Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

NHL GameCenter is getting better, streaming well (10/25/11)

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:04 am

As a long time hockey fan I am extremely dissatisfied with the NHL GameCenter channel this season.

Performance has been spotty, today's Ranger-Islander game live had audio/video off by about 5 seconds, I was forced to listen to the game instead of watching. I tried exiting the channel and entering again. I tried rebooting the Roku. I tried standing on one leg while holding my nose closed and facing east. Stream still was crappy.

Now I log on to watch 2 games I missed and the NHL in its infinite illogical logic has decided to tell me in advance of watching those games that they both went into extended play.

Kings at Flyers - Final OT

Jersey at Nashville - Final SO

4 other games from Saturday also tell you in advance if the game went into overtime or a shoot-out.

It's hard to enjoy the season so far with the frustrations.

Other problems that have been going on since opening day that remain unresolved are "ALL" (as in EVERY) archived games have the feeds reversed. Every freaking game in the archives has the home team feed on the away selection and the away team feed on the home team selection. Live feeds are ok if you can deal with the choppy often un-smooth stream. And if you are lucky the audio and video will be in sync.

Wait for a commercial break or intermission for a real treat. You get to hear the worst music ever recorded played at an insanely loud volume. It will rattle your brain and scramble any eggs in your refrigerator.

Writing to NHL customer service is a joke. No response to my multiple emails and I see many other Roku users having the same result in contacting the NHL. The NHL fan forum is also full of users on Roku and other platforms that are not happy with the performance this season.

And if you think watching the NHL on Roku is a problem try the PS3. A lot worse. A hockey game on the ps3 this season is like watching Wheel of Fortune as all I seem to get is that stupid reloading spinning wheel.

As I am typing this I notice that the King-Flyer archive (Kings feed) keeps reloading and the audio and video are out of sync. And yes, the feeds are reversed.

Re-loads continuing, maybe the channel likes me and is actually blinking at me. <sarcastic grin>

Not a happy camper here at 4:00 AM. Can't wait for 4:20 this morning, may even move the clock up manually.

Peace

brett
Last edited by DaBronx on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

Mills

Re: NHL GameCenter is just the pits this season, ruining hoc

Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:21 am

Watched the Avs/Habs game last night.. not one single problem. Video looked great, smooth as silk.

The music during the commercial breaks is rather loud, but I'm lucky enough to have a button on my TV remote will lower the volume... all, without having to get out of the ole recliner.

themew

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:26 am

I completely agree with the OP - there are way too many issues that need to be resolved.

Question to MIlls > I have a Roku2 XS running on a 50Meg cable line with HDMI 1.3 and still get judder when watching live streams. What version of the Roku box are you using and how are you connected since you're getting smooth video? Do you have a MicroSD card in your Roku?

I also notice on HNIC that on Center Ice you get the intermission commentary (Coaches Corner) and on Gamecenter Live you get the ad-supported slide show with the most annoying music ever. Every time there's a commercial, I feel like I'm stuck on HOLD listing to 'we'll be right with you' music.

if anyone is able to achieve smooth video with a Roku2 on the NHL Beta channel (verison 2.0 / 10-07-11) I've really like to know your setup.

torpy

Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:52 am

I'm having similar problems, reversed feeds, spoilers on games in OT or OT + shootout, streams that skip ahead or lurch around wildly and trouble with the "watch from beginning" option on games in progress. However what I find even worse is the ridiculously LOUD muzak and asinine hold screens for commercial and intermission breaks. So far my only solution has been to watch Red Wings games exclusively as, for some unknown reason, their feed seems to consistently show commercials instead of screen savers.

All in all I'm very disappointed in the quality I'm getting for my money especially given the ridiculously stingy cancellation policy. 5 days is not nearly enough time to even find out what games are going to be blacked out for you. Case in point, living in Lancaster PA I expected to have the local market Flyers blacked out, imagine my surprise when I find out I also don't get to watch Washington Capitals games either. It's ridiculous. From what I understand there are multiple less legitimate ways to watch games at a lower cost that don't include blackouts, ridiculously annoying muzak or a crappy price/performance ratio.

If I could cancel this service I would but I'm already well past the date for it. It is astoundingly frustrating to be willing to pay a fair price for a service to end up with quality that is so far inferior.

DaBronx
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:29 pm

torpy wrote:
I'm having similar problems, reversed feeds, spoilers on games in OT or OT + shootout, streams that skip ahead or lurch around wildly and trouble with the "watch from beginning" option on games in progress. However what I find even worse is the ridiculously LOUD muzak and asinine hold screens for commercial and intermission breaks. So far my only solution has been to watch Red Wings games exclusively as, for some unknown reason, their feed seems to consistently show commercials instead of screen savers.

