Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

maynoth
Topic Author

Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital TV

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:52 am

I own both a roku and western digital tv live+ now that western digital tv has added netflix and hulu plus I really wish roku would release a more competitve model that could play all media file types like the western digital tv. xvid, divx, h264, avi, mkv, ogm, mp4 etc.... from an external hard drive. this would make the roku complete imho. :D

Newsboys6

Re: Feature Suggestion: Play all media like Western Digital

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:01 am

If you want good local playback it is not that hard to convert your avi files to mp4.

See this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42077

Also, Roksbox has the ability to play all as well as the ability to play random files and works great from a hard drive. I have had it playing random files for 5+ and 7+ hours on multiple occasions without a hitch.

EDIT: it costs 15 bucks but you can preview for a month and it's worth it IMO

Gilgamesh

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:08 am

While I pretty much agree that it would make it easier I REALLY doubt that it makes much sense for Roku to add all that.

There is licensing and hardware costs that would be incurred and that would drive the price point Roku can sell at up quite a bit.

After all Roku is an internet streaming appliance as its primary function not a media player. The only designed part of Roku that is even close to a media player is the USB player and that is only available on a small subset of Roku devices that have been sold.

It is only thanks to some VERY creative independent developers that we have local media playing at all.

There are a few chs that allow playing of most formats you mentioned but they need a server running on a networked computer and to transcode that computer must be quite powerful.

I believe that Roku should keep doing what they do well and leave local media to devices that are designed to do that as their primary function.

There is NOTHING wrong with having two or three devices connected to the network to get all the functionality one desires even if there is a lot of overlap. The overlap gives you backup in case one fails.

mommom

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:21 am

I play whatever files I want over the Roku using a free version of a channel we cannot mention.No effort on my part needed.

jemjaguar

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 am

my Roku + my WD Media Player (refurbished $40 from BestBuy) = Gold

cbojar

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:03 pm

The Roku already plays h264 in .mov, .mp4, and .mkv formats, as well as (some specification of) WMV. These are, of course, the most typical formats used for iPod/iPad/iPhone media and (I would assume) Windows/WinPho7, meaning we have automatic access to a wealth of media. The one I might really want to see added is OGG Theora, since Roku uses Linux, since OGG is free, and since this could open up a few more outlets for media (such as all the video on Wikipedia). Also, OGG is rumored to be twice as fast to encode as h264.

maynoth
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:43 am

I understand roku is about streaming video, however the western digital tv live+ does netflix, hulu+, blockbuster, youtube, pandora, weather. It doesn't have all the channels the roku has but for the money if someone wants me to install one for them I will pick the western digital tv live+ as it can play local files without converting them as well.

I really like roku but I can't recommend it to anyone unless they weren't tech savvy enough to download files to an external drive and play them.

I hope the roku devs as support for divx, xvid, avi etc.

Gilgamesh wrote:
While I pretty much agree that it would make it easier I REALLY doubt that it makes much sense for Roku to add all that.

There is licensing and hardware costs that would be incurred and that would drive the price point Roku can sell at up quite a bit.

After all Roku is an internet streaming appliance as its primary function not a media player. The only designed part of Roku that is even close to a media player is the USB player and that is only available on a small subset of Roku devices that have been sold.

It is only thanks to some VERY creative independent developers that we have local media playing at all.

There are a few chs that allow playing of most formats you mentioned but they need a server running on a networked computer and to transcode that computer must be quite powerful.

I believe that Roku should keep doing what they do well and leave local media to devices that are designed to do that as their primary function.

There is NOTHING wrong with having two or three devices connected to the network to get all the functionality one desires even if there is a lot of overlap. The overlap gives you backup in case one fails.

socantra

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:57 am

maynoth wrote:
I understand roku is about streaming video, however the western digital tv live+ does netflix, hulu+, blockbuster, youtube, pandora, weather. It doesn't have all the channels the roku has but for the money if someone wants me to install one for them I will pick the western digital tv live+ as it can play local files without converting them as well.

Then, if someone were looking for an internet streaming device with very broad coverage, rather than a local streaming device, they would be foolish to come to you
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

maynoth
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:32 am

Most users want netflix, and maybe hulu+ that I've encountered. I would only use a roku assuming I knew they were not savvy enough to ever download media whatsoever.

Having said that imho the ability to play almost any video file without first converting it to mp4 is a big selling point. This wasn't meant as an attack on the roku dev's or the community. I am just pointing out the obvious here.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:35 am

maynoth wrote:
Most users want netflix, and maybe hulu+ that I've encountered. I would only use a roku assuming I knew they were not savvy enough to ever download media whatsoever.

Having said that imho the ability to play almost any video file without first converting it to mp4 is a big selling point. This wasn't meant as an attack on the roku dev's or the community. I am just pointing out the obvious here.

not every single person that watches TV or enjoys streaming TV has local files. I have a WD Live Plus, Rokus, and a Logitech Revue. I have many local files including ISOs that only the WD plays. I happily convert them because the WD nor the Revue offer me the ease of use and breadth of viewing selection that the Roku does

kc8pql

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:54 am

stratcat96 wrote:
...not every single person that watches TV or enjoys streaming TV has local files.

I'd bet it's a distinct minority of Roku's target market.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

maynoth
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 am

All the neat roku channels are like crunchy roll and newscaster etc. are very nice, but the main attractions for me are hulu+, and netflix. Seeing as the WDTV live+ does that in addition to being able to play almost any media file it makes for a superior device imho.

It's not my wish to bash the roku or the roku community.

Saying that it doesn't make sense to add support for divx, xvid, H264, avi, mkv, ogm, etc is a little silly imho.

It's one of the main reasons I bought a WDTV live+ even though I already owned a roku.

maynoth
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:16 am

kc8pql wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:
...not every single person that watches TV or enjoys streaming TV has local files.

I bet you are fooling yourself. Unless roku's target market is grandparents, then it makes sense not to have support for all media like the WDTV Live+. Who wouldn't want support to play almost any file type without having to convert it to mp4 first, that and adding a huge external hard drive. It fits right in with the target market.

mikebdoss

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:18 am

maynoth wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:

I bet you are fooling yourself. Unless roku's target market is grandparents, then it makes sense not to have support for all media like the WDTV Live+. Who wouldn't want support to play almost any file type without having to convert it to mp4 first, that and adding a huge external hard drive. It fits right in with the target market.

The target market isn't people like you, it's people who want a Netflix streamer and some other channels as well. Contrary to popular belief, most people don't use/download outside video files for regular viewing. I'd like to think the company that's sold more than a million boxes has some idea of how the market works, and what's needed/wanted.

stratcat96

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:21 am

maynoth wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:

maybe the market they're selling to appreciates the streaming abilities more than local file support. I liked my WD but couldn't stand that I couldn't watch most of the things that I can with Roku. Couple that with the tiny remote, and it sits in its box. In fact, want to buy it? lol

And since alot of people have other device like iStuff and other tablets, etc, local file support Roku does have has the best chance at cross-platform support. When I want to put a movie or two on my iPhone those ISOs and AVIs don't work. The product is what it is, if it's not the best fit for you thank goodness you have your WD.