Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

kk801

Re: Roku will not connect to internet

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:02 pm

I'm having the same problem with one of my two boxes. Worked fine 8-10 days ago, and then stopped being able to connect to the wireless network. The newer box connects fine and has shown no issues in the same time period. I've initiated a factory reset, disabled the firewall and was able to connect to the network/internet long enough to activate the box again. When I tried to open Hulu plus, I was prompted for an update, and was then unable to connect to the network. Firewall is still disabled, re-booting the router and the box have not resolved the connectivity issue.

Model N1100
S/W version 3.0, build 2227
SN C0C9A3014430

glennswn@yahoo.com

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:40 pm

I have two Rokus, one is a model N1100 activated 11/27/09 and connected via ethernet. It works fine. I have another connected until October 15th (I think) with a wireless connected. I have not been able to connect since I tried on October 15th. I have followed this forum and have tried by disconnecting the power, by using the reset button, and finally I did a factory reset and then disabled my network firewall. Nothing worked. I get green for connecting to wireless network, then it will not connect to my local network. The Roku identifies the local network, but will not connect. Before I tried the factory reset, I wrote down the specifications: Software Version 3.0 Build 2227 Model 2100X Serial No. K0A13U008805 The MAC addresses had been shown, but no IP address ie: it showed 0.0.0.0. Note, this was before the factory reset. Now, I cannot get to the screen where the data is shown. I have a Cisco ValetPlus wireless router and am running Windows 7. I am completely frustrated with this and am contemplating tossing this device after less than six months of use.

glennswn@yahoo.com

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:41 pm

I forgot, my model number is 2100X

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Can you swap the boxes? Will the N1100 make a wireless connection?

-JT

admm8520

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:44 pm

I am having the same issues as the others here, and just curious where everyone is at with this? Did any of the previous posters get it resolved or are you all still sitting here trying to figure this whole thing out?

I have been going crazy for days trying to understand why I keep getting an error that it's not connecting to the internet, although I do see my wireless network on there and I have the right passcode. I finally made my way here and see that I'm not alone, but not sure where we all are then :)

I have the XR box, wireless connection, Version 3.0 build 2227, hardware version N1101

Just aggitated and wanting a fix for my fix!

Thanks

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:51 pm

admm8520 wrote:
I am having the same issues as the others here, and just curious where everyone is at with this? Did any of the previous posters get it resolved or are you all still sitting here trying to figure this whole thing out?

I have been going crazy for days trying to understand why I keep getting an error that it's not connecting to the internet, although I do see my wireless network on there and I have the right passcode. I finally made my way here and see that I'm not alone, but not sure where we all are then :)

I have the XR box, wireless connection, Version 3.0 build 2227, hardware version N1101

Just aggitated and wanting a fix for my fix!

Thanks

Try setting your Roku in a DMZ, and/or temporarily disabling your Router's firewall.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

admm8520

Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:21 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Try setting your Roku in a DMZ, and/or temporarily disabling your Router's firewall.

C. Shawn Smith

How does someone do that? Is it in the router settings? and is this safe? Would I just set it and try to see if it works that way and then what, leave it that way or switch it back?

EDIT*- I found the setting in my router config to enable or disable DMZ but if I enable it should the IP address be changed to what it is now, because its showing a number off. Sorry for being so unknowledgeable in this, but I just don't want to change something and mess it up and not be able to get my way out of it. Thanks and the earlier questions still apply too

Thank you Shawn for your help!

Gilgamesh

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:00 am

admm8520 wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:

C. Shawn Smith

How does someone do that? Is it in the router settings? and is this safe? Would I just set it and try to see if it works that way and then what, leave it that way or switch it back?

In your router's settings there is, probably, a section in the security settings for the DMZ. You just put your Roku's address in that section and the Roku is outside all security settings. Since the Roku is not a security risk at all there is no danger to your network and if it works that way you can leave it there without risk.

Since my cheap router only has one entry for the DMZ I run one of my two Rokus in the DMZ but I do keep one there so that if I have issues I can easily diagnose the problem without having to worry about security settings. I can change which Roku is in the DMZ easily. If my router allowed multiple entries in the DMZ I would run both in the DMZ.

Also in your router's settings there is, probably, a section to allow exceptions for the firewall and you might have success just putting your Roku under that but the DMZ is easier as it requires no additional settings and often using the exceptions require more parameters.

admm8520

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:49 am

Thank you Gilgamesh! I will try that

OK here's what I ran into.... Under applications and gaming I found DMZ, under that I have the choice to either enable or disable and when I choose enable it comes up w/ my IP address, minus the last number which can be changed but when I try to change it to my IP it says invalid IP address, so I dont' see where I can put my roku's address anywhere... so now I feel I'm back to square one... Maybe I'm missing something somewhere but I think its just the lack of knowledge in this area.

glennswn@yahoo.com

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:36 am

I posted last Saturday that I have two Rokus, one is a model N1100 activated 11/27/09 and connected via ethernet. It works fine. I have a Roku 2 connected until October 15th (I think) with a wireless connected. I have not been able to connect since I tried on October 15th. I have followed this forum and have tried by disconnecting the power, by using the reset button, and finally I did a factory reset and then disabled my network firewall. Nothing worked. I get green for connecting to wireless network, then it will not connect to my local network. The Roku identifies the local network, but will not connect. Before I tried the factory reset, I wrote down the specifications: Software Version 3.0 Build 2227 Model 2100X Serial No. K0A13U008805 The MAC addresses had been shown, but no IP address ie: it showed 0.0.0.0. Note, this was before the factory reset. Now, I cannot get to the screen where the data is shown. I have a Cisco ValetPlus wireless router and am running Windows 7. I am completely frustrated with this and am contemplating tossing this device after less than six months of use

JT asked if I could "switch them out," that is, if I could use the model N1100 with a wireless connection. It is close to the router, so I have left it as wired, but tried to get it to connect wireless last night. (I had previously used it as a wireless connection.)

The answer is 'NO." Neither Roku will connect wireless. I reconnected the wired connection and the N1100 works fine. Still without service on the other one. I have not seen a hint of a solution from the Roku people.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 am

Hi----

so is anything running on wireless at this time?If not then the problem may be your router.
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am

If neither box will connect, the issue is most likely the router. Have you tried MAC filtering and/or turning of QoS?

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

glennswn@yahoo.com

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:03 pm

I find it interesting that after months of use right out of the box that the Roku would stop working and it would be the router's fault. This, right after a firmware update that messed up a lot of people.

I have other wireless devices that continue to work with the same router; the only things not working are Roku.

I thought this site was monitored by Roku and a solution might be offered, but was mistaken. I forwarded a previous message to: feedback@Roku.com and was contacted. I was asked for my phone number so they could work with me on trying to figure it out. I am not proficient with dealing with router settings, but was led to believe that Roku would be simple to use. I will post on this forum the results of my experience with Roku support after I try that.

jedimko

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:30 pm

I just moved to a new house. I set up my network and used the same router as before. Everything is working on my wireless network except my roku box. The password setting remained the same but it refuses to connect. Once again all of my other wireless devices are working just fine. I have a roku XD running software version 3.0. I think we would all appreciate your immediate attention to this matter. Thank you.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:09 am

jedimko wrote:
The password setting remained the same but it refuses to connect.

Try changing the password itself to see if it connects. I've actually had this issue (not with a Roku), and that fixed things up right away. You'll then want to make sure there isn't any interference coming from a nearby network.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------