Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

shelbz
Topic Author

Roku will not connect to internet

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:32 pm

My Roku HD has been working for well over a year, today when I tried to watch Hulu it would not connect....same with Netflix and Amazon.

I restarted the box and the time was off by 9 and a half hours, restarted 3 more times to the same issue so I reset the box. Now at the setup screen it will connect to my router and LAN but not to the internet. I have tried 2 WRT54G routers wired and wireless and an Apple Airport as well as my phone as a hotspot but all the same ending.

Is there something I am missing here? I can't change any internet settings on the box other than wired or wireless and neither are working yet my internet is working fine.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: Roku will not connect to internet

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:46 pm

First thing to try is removing your router's firewall temporarily (and I stress temporarily). If it connects, then reset the firewall and make certain that it stays connected. You can also try setting up the Roku in a DMZ (shouldn't be a security risk), and if that fails, then try a factory reset (you'll have to relink all your accounts, unfortunately :(). This works for the majority of people experiencing this problem.

Also make sure that your router's settings haven't changed recently (including firmware upgrades), because that can cause issues. If it has updated, you may have to go through each individual screen in the router trying different things.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

shelbz
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:54 pm

I've actually reset it already, now I am stuck in the guided setup. There have been no changes to the router and have now used 3 different routers as well as my cell phone as a hotspot which is on LTE, I have used my phone in the past with my Roku so I know the bandwidth is there on it as well.

The Roku has actually been on the DMZ for about 8 months after an issue with Netflix buffering caused me to put it on there. Firewall disabled and same thing, connects to local network but not internet.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:57 pm

If that's the case, and if no other forum regulars have any other suggestions to try, go ahead and PM me your name, address, phone number, and email address, along with your Roku Serial Number, and I'll forward it to CS for a follow up. They're usually good at responding within 24-48 hours either by phone or email, depending on the circumstances of the issue (as well as their case-load).

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

shelbz
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Sent

Thanks Shawn

SandyC

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Both of my Roku boxes stopped connecting to the internet yesterday about 3 pm CST. I have had both boxes since Dec 2010 and not had any problems, but out of the blue both will not connect. We have not changed anything in relation to the internet either. Everything else connects to the internet just fine. I have contacted Roku with live chat and they suggested to change my DNS server numbers. Well I have a Motorola SBG 901 wireless modem and logged into my router, but cannot change it that way. It says the DNS numbers are invalid. So, I called my ISP provider and they told me that they have had many people calling about this problem yesterday and today because of a firmware update that Roku has done. My ISP said that they will not change the DNS server numbers because they will not compromise their service for Roku. They basically said it was Roku's fault and Roku should fix the problem that they have caused with this firmware. So now I am stuck with 2 Roku boxes that cannot connect to the internet. What do I do now? Why is this my problem??? I'm paying for channels that I can't even watch now. Is there any other box or blu-ray player out there that I can hook up to my internet and get my paid channels? Someone please help!!

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Check to see what firmware version you have (Settings > Software Update), and report back to me.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

SandyC

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:09 pm

I have version 2.9 - build 1553

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:35 pm

PM me your serial number, and let me see what I can do on my end.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

SandyC

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Did you find out anything on your end?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:20 pm

I'm actually off-duty now until Monday, but I sent an email out just a little bit ago. I'll let you know what I hear back, hopefully before Monday.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

mcallo4358

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:20 pm

I have the same problem with my 2 Roku's. They both lost the internet at the same time yesterday. Haven't had any problems like this before. All my other internet devices are working properly.

dhampir

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:53 am

I just tried to setup my Roku 2 XD. It connects fine when 1st turned on then forces an update on you. After the update, it no longer will see or manually connect to any wireless networks. I spend half the day yesterday in customer support chat and they were unable to resolve my issue. My two 1st generation Rokus are still working fine although, I have not noticed a recent update for them. I wish I could stop this initial update as it seems to disable the wireless on my unit. Is there any way to override this or am I just going to have to get a replacement Roku?

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:58 am

dhampir wrote:
I wish I could stop this initial update as it seems to disable the wireless on my unit. Is there any way to override this or am I just going to have to get a replacement Roku?

The box doesn't ship with complete software. It only has what it needs to connect to the Roku server and load the latest full version.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

denibenz

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:12 pm

I have the exact same issue as dhampir. Just gave it as a Birthday present. Ererything worked fine until the update-then can't see any networks though they are definately present. Very frustrating!!!