste's here would have you believe.

Just my $0.02



You have your WD, you have your 2TB hard drive, why on earth has this thread continued to drone on for a week? Roku is what it is, the WD is what it is. It's not going to change no matter how many times you say that it's such a crucial feature. The "People of Good Streaming Taste" have a legitimate point. There are millions of people who buy the Roku, and keep the Roku because of the strengths it has over anything else. Likewise, there are millions of people I'm sure who buy and keep the WD for it's strengths. Then, you have people that enjoy both, or none at all. Roku is targeting a specific are of the market, and WD is targeting another. Go onto WD's forums and post about how WD needs to open up their platform and get hundreds of streaming choices like Roku and see the resistance you get from it. Pretty overwhelmingly those people care about local streaming *much* more than internet streaming. Different tools for different jobs. Enjoy the movies on the WD and people with Rokus will enjoy their movies or streaming.
 
jbrave
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Contact:

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm certain Roku would like to support everything, but they are still a tiny company, WD is a giant company that pre-existed the Internet, and probably half the people on this message board. It takes time and money to implement all these decoders, it will probably improve in the future.

As to the target audience, I would bet Grandparents represent a truly massive segment of the Roku market.

Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests