Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cb1
Topic Author

Amazon Prime Problems....

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:40 am

Hi,

Wow - I'm actually NOT having problems to speak of on HuLu.. though I should pay closer attention.

I paid for Amazon Prime and recently - it's not working well - at all. Though I cannot speak for the problem not existing somewhere else - with other channels I mean. Those just don't jump out at me if they are.

I always expect maybe 1 or two play stoppages while the content spools *(or whatever the term is)

But on Amazon Prime - it's generally a few times a minute - which is unacceptable.

I have a Netgear Roku box that I think I bought last Spring - possibly last winter.

Can anyone provide any info that might be able to help? I have been on numerous support chats with Roku on the past two weeks regarding overall playability and have seemed to have made progress. But the Amazon thing stinks especially since we are paying for it.

I have a cable modem to a Netgear Wireless router. Cable internet around the 18Mbps range if I remember correctly.

Any specifics I can hunt down I would be happy too.

Thanks!

jcmolet

Re: Amazon Prime Problems....

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:12 am

Is your connection wired or wireless? If wireless, you may want to try a wired connection to determine if the issue is related to your connection method. If it turns out you have signifiantly poorer performance with a wireless connection, you may want to take steps to mitigate the problems. Numerous factors (e.g. distance from router, selected router channel, other devices on your LAN consuming bandwidth, etc.) can impact your wireless connection. Try changing these factors to evaluate the effect.

cb1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:02 am

I can try that - need to by a long ethernet cable. (about 15' away from router)

Have:

1- imac
2 - mac mini
3 - xbox
4 - iphone

all wireless - do any of these jump out as possibly problematic?

jcmolet

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:23 am

cb1 wrote:
I can try that - need to by a long ethernet cable. (about 15' away from router)

Have:

1- imac
2 - mac mini
3 - xbox
4 - iphone

all wireless - do any of these jump out as possibly problematic?

The devices themselves wouldn't be causing any issues. However, if you are utilizing those devices (e.g. downloading content, streaming movies, etc.) at the same time you are using your Roku player to stream content, that would impact the bandwidth available to the Roku player.

DBDukes

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:36 am

I'm running 2 Roku, 2 MacBooks, a Mac Mini, 2 iPads, an Xbox, an Apple TV, and a TiVo all wirelessly conncted to my network (which is connected to Internet via AT&T DSL 6M). Also, 2 wireless printers, but they don't access Internet. I don't have any streaming issues from Amazon. Sometimes from Hulu, but rarely ever from Amazon.

Run a check such as SpeedTest (http://speedtest.net/) to see what kind of speed you're getting.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

cb1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:19 am

Currently 35.81MBps. Which should point to no issues at that speed.

Couple things:

1 - I work from home and it's currently 1:11CST with virtually everyone else in the neighborhood at work (off their computers) - I don't know what impact this has but seems to have some as spooling is a pain in the evening.

2 - Amazon will initially show up as 4 dots. Reload, reload, reload down to 1 dots then still have spooling problems beyond that.

3 - I have a Netgear Roku (1st generation) box - could THAT possible have something to do with it?

4 - As I've discussed issues with ROKU support - they made MANY changes to my router preferences. Scared the bejeezus out of me because I earn my living from a home business and need to be connected. But the changes didn't seem to effect my computer and did - after more than 1 HARD boot - seem to help the ROKU performance.

I can test it tonight at prime movie time and see what could be going on also. I say that but when I look at my WiFi options - it shows 6 networks in the neighborhood currently active (including my own)