All in all I'm very disappointed in the quality I'm getting for my money especially given the ridiculously stingy cancellation policy. 5 days is not nearly enough time to even find out what games are going to be blacked out for you. Case in point, living in Lancaster PA I expected to have the local market Flyers blacked out, imagine my surprise when I find out I also don't get to watch Washington Capitals games either. It's ridiculous. From what I understand there are multiple less legitimate ways to watch games at a lower cost that don't include blackouts, ridiculously annoying muzak or a crappy price/performance ratio.

If I could cancel this service I would but I'm already well past the date for it. It is astoundingly frustrating to be willing to pay a fair price for a service to end up with quality that is so far inferior.

The NHL may have a 5 day cancellation policy but my credit card company and most others allow 180 days (6 months) for a customer to dispute a charge. A letter to your credit card company stating that the performance of the product is not as advertised because the product is unwatchable/unusable should get you a refund from your credit card company regardless of the NHL policy.

As for me, I am waiting a few more weeks but if not fixed by 4-6 weeks into the season I may just say fudge it and hang it up as a hockey fan. The level of frustration in attempting to watch a game is at it's zenith at this point for me.

It's not a Roku issue as the problems happen on other platforms too. It's clearly an NHL issue and they seem to be ignoring it.

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:55 am

Archives continue to have the feeds reversed as I watch the Blues-Ducks game from Sunday (Ducks feed). Video stream still not smooth. Good news is audio/video in sync (puck on stick, puck/players on boards). Best news is archives don't have that annoyingly loud music from hockey flower that is played during commercials and intermissions that are edited out of the archives (are you listening MLB?).

For reference, the ps3 has feeds on the archived games in the correct place but the streams are horrible. Constantly get the spinning wheel of reload when watching live or archived games.

Roku stream is far far better with an excellent crisp picture but still difficult to watch with the stutters/quick blinking re-load screens/audio-video sync issues among others.

Hope tonight brings better results.

And still no response to any of my emails to NHL GameCenter customer service. A week since my last one. Will send another one today even if only for kicks and giggles.

NHL? Not Happy Lately!

Peace

brett

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:45 am

As promised I just wrote to the NHL through their website and got the pop-up that my message was submitted. Here is a copy and paste of what I wrote them.

This is the third time writing, neither of my two previous emails have been responded to even though you promise a 24 hour response. My last email was a week ago, Monday October 9, 2011. I had also written the previous week.

Here are my issues I am experiencing while trying to watch GameCenter on the Roku device. For reference I have a Roku2 XS and a Roku XR-HD, performance is similar on both.

1) The video stream is choppy. It stutters then jumps ahead or just plain stutters. Also many quick flash re-load/re-buffers during live games where the screen goes black for a second, reload screen appears and then the game is back.

2) Audio and video are frequently out of sync. Pucks hit sticks and a few seconds later you hear it.

3) Music played during commercials is at an annoyingly loud volume. Volume jumps when going from game to a commercial or intermission. Please lower the music, we are watching in our homes and not an arena so no need to continually assault our ears.

4) Spoiler alerts. Please do not add "OT" of "SO" to game "Final". To go watch an archive and see "Final OT" or "Final SO" takes the fun out of watching the first 60 minutes.

5) Every archived game this season on the Roku device has the feeds reversed. To watch an archived game if you want the home team feed you must select the away feed.

Other issues to but if you can consider looking at and fixing these 5 it would be a great start.

As I said, this is my third email, the first 2 have gotten me no response from you. Please surprise me and respond.

Thank you.

Peace

brett

I am just frustrated, even put the wrong date for last Monday in my email (was the 10th) really looked forward to the season and watching the games lately has been a problem filled adventure. Not what I signed up for.

Peace

brett

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Calling the NHL is as ineffective as writing them. I called the 866-210-6349 number, went through the menu to technical assistance and hung up after being on hold for 32 minutes. Never spoke to a human. But they do play loud play by play while on hold.

I'm fed up, if no resolve by Friday I plan on cancelling by charge back through my credit card company.

The total lack of communication from the NHL to repeated emails and the waste of over 30 minutes today on the phone are the final straws.

brett

MikeT98213

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:26 pm

I wrote to NHL Gamecenter support on opening night (10/6) and received a response one full week later (10/13). By then I already canceled due to the problems and the 5-day cancellation window. This should be an issue to direct to the Attorney General's office. This product is being sold, it is horribly flawed and there is a good chance that the provider will refuse to extend credit to customers who, on good faith, opted to perservere while the problems are worked out.

