Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

fritz39
Topic Author

Firmware push killed my box and tech support is worthless.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:05 am

My XDS box stopped working sometime this week. Problem seems to be intermittent with the wireless connection. Says there is
no network connection and when I go through the setup my wireless network shows up strong and sometimes it connects briefly but
most times it is bad at either the wireless connect or the local network connect.

I've tried unplugging and plugging back in, 60+ sec. resets on the bottom button, factory reset on the player, and changing channels
on the router. It had been working before and I have lots of computers hooked up wirelessly so I doubt it has anything to do with
the wireless network.

I called support to see if there was a fix of maybe going back to an earlier build ( I have 3.0 build 2227) and spent 45 minutes trying
to troubleshoot it. I could barely understand the woman and no matter how many times I told her I'd tried all this she kept going
thru her list. I finally asked for a supervisor who then ran me thru the same list. Very frustrating to say the least. I love my Roku, but
after this experience, I'm ready to throw it in the trash.

I assume the software update is bad or killed the box. I guess it could be a coincidence that the box just died at the same time but
it seems like a lot of people are having problems.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: Firmware push killed my box and tech support is worthles

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:12 am

First of all, customer service has to go through those stages for their records. It's the way the present the information to supervisors and managers in order for a decision to be made on RMAs, etc. Without that, there's not much they can do.

Second, if you send me your Roku Serial #, I can forward that to an engineer so he can check your logs.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

utlax18

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Count me in as another disgruntled ROKU user after a frimware upgrade. All of a sudden my ROKU stops working. I have a ROKU2 upstairs and that works fine. My other ROKU downstairs will not connect to the local network. Sees the wireless, but won't connect to the network. I find it really odd one ROKU will connect, but the other will not. I have tried all the factory resets, different channels on my wireless router, re-boot of my wirless router and cable modem and nothing. Called ROKU support, while friendly, could not get the unit to recognize my local network. Only way the unit will connect is if I have my security turned off..and we know that isn't going to happen. So if you have any insights before I thow it in the trash, let me know :)

Gilgamesh

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:45 pm

utlax18 wrote:
Count me in as another disgruntled ROKU user after a frimware upgrade. All of a sudden my ROKU stops working. I have a ROKU2 upstairs and that works fine. My other ROKU downstairs will not connect to the local network. Sees the wireless, but won't connect to the network. I find it really odd one ROKU will connect, but the other will not. I have tried all the factory resets, different channels on my wireless router, re-boot of my wirless router and cable modem and nothing. Called ROKU support, while friendly, could not get the unit to recognize my local network. Only way the unit will connect is if I have my security turned off..and we know that isn't going to happen. So if you have any insights before I thow it in the trash, let me know :)

If it connects with the security turned off then there are a couple of things that might get you going:

1. Put your Roku in the DMZ of your router. The Roku is not a security risk so this in no way compromises your security.

2. Make an exception in your Routers firewall for the Roku.

The easiest is the first and while you are at it if your router will assign an address based on MAC address set that up for your Rokus so that the Roku's address will not change after a power off event. This allows things on your network to always know where to find your Roku thereby preventing the loss of network connectivity for your Roku due to its address changing.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:06 pm

utlax18 wrote:

And if the one that doesn't ordinarily connect suddenly connects if the security is turned off, that pinpoints the entire problem to your router/modem.

You should also try switching the 2 Roku units.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

utlax18

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:55 am

Thanks RokuShawn-

I just find it perplexing that I have the same wireless security settings for the ROKU2 I just bought and that works fine, but my older ROKU won't connect to the local network. Now, I just tried this morning connecting via wired network with my smaller TV and the old ROKU connected just fine. Even if I turn off MAC Address filtering, the old ROKU will still not connect to the local network, wirelessly. I will try what you suggested and let you know how it goes. Thanks for helping us out.

Mike

JustChecking

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 am

I have the Roku1 & a Roku 2 in the bedroom, all seem okay after the update, No connection issues with the Roku 1 (its still my main box, xd for living room). I would be more than upset if an update killed wifi connectivity.
Roku Boxes: XD and Roku 2 HD
Internet: 50 mbs blast plus Comcast
Using generic 720p HDMI ($3) from box to LCD TV via Roku 1. Roku 2 via Advanced optics hdmi 720p.
Connections: sb6141, Asus rt66u

utlax18

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 am

Gilgamesh is a life saver!!!! I place the ROKU that wasn't connecting to the local network into the DMZ and now it will access the local network!!! Woohoo..peace and harmony in the household now. I still find it very strange the new ROKU will connect to the local network with no problems, but hey...at least I have both ROKU's working together.

Thanks all for the support!

fritz39
Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:17 am

Here's an update to my wireless problems with the Roku. I finally got someone to give me an RMA through the online
chat system. Sent the box off on Monday. They say they will return it within 3 days upon receipt. Not sure if they
will fix it or send the new Roku 2. Still no idea whether my problem was caused by the firmware update or just
coincidence.

jambandit7

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:40 pm

fritz39 wrote:
Here's an update to my wireless problems with the Roku. I finally got someone to give me an RMA through the online
chat system. Sent the box off on Monday. They say they will return it within 3 days upon receipt. Not sure if they
will fix it or send the new Roku 2. Still no idea whether my problem was caused by the firmware update or just
coincidence.

You will most likely receive a "like for like" on your return. I doubt the firmware update rendered your box useless... wait until your replacement arrives and then post back if you have any issues.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
Roku2 4210RW-HDMI

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:30 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
1. Put your Roku in the DMZ of your router. The Roku is not a security risk so this in no way compromises your security.

While it may not present a direct security risk to your network, it does open the Roku up to ECP control by external parties. The Roku uses a port that is very commonly scanned by hackers, so having it in the DMZ definitely makes it vulnerable to attack. While it's unlikely anyone would have a reason to do so, allowing external control would technically make it possible for someone to take control of the box and wreak all kinds of havoc, from sending random key presses to ordering hundreds of pay-per-view rentals. Adding any network device to the DMZ should be an absolute last resort unless you know exactly what you're doing.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

markw

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:47 pm

This is VERY CLEARLY a bug in the updated firmware. I have an older Roku box -- the firmware hasn't been updated, and it works fine. I'm trying to set up a second box, and I'm seeing the same behavior as others have reported. Out of the box (and after a factory reset), it sees all the networks in range, connects without a problem, downloads the updated firmware, and reboots. After the reboot, it is flaky. Sometimes the scan finds one network, sometimes another, sometimes none. After MANY tries, it has not successfully connected to any network. This is the case with both my home routers AND my verizon MIFI with no security turned on at all. Screwing around with the router settings and putting the Roku in the DMZ is not an acceptable solution, particularly because IP is dynamic, and the Roku box will be assigned a different IP address every time it is restarted. Roku needs to 1) Acknowledge the problem, and 2) Fix the problem.

In the meantime, is there ANY way to skip the firmware update after a reset and use the older firmware that has no connection issues?

fritz39
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:04 pm

Received the replacement Roku XDS today and I'm back online. I thought I would point out a few problems I had and a
little background in case someone has similar problems. I have QWEST DSL and use a Q1000 modem. When I first
plugged in the box and tried to connect to my network it failed. I had to choose "other network" and put in my SSID
and password. That worked, but it immediately downloaded a firmware update and rebooted. Same problem again
with trying the scanned network option and needed to use the "other network". I don't ever remember having this
problem with the old firmware so maybe they broke something. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that I stay
connected. And yes I tried this on the box that got replaced with out any luck so it was definitely broken.