Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sachinh
Topic Author

HuluPlus- Repeatedly hangs !

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi,

Have been using my HuluPlus channel off and on recently over the last two months or so and its been reasonably reliable.
But yesterday when I tried a couple of shows - just couldn't get past a single ~40 min show without at least 5-10 show-restarts :(
Anyone else facing this problem recently ?

Thanks.

Milkmanx

Re: HuluPlus- Repeatedly hangs !

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Yep about 50% of the people have this issue and the other 50% do not. Not word 1 from Roku that I have seen nor any ideas on how to fix the issue. I have another thread on page 2 I think about this topic.. I am so tired of the no response that I will probably RMA my unit this week, that and the fact NHL channel is also broken on my Roku2, fine on Roku1 though..
Roku1 2100X XDS, Roku2 XS 3100X, Vizio 52" LED/LCD

jambandit7

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:07 am

Hulu problems? Imagine that! :D The very reason I cancelled my subscription. It would be a great channel if it would simply work....maybe one day. :roll:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
Roku2 4210RW-HDMI

DBDukes

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 am

My experience suggests it's not Roku causing the problem. Allow me to explain.

I normally watch Hulu Plus content via my Roku (I have 2; a Roku 1 & a Roku 2).

I also watch Hulu Standard content via TV-connected-PC running Windows Media Center with a link to Hulu Desktop application. (This allows me to watch all Hulu content on my TV using my remote.)

Using Hulu Desktop, I get the occasional hang. It's most common on Hulu Standard content, rather than Hulu Plus content, but that may be because I watch more Hulu Standard content via PC/Hulu Desktop.

The common pieces on this setup when it freezes: Hulu, and my wireless network. That tells me the problem is likely either with Hulu, or with my network.

Since Netflix doesn't freeze (on Roku, XBox, WMC/PC, or Apple TV) and all those are on the same wireless network, I'm leaning away from my network as the problem. That leaves Hulu as the likely culprit.

So, I wouldn't blame Roku. I'd see it it happens on all streaming content. If not, it's likely not the Roku box.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

youngml

Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:32 pm

It's really brutal tonight.

Milkmanx

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm

DBDukes wrote:
My experience suggests it's not Roku causing the problem. Allow me to explain.

I normally watch Hulu Plus content via my Roku (I have 2; a Roku 1 & a Roku 2).

I also watch Hulu Standard content via TV-connected-PC running Windows Media Center with a link to Hulu Desktop application. (This allows me to watch all Hulu content on my TV using my remote.)

Using Hulu Desktop, I get the occasional hang. It's most common on Hulu Standard content, rather than Hulu Plus content, but that may be because I watch more Hulu Standard content via PC/Hulu Desktop.

The common pieces on this setup when it freezes: Hulu, and my wireless network. That tells me the problem is likely either with Hulu, or with my network.

Since Netflix doesn't freeze (on Roku, XBox, WMC/PC, or Apple TV) and all those are on the same wireless network, I'm leaning away from my network as the problem. That leaves Hulu as the likely culprit.

So, I wouldn't blame Roku. I'd see it it happens on all streaming content. If not, it's likely not the Roku box.

The issue I have is that about 1/2 of the people with a Roku2 have major issues wth Hulu+ and 1/2 do not. So that tells me we have a possibility of 2 different types of Roku2s out there of the same models unless you can explain why 2 identical models are having these different results. And yes the other posts cover type of connection and so on. I have yet to see Roku rep explain or even chime in on this issue and I think they would be concerned since Hulu is one of their major channels and they are currently dropping the bomb on this problem.

DBDukes

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:27 am

Milkmanx wrote:
The issue I have is that about 1/2 of the people with a Roku2 have major issues wth Hulu+ and 1/2 do not. So that tells me we have a possibility of 2 different types of Roku2s out there of the same models unless you can explain why 2 identical models are having these different results. And yes the other posts cover type of connection and so on. I have yet to see Roku rep explain or even chime in on this issue and I think they would be concerned since Hulu is one of their major channels and they are currently dropping the bomb on this problem.

While I won't dispute others are having issues that seem to be confined to Roku 2, I've not experienced that. You are correct, though, in that with the large number of reports of issues with the Roku 2, Roku should devote many resources to it. I suspect they have, but until it's fixed, they're going to be bombarded with these reports.

Having said that, I'm not certain that the fault (or the entire fault) can be laid at Roku. I go back to my experience that, for me, Hulu hangs on other players (Hulu Desktop running on Windows 7 Media Center) besides the Roku devices, while other content providers (Netflix, Amazon, etc) don't. That leans towards Hulu as the problem (or, at least, part of the problem). The fact that, on Hulu Desktop, both Hulu Standard and Hulu Plus content hangs, indicates it's all of Hulu, not just one of their content segments (Standard vs Plus).

With Hulu hanging on multiple types of players (Windows desktop app, Roku 1, Roku 2), I'd be more inclined to believe it's Hulu rather than a slew of players.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Milkmanx

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:44 pm

DBDukes wrote:
Milkmanx wrote:

While I won't dispute others are having issues that seem to be confined to Roku 2, I've not experienced that. You are correct, though, in that with the large number of reports of issues with the Roku 2, Roku should devote many resources to it. I suspect they have, but until it's fixed, they're going to be bombarded with these reports.

Having said that, I'm not certain that the fault (or the entire fault) can be laid at Roku. I go back to my experience that, for me, Hulu hangs on other players (Hulu Desktop running on Windows 7 Media Center) besides the Roku devices, while other content providers (Netflix, Amazon, etc) don't. That leans towards Hulu as the problem (or, at least, part of the problem). The fact that, on Hulu Desktop, both Hulu Standard and Hulu Plus content hangs, indicates it's all of Hulu, not just one of their content segments (Standard vs Plus).

With Hulu hanging on multiple types of players (Windows desktop app, Roku 1, Roku 2), I'd be more inclined to believe it's Hulu rather than a slew of players.

I don't know what the problem is to be honest, but I am not happy about it. I do know I have waited over a week for a rep to call me back after I put a ticket in early last week and still no answer to my Hulu+ and NHL Gamecenter channel problems.. . Maybe they will give me a call next week, but I wont hold my breath..