Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Milkmanx

Re: NHL GameCenter is just the pits this season, ruining hoc

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:45 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
DaBronx wrote:
Game over. No issues. A happy hockey fan tonight!

Peace

brett

Great! Although I haven't posted to this thread, I have been monitoring it a bit off and on. I'll try to pass on some of the feedback in my weekly report this week. Since we work closely with our partners, it should make its way to the developer.

C. Shawn Smith

Will you also pass along what was mentioned in the 1st post, showing the OT and SO even if you have scores turned off sucks big time. I go out of my way to not see scores of local blacked out games and its instantly ruined when I log in to watch when it shows OT or SO.. The words FINAL should be all that shows..
Roku1 2100X XDS, Roku2 XS 3100X, Vizio 52" LED/LCD

calebp

Re: NHL GameCenter is getting better, streaming well (10/25/

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:09 pm

I take it all back - tonight the Red Wings / Wild game has been atrocious. Switching between an XD and an XDS, home and away streams, wired and wireless. All awful. Constant reloading, audio getting 5-10 seconds out of sync, freezing. Death loops.

Contrast that with an iPad (flawless on wireless, not a single hiccup) and a web-based stream (similarly flawless). I'll be ditching my Roku tomorrow in favor of an Apple TV - hopefully it works as well as the iPad stream. This was the last straw. Awful.

themew

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Well I can say my experience tonight was as bad as 'calebp' 's experience. Watching the Leaf game was great during the first period, however, as usual it gets pretty choppy during the second period, and even worse near the last 2-3 minutes of the second and third periods. Seems as though as more people tune-in to various games, the NHL or Neulion (not sure which servers the channel uses) gets bogged down with bandwidth and goes from great to bad to worse with reloads.

In fact, at around the 2 minute mark of the second period, the channel went to black and a new error I've never seen came up. Something about 'network congestion' and to try my connection later? No idea... Anyway, I went back to home and then back into the game and it came up just as the period was ending. The people over at NHL and/or Neulion should be able to check their logs during the 2nd and 3rd period for the errors the HOME stream was throwing.

I assume this is why the channel remains in BETA - so we can't really complain about it. But at $19.95 a month for Center Ice and a $100 Roku2 XS box, it's difficult not to complain when you're really into the game and it jumps ahead by 1-2 minutes, you miss a goal due to buffering or, like tonight, the channel simply errors out to a text screen. This should not be the case with a stable 50meg down wired cat5 line.

'nuff said.

Gilgamesh

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:22 am

The problem with the results being given away in the description still continues. However I do NOT think it is in the ch rather I think it is just what is typed in to the fields that are displayed.

ex. Yesterday Winnipeg at Florida shows "FINAL SO" and that is what happened while Nashville at Chicago shows just "FINAL" when it actually was an overtime game so "FINAL OT" would be expected from past behavior.

I think someone just failed to type "OT" when they were filling out the fields that are displayed on our screens.

Now if we can just get that "someone" (probably works for minimum wage in the middle of the night) to completely forget the "SO" and "OT" that bug will be quashed.

jetman1287

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:52 am

The CS is pretty terrible. I called about a billing issue and didn't even get into my technical concerns. Person wouldn't have a clue what I was saying.

Milkmanx

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:04 pm

I am also pretty certain that the Home and Away streams are always backwards, can anyone else confirm this bug..
Roku1 2100X XDS, Roku2 XS 3100X, Vizio 52" LED/LCD

themew

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Milkmanx wrote:
I am also pretty certain that the Home and Away streams are always backwards, can anyone else confirm this bug..

Yes, but only in the archived games. When watching a live game, the home/away streams are correct.

BTW, another great night of Leafs hockey... Wish the panning jitter was gone. Anyone have any news when version 2.0 will come out of beta??

UprightCitzen

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:22 am

themew wrote:
Milkmanx wrote:

Yes, but only in the archived games. When watching a live game, the home/away streams are correct.