Problem here is that you can't even get anyone to admit to the fact that there are problems and to assure customers that they are being worked out. The software has not been updated since the start of the season, no one is getting timely responses, ROKU technical support does little more than suggest you "recycle" the box and/or make changes to router settings and waiting on the phone for GCL support requires that you be either unemployed or retired.

I'm about to re-up with DirecTV for the Center Ice package which is disappointing given the absence of HD feeds from Canada and the fact that I lose the ability to watch the games remotely.

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:34 pm

I finally got an email response from NHL GameCenter support and it is pretty lame and useless. Don't know if it's to my first, second or third email. Read it for yourself:

from NHL GCL Support NHLGCLSupport@nhl.com
to
date Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM
subject [NHL GCL] Response to your Inquiry

Please do NOT reply to this Email. If the information listed in this email does not resolve your customer service issue, please call 866-210-6349.

Hello Brett,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. Your suggestions have been forwarded to our development department, who are already working on a Roku enhancement.

Also, are you experiencing any issues with GCL on your PC or Mac and/or other devices?

Thank you for supporting GameCenter Live and the NHL.

Thank you,
NHL Web Support

Please do NOT reply to this Email. If the information listed in this email does not resolve your customer service issue, please call 866-210-6349.

One hour till tonight's disappointment begins, first game tonight is on Versus, GC first games at 4:30 pacific.

I don't think the NHL likes its fans anymore.

Peace

brett

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:33 pm

I just watched the entire first period of the Florida-Tampa Bay game live (TB feed) and it was as close to perfect as it could get. Not one issue that I noticed, no stutters in the stream that distracted from the game, no reloads, audio/video in sync, picture spectacular and the music during commercials seemed toned down a bit.

Happy to see it and happy to report it.

Switching to Pittsburgh-Winnipeg game that is starting now (Pit feed). Hope the good viewing continues.

Anyone else watching live games today? How is your stream?

Peace

brett

torpy

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Saw one period of TB-FLA with limited issues, a couple of hiccups on loading but it evened out. Good image quality but a couple of instances of skipping a second or two into the future. Overall good enough for me.

However, I just switched over to watch the Pens-Jets game to find it is not available in my area. I know this isn't a Roku problem but for anyone else who might be on the fence and in my area;
Lancaster PA is subject to blackouts for the following teams:
Philadelphia Flyers
Washington Capitals
Pittsburgh Penguins
It's ridiculous, I have no way to see Caps or Pens games other than this. Flyers games, sure I get it, they are under the deathgrip of Comcast/NBC/Universal.
Also it's a good 5 hours to Pittsburgh, so just because it's in the same state doesn't mean it's remotely close, case in point: I can drive to Boston in just a little more time than it takes to get to Pittsburgh.

I really wish we could get into the 21st century here, at the very least the channel could show me which games are blacked out at the game listing level instead of wasting my time trying games that are blacked out.

Mills

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:19 pm

themew wrote:

Question to MIlls > I have a Roku2 XS running on a 50Meg cable line with HDMI 1.3 and still get judder when watching live streams. What version of the Roku box are you using and how are you connected since you're getting smooth video? Do you have a MicroSD card in your Roku?.

I have the Roku HD|XR connected, via an ethernet cable, to my AT&T Uverse modem (have no idea what the speed of it is, but 99.9% of the time I have no problems whatsoever with streaming video either on my Roku or other devices. The HDMI cable I use is the standard one that came with my Roku when I bought it back in 2009.

dwh08

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:24 pm

I've got a Roku XR connected via wireless (I think my cable internet is about 15mbps). Game quality is terrible. Minimum sound and video quality, plus stops to buffer every few minutes. Unwatchable. No other streaming service ever has any problems - Netflix, Amazon, Hulu all stream reliably. Really disappointing to have to watch on a little computer screen instead of my LCD.

xihammerix

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:30 pm

The NHL GameCenter app on Roku is by bar the worst app on the player. It constantly drops video feed, is laggy, jumpy, and poor audio quality. I've seen better 3rd party Internet streams work better than this. When it's working at it's full potential it's great, but that's only about 5 minutes of an entire game. The NHL should be ashamed of this piece of garbage they allow the shield to be on. When you watch an archive game it is marginally better. I subscribed to GameCenter for the fact it was on Roku alone. Now I'm forced to watch games on my computer instead of on my LCD. NetFlix, Hulu and Amazon Video work flawlessly. It's just horrible lazy work on the part of the NHL. Disgusted. They better get their sh** figured out by the end of October otherwise I'm canceling my subscription to GameCenter. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up after the opening night flub up. Unless I'm not doing something right, but my Internet streams everything else just fine so I doubt I am.

I hate for my first post to be like this, but I've had it. I need my HOCKEY! :D