Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

teamdelano

Re: Roku will not connect to internet

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:36 am

I am having the same issue, there have been no changes to my router

I have a roku XDS & roku HD they are not even a year old yet.
1. sw = ver. 2.9 hardware 2100x i have the latest update
2. linksys Router
3. Wireless
4. Have you done a hard or factory reset?
5. only happen at a all the time
6. Downstream 10.96 / Upstream 5.23
7. ISP = comcast
8. Location MA
9. Connection type to your TV (RWY)
10. Number of computers devices hooked up to your network 4 ( 2 Roku
11. this happens (all video titles )

when I try to play a movie or show on these channels (Netflix, Pub-D-Hub, Crunchy roll, Anime TV), it will not load. I will press play, and it will say that it is retrieving the video, and after a few seconds sometime it is a minute , it just goes back to the previous screen and the movie never loads. This has been going on for 3 days now. I have unplug my roku box for up to 12 hours, checked for updates but my ruku is up to date.

I know other have had this problem before with their roku, I have not seen an answer listed that will solve my issue. The problem doesn't happen when I stream online with my laptop or desktop.

Have you done a hard or factory reset? yes

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Please when posting your firmware, make certain you post the exact build as well. In some cases, you may have received an early roll-out of a build, or your unit may not be updated to the latest build.

I'm still looking into other alternative steps we can try, guys. Bear with me.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Bump.

Those of you having this issue, please post your Serial Numbers and exact Roku firmware build, so I can get the engineers to look into this for you. When posting the firmware, make sure you include the build number as well (ex x.x bXXXX).

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

hilwil75

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Model: 2100X
SW: Ver 2.9 build 1553
Srl#: K0A0A9051716

I've tried everything mentioned by previous posters on this box. My 2nd box is a 2XD with no connection issues like my 2100X. Thanks for offering your help, Shawn

tomed

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Same issues as described with others. Was working fine earlier today .

Model 3100X
SW Version 4.1 build 1275
Srl #: 13A17J048840

Tried hard reset, but still not connecting.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 am

Thanks. Forwarded to an engineer to look at the logs. Hopefully we'll see a fix/improvement as soon as they identify the problem.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

bwayne2000

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 am

My issue seems slightly different(?), but related:

While watching Hulu yesterday, the image started stuttering and then basically froze. Roku did not respond to commands from the remote. I unplugged and replugged the box to reset it. Upon reset, the Roku could not connect to the same wireless network it had connected to five minutes previous.

1. Go to Settings.
2. Go to Network settings. Roku indicates that it is not connected to a network, so I prompt the network setup flow.
3. Upon scanning my network, the Roku actually finds my wireless network. (I.e., the issue is not that the wireless network can't be found.)
4. I select my wireless network, and a prompted to enter the key, which is already populated (and correct), since I had entered it before this issue started happening.
5. Click "done" and Roku prompts a screen called "connecting to the Internet," where the first step of three is "connecting to wireless network."
6. Roku fails to ever complete step 1, connecting to the wireless network. (I.e., it never gets around to the next steps, connecting to the local network and connecting to the internet.)
7. Receive error screen indicating that Roku can't connect to my local network.

I've unplugged and replugged the Roku several times to see if that would solve the problem. (It didn't.) All other wireless devices in the household connect to the wireless network without any problems.

Software: version 2.9 - build 1553
Hardware: model N1000
Serial Number: 20G982002647

Thanks in advance for any help!

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:24 pm

I had the same problem once. Unplug your router for a few seconds and plug it back in.

-JT

seanhu0399

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:24 am

Is anyone else still having this problem? I just bought a 2XD yesterday and as soon as I plugged it in and allowed the firmware to updated the Roku couldn't see any wireless networks at all, just as others have described. I did a hard reset 3 separate times and each time the Roku would find my router and connect until immediately after the update. It's pretty clear that the update is breaking connectivity. Any progress on this at all yet? This has been an incredibly discouraging experience so far and I haven't even had the opportunity to use the thing yet. :(

Model: 3050X
Can't see the software version because I'm stuck in setup after the update

maprpr

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:26 am

I dont think I have ever seen a resolution to this issue.
The standard response seems to be "reboot" and "disable firewall" etc.
But no one seems to understand that the Roku box detects all the wireless networks before the software update and then downloads the update without any issues. But after that it magically cant detect any wireless networks at all. Sounds to me like its a bug within the update itself.

seanhu0399

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:59 am

Exactly. I think at this point most of us have tried the standard fixes without much success. The existence of connectivity prior to the software update and the subsequent loss of connectivity only AFTER the update seems to be the one common denominator. I just wish someone would acknowledge that so we could start moving towards a solution. I can't even say whether or not I like my Roku yet because I haven't been able to use it.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:59 am

maprpr wrote:
I dont think I have ever seen a resolution to this issue.
The standard response seems to be "reboot" and "disable firewall" etc.
But no one seems to understand that the Roku box detects all the wireless networks before the software update and then downloads the update without any issues. But after that it magically cant detect any wireless networks at all. Sounds to me like its a bug within the update itself.

Generally, rebooting and/or disabling the firewall actually works and allows you to connect, which is why it is often cited. There have been a few instances where the user also left the Roku unplugged overnight, and the next morning after it rebooting, it connected without issue.

In most instances such as this, it's the router that is causing the root issue. It may be getting confused by the Roku. If you can hardwire the Roku directly to the router/modem, try that as well.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 am

maprpr wrote:

I understand why it seems like that's the problem, but it's impossible that that's what's happening. Here's why -- if the box had actually updated its software, it would not try to update again. Even after a hard reset / factory reset / whatever, the updated software would still be there. So the fact that it keeps trying to update software means the software update is not succeeding for some reason. It sounds to me like the same software is initially finding the networks and then later after the failed update, failing to find them. Something is certainly going wrong, but it's not due to bugs in a software update that aren't present in the original software.

--Mark

seanhu0399

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:32 am

If you say so, but not a single one of the fixes suggested has shown even on sign of correcting the problem. I've been trying them all since the day I purchased the Roku. The fact that more than one person is having this exact problem ONLY after the Roku tries to update the software following a factory reset is what has so many of us confused. There has been no sign of a failed update at all, just an inability to connect to any network at all following what appears to be a successful update. I don't mean to come off as ungrateful because I'm certainly not, but this is incredibly disappointing.

maprpr

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:09 pm

If your analysis is correct it doesnt address the following issues
1. If the problem is somehow my router not interacting well with Roku, then Roku should be able to atleast detect other wireless networks in the area. I have several that Roku itself detected before the update but cannot detect any of these after the update. I would not imagine that everyone of these networks has issues.
2. If the update itself is failing that in itself is a bug. The hardware is Roku's and the software update is Roku's. My router cannot and should not be affecting how Roku goes about updating its software.

Working with Roku's customer service is an "exercise in frustration" to put it pleasantly.