BTW, another great night of Leafs hockey... Wish the panning jitter was gone. Anyone have any news when version 2.0 will come out of beta??

I'm not so sure about that. It seems like they are fairly random. I usually just pick and hope it's the right broadcast that I wanted to watch. The people we should be complaining to however are Neulion.

themew

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:24 am

UprightCitzen wrote:
themew wrote:
Milkmanx wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. It seems like they are fairly random. I usually just pick and hope it's the right broadcast that I wanted to watch. The people we should be complaining to however are Neulion.

I absolutely positively agree... Neulion is the reason we didn't have an NHL channel that worked until nearly 2 hours after opening night began.

I've emailed Neulion (you can't call them, at least there are no phone numbers on their site, they expect you to call NHL directly for tech support issues), but their support is very limited to sales.

If you or anyone has a way to get an email to Neulion's tech people or the Roku mods, that would probably finally end this thread.

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:14 pm

themew wrote:

I've emailed Neulion (you can't call them, at least there are no phone numbers on their site, they expect you to call NHL directly for tech support issues), but their support is very limited to sales.

If you or anyone has a way to get an email to Neulion's tech people or the Roku mods, that would probably finally end this thread.

I did a whois through Network Solutions and have this public contact info to pass along including a telephone number.

Domain Name: NEULION.COM

Administrative Contact :
TECH, DNS
dnstech@jumptvinc.com
1600 Old Country Rd
Plainview, NY 11803
US
Phone: 516-249-6565

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

themew

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:22 pm

Hey Brett

I got their number through whois as well, and unfortunately calling them sends you right through to New Business sales, as they typically don't deal with end users. They spend their day talking to people at Vizio, Panasonic, Sharp, Roku etc etc

Their contact page > http://www.neulion.com/?contactus also gets you nowhere. Sending an email to them results in either a quick canned answer or a link to the service in question, in this case they told me to contact NHL Gamecenter Live.

My fingers are crossed that eventually the channel will come out of Beta and we'll have something great to watch.

Mills

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:17 pm

themew wrote:
Milkmanx wrote:

Not the case with every user... I've watched 3 archived games since the season began, and in every one, the home or away feed I've selected has been the one I desired.

Mills

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:

Now if we can just get that "someone" (probably works for minimum wage in the middle of the night) to completely forget the "SO" and "OT" that bug will be quashed.

Or you can just do what I do... hold your hand up in front of your face so that the bottom half of the TV screen which displays Final SO or OT is obscured, but the top half isn't, so you can still see which game you're selecting.

Gilgamesh

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:01 pm

Mills wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:

Or you can just do what I do... hold your hand up in front of your face so that the bottom half of the TV screen which displays Final SO or OT is obscured, but the top half isn't, so you can still see which game you're selecting.

But that same spoiler appears in the upper left of the feed selection page.

I guess you could move your hand during the transition but that should not be necessary as those spoilers should NEVER appear if the scores are turned off. It serves absolutely no purpose except to spoil the game to a fairly large extent. It almost seems like the NHL has hired at least one moron to design the user interface of their ch and then put him/her/it in charge of development. There was clearly no rational thought behind the decision to have the result spoiled in this manner. Except, maybe, if they are actively trying to drive people away from using the NHL ch.

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:46 pm

This posting of "Final SO" really sucks moose testicles.

I have had to wait for the archive of today's Duck-Ranger game (blacked out live in LA) but as I log on to watch I see "Final SO".

WTF?

Isn't the NHL listening to how they are ruining the games for fans. I am sitting here like a god flower fool if I watch the first 65 minutes knowing that the game is going into a shoot out.

I have written to the NHL with no response.

Roku isn't doing a thing about it.

FIX IT flower IT! THIS IS PISSING THE HECK OUT OF ME! I AM ON THE VERGE OF CANCELING THE WHOLE PACKAGE AND DISPUTING THE CHARGE.

Monday is the deadline to fix the spoilers or I am gone from GameCenter.

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)