Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Frankie'sMarket

Re: NHL Gamecenter Live

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50 pm

DaBronx wrote:
I am happy for hockey fans. Was skyping with a friend in Detroit who has Red Wing season seats and he was stoked about the settlement. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

People can rant about the disgust they feel towards greedy millionaire players and their greedy billionaire bosses. And I can totally understand the fans who feel like they've been taken for granted.

But one thing I have to refute is the notion that a shortened regular season will result in an inferior product on the ice. To that, I say "horse hockey." :wink:

80 game seasons are marathons designed to maximize the hockey related revenue that the players and owners profit from. It does not necessarily ensure that each and every game in a full season will be a classic. Take for example, the annual curse of the Stanley Cup hangover, where it seems like the defending champs looks like they are sleepwalking through the first month of the season and it takes until mid-November or later before they start playing like their normal selves. Or how about the mid-season blahs when it seems like players and entire teams are playing passionless hockey in January and February, and are seemingly going through the motions. What about that farce of an event that is officially called the NHL All Star Game. And let's not forget the very end of the regular season, when teams that have locked up their postseason positions early start scratching all of their stars and replacing them with fringe players from the AHL. Is any hockey fan here going to miss any of this? Really?

With a 48 game season, you're not going to have any of this. Instead of a marathon, it will be a sprint with every regular season game carrying greater importance than in a normal year. In short, the regular season games will be a blast to watch, from start to finish. You won't be tuning in to any snoozers.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin

Cull

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 am

Frankie'sMarket wrote:
DaBronx wrote:
I am happy for hockey fans. Was skyping with a friend in Detroit who has Red Wing season seats and he was stoked about the settlement. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

People can rant about the disgust they feel towards greedy millionaire players and their greedy billionaire bosses. And I can totally understand the fans who feel like they've been taken for granted.

But one thing I have to refute is the notion that a shortened regular season will result in an inferior product on the ice. To that, I say "horse hockey." :wink:

80 game seasons are marathons designed to maximize the hockey...

Well said, and I tend to agree. I actually tried to do a little research on the 94-95 lockout (that resulted in a half-season) to see if I could find any evidence to support the theory, but I didn't really find anything.

I guess there may be some rust in the first couple of weeks but overall I think a condensed season would put a lot more importance on every game.

That said, I probably still won't pay "full price" for this season (60% of $159, or whatever it works out to) just on principal :x

mcrin

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 am

I too am interested in the answer to this question - "Does anyone know if they do a "playoff only" flavor and, if so, what it normally costs?"

Does the Gamecenter package normally include any kind of offer for getting playoff games?

Frankie'sMarket

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm

mcrin wrote:
I too am interested in the answer to this question - "Does anyone know if they do a "playoff only" flavor and, if so, what it normally costs?"

Does the Gamecenter package normally include any kind of offer for getting playoff games?

Like every other league, the NHL gradually reduces the price of their out-of-market TV package as the season progresses. I forgot if there was a final "lowest" price set right at the start of the postseason schedule. I do know that even at that late date, you still can purchase a subscription at whatever the price happens to be at that point.

But keep in mind that in Canada and US, there will be no live telecasts on the GCL package as all the playoff games (even the opening rounds) will be nationally televised. Only on-demand replays will be available. No doubt this is a major reason why the NHL shys away from making a big fanfare about "playoff pricing" for GCL at that time of the year.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin

mike6262

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 pm

As mentioned earlier I have also read the the NHL are considering offering Gamecenter Live for free. We'll see about that, but fingers are crossed. I think anything more than $40 will be a slap in the face to fans. Regardless if the offer is an genuine act of kindness to the fans or not, they have to acknowledge us in some way for sitting through this strike. Don't they? Like I said, fingers crossed. Do the right thing NHL, this is your chance to put at least some positive spin on this shortened season.

reaper88

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:22 am

Well the schedule has been released i hope they put out what is going to happen with gamecenter soon..Free would be best but i a hoping for like maybe 50 bucks for the season...

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:19 pm

I checked my NHL.com account and am still listed as being on auto-renew and am leaving it that way in case there is a special price for returning subscribers.

Also I am hoping that the NHL will notify those on auto-renew of the cost at least 2 weeks before charging the payment method per an email I received from GCL Support in October 2012 when I asked how they would charge renewals for a shortened season:

Hello Brett,

Your request about Billing Questions has been received at 10/20/2012 09:10 AM

Thank you for your inquiry. Pricing and information in regards to new subscriptions for NHL Gamecenter Live will be available closer to the start of the regular season. Please check back in late October for more details. If your account is set to auto renew you will recieve an email at least 2 weeks in advance before you are charged. In the event of a season canceling lockout your account will not be renewed.

Best Regards,

Please do NOT reply to this Email. If the information listed in this email does not resolve your customer service issue, please call 866-210-6349.

Waiting for the email from GameCenter with pricing info.

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

tobarefeet

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 am

I've been using Center Ice for years, but this year thinking of trying GCL. In past years I've read here that the video quality was hit or miss and so I'm debating whether to give it a go. I have the X 2 Angry Birds Roku box and just upgraded cable modem to blazing 50 mbps.
Thoughts on the video quality? I've been spoiled by the MLB quality which is brilliant on my HDTV and wondering if it's close to that?

Gilgamesh

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:10 am

tobarefeet wrote:
I've been using Center Ice for years, but this year thinking of trying GCL. In past years I've read here that the video quality was hit or miss and so I'm debating whether to give it a go. I have the X 2 Angry Birds Roku box and just upgraded cable modem to blazing 50 mbps.
Thoughts on the video quality? I've been spoiled by the MLB quality which is brilliant on my HDTV and wondering if it's close to that?

I don't know where you heard that the video quality was hit or miss but I do not remember anyone reporting that last season.

For me the quality was always very good to great.

reaper88

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:45 am

I just got an email form the nhl...gameceter is 49.95 for this season...not bad

themew

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 am

If they want to keep the current die-hard fans happy they should charge $50 for the new signups and let us legacy users watch the 3 1/2 month season for free so we'll sign up again next season.

Big mistake charging us long-time GCL customers a dime this year.

davidchance

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 am

themew wrote:
If they want to keep the current die-hard fans happy they should charge $50 for the new signups and let us legacy users watch the 3 1/2 month season for free so we'll sign up again next season.

Big mistake charging us long-time GCL customers a dime this year.

Or they shoul;d do like mlb does and have a free game of the day. That would get some interest in the sport.

mcrin

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 am

In years past they have offered the first month of CenterIce for free, at least on Comcast. I wonder if they'll have any kind of free preview this year?

I still haven't pulled the plug on the cable yet, so for now am getting NBC, NBCSN, and the regional sports network...that will pretty much give me a game each night, though not my favorite team. I may still pony up the $50 just to see what it looks like on the Roku.

Gilgamesh

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 am

If $50.00 is the best they can do they have lost me for the foreseeable future. $25.00 would have been OK but this is just an extension of the treatment they have shown in the past and I didn't even get dinner, a few drinks and a movie.

reaper88

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 am

Im looking at it this way...I am a die hard fan so, i pay the 160 for a full season every year...so cutting it to 50 for a half season isnt so bad..Just my opinion.