Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Strothgar
Topic Author

So it is the end of the month...

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:49 am

Anyone else work the Comcast limit this close to the mark each month?

I blame my MLB free games of the day in HD and my daughters Netflix habits when school is out.

Needless to say for the next 19 hours we will not be using the Roku in HD mode

BoloMKXXVIII

Re: So it is the end of the month...

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:04 am

The myth of scarce resources for ISPs continues. I bet they will be happy to sell you some movies/sport events on a pay per view basis. Funny how their bits don't clog up the pipe like your bits do.
Last edited by BoloMKXXVIII on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

jcmolet

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:06 am

Data caps. Potentially the greatest impediment to the adoption of OTT delivery methods by consumers and innovation by service providers.

senorgregster

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:21 am

My 2c. If at all possible, talk with your $ and change ISP. Let them know why you changed. I realize many can't change because they have a single ISP to chose from. I was stuck with Comcast for years and finally got access to FiOS. I had many issues with Comcast but I told them the primary reason for the switch was their cap.

BoloMKXXVIII

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:03 am

senorgregster wrote:
My 2c. If at all possible, talk with your $ and change ISP. Let them know why you changed. I realize many can't change because they have a single ISP to chose from. I was stuck with Comcast for years and finally got access to FiOS. I had many issues with Comcast but I told them the primary reason for the switch was their cap.

In many places it is a monopoly. The ISPs spend millions in Washington to ensure they stay that way. In a fair free market Comcast would be out of business. Most of the rest of the developed world laughs at us for how much we pay and how little we get from our ISPs. Changing ISPs and telling them why is a good idea, but the rest of the problem is in Washington. I will not debate which party is worse but I will say if you vote for ANY incumbent you are part of the problem. National, state or local, it makes no difference.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

jcmolet

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:07 pm

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
In many places it is a monopoly. The ISPs spend millions in Washington to ensure they stay that way.

Agreed. In my area Cox (fastest plan = 50 Mbps) is the only real choice as the other service provider, Quest DSL, only offers 2 Mbps service.

traal

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:19 pm

The data caps ought not to apply during periods of low demand when there isn't any possibility of oversaturation, similar to the way cell phone plans have unlimited nights and weekends. Then the ISPs wouldn't have to upgrade their infrastructure, and we'd still get free unlimited bandwidth--everybody wins!

Yes, it would mean less streaming, but more scheduled downloading. When you add something to your instant queue, it would automatically be scheduled to download to your Roku 3's hard drive that night when the bandwidth caps don't apply.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:21 pm

traal wrote:
The data caps ought not to apply during periods of low demand when there isn't any possibility of oversaturation, similar to the way cell phone plans have unlimited nights and weekends. Then the ISPs wouldn't have to upgrade their infrastructure, and we'd still get free unlimited bandwidth--everybody wins!

Yes, it would mean less streaming, but more scheduled downloading. When you add something to your instant queue, it would automatically be scheduled to download to your Roku 3's hard drive that night when the bandwidth caps don't apply.

Streaming doesn't work that way, and even if it did content providers are happy with streaming technology because it doesn't involve storing shows/movies locally. Introduce a hard drive, and suddenly the Roku isn't well loved by Netflix anymore.

stratcat96

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:25 pm

traal wrote:

uhh if you have a cap you always have a cap. It's not like peak minutes and night and weekend minutes with a cell phone

Mister DNA

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds, but I'm glad I don't live where Comcast is the only game in town.

As much as I grip about my provider - Time-Warner - they've been really helpful, and.... no data caps.

Plus, I got an email from them yesterday saying that basic Roadrunner accounts are increasing in upload/download speeds, with no price increase.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell

traal

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:44 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Introduce a hard drive, and suddenly the Roku isn't well loved by Netflix anymore.

That only applies to hard drives that can be removed by the end user and connected to a desktop computer. It doesn't have to be that way.

stratcat96 wrote:
uhh if you have a cap you always have a cap. It's not like peak minutes and night and weekend minutes with a cell phone

That's what I'm saying! It ought to be like a cell phone plan.

stratcat96

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:50 pm

ohhh well lol bandwidth caps are efforts bridging the divide between grasping for more revenue and being anti-competitive because of conflicts of interest of their parent companies or other businesses they conduct. If they made it like a cell phone plan data caps wouldn't be nearly as effective for either purpose lol

Metro

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Strothgar wrote:

Anyone else work the Comcast limit this close to the mark each month?

I blame my MLB free games of the day in HD and my daughters Netflix habits when school is out.

Needless to say for the next 19 hours we will not be using the Roku in HD mode

The way I read it, they go after the bigest users so I'm guessing that there will be a lot that really go over the limit.

I tried to insert a picture of my usuage but not doing something right. June was 272 July 307 August 368

Last month Comcast raised my internet rate because a promo ran out. I was getting 50% off from what some neighbors are paying for internet only service. I called them & said I will go move on & they gave me 55% off for 6mo. I always go over the limit but have never have been contacted by them about the over limit usage until next week of course. :shock: In fact I was getting 10-12 mbps & when they renewed my internet stopped working & I called them. They said they needed to download a new file (?) to my modem & now see 20mbps most of the time. Bottom line, they don't want to lose you just for going over the limit unless you really go over & I guess I haven't made it there yet because the last 8 mo have been over.

leakman7

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:24 am

If they're going to have caps, they should take an idea from AT&T's cell service - ROLLOVER. That way, if you have a month of using half of your cap, you could roll it over to the next month.

We all have varying internet usage habits. I know some months I'm traveling more than I'm home so my internet usage is way down. I'm posting this 160 miles from home. :D

Right now my ISP, Charter Communications, has no cap. If they start one, my only other choice is slower DSL.

janel

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 am

leakman7 wrote:
Right now my ISP, Charter Communications, has no cap.

Yes, they do - they just don't enforce it stringently so far.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Char ... aps-111347

http://gigaom.com/2010/11/11/charter-fo ... sage-caps/