Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

preciouspaws78
Topic Author

Crackle suddenly "not available in my location"

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Anyone else getting this error message? I just watched a movie last night and now today I'm not able to access the channel. Anybody know what's up with this?

crassh76

Re: Crackle suddenly "not available in my location"

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:27 pm

preciouspaws78 wrote:
Anyone else getting this error message? I just watched a movie last night and now today I'm not able to access the channel. Anybody know what's up with this?

I just started watching Step Brothers on Crackle without a problem. I'm in Florida if it matters.
Roku Premiere
Roku Stick
and a bunch of original Rokus
Wifi 35 Mbps
Plume Pods
Philips 47" LCD 1080P
Roku to TV by HDMI for A/V
Eastern Time Zone (Florida zip code 34987)

katana1100

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Yep, same problem here, I'm in Michigan. Can't access Crackle, getting "not available in your loctation" error. I tried uninstalling Crackle and reinstalling with no luck. :(

rwhewitt

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Same message here in Southern California. If CRACKLE is now limiting itself to specific geographical area, it should be pulled immediately from the Channel Store. Only full access channels should be listed.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Crackle is fine in Cleveland, OH. I did notice a "Papa Johns" commercial before the movie this time, usually it's always been Sony/Crackle ads. Maybe they're trying to institute some type of ad/area targeting

mikebdoss

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:58 pm

I'd wager "temporary problem" before freaking out, folks.

scyber

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 am

I believe crackle is one of the channels that doesnt work outside of the US. My guess is that whatever IP your ISP assigned to you, is being picked up (incorrectly) as a foreign IP. This could be b/c of a number of reasons. The ISP could have recently acquired a new IP block, the IP-Geographic lookup service that Crackle uses could have an error in their DB, Crackle could have an error in their code (when was the channel last updated?), etc.

I'd try going here:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

And see where the map places your IP address. If the map shows something outside of the US, then the problem isn't likely with the Crackle channel's code. Either way, its probably best if you contact Crackle to make them aware of the problem. even if it isn't a problem with their code, they will know where to escalate the issue to.

RokuPatrick

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:42 am

Is anyone still having this problem?

jcmolet

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:04 am

No problems here in Arizona.

DaveLessnau

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:59 pm

I had it. So, I deleted the channel and re-acquired it. Worked fine after that.

Buckeye911

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:46 pm

scyber wrote:
I believe crackle is one of the channels that doesnt work outside of the US. My guess is that whatever IP your ISP assigned to you, is being picked up (incorrectly) as a foreign IP. This could be b/c of a number of reasons. The ISP could have recently acquired a new IP block, the IP-Geographic lookup service that Crackle uses could have an error in their DB, Crackle could have an error in their code (when was the channel last updated?), etc.

I'd try going here:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

And see where the map places your IP address. If the map shows something outside of the US, then the problem isn't likely with the Crackle channel's code. Either way, its probably best if you contact Crackle to make them aware of the problem. even if it isn't a problem with their code, they will know where to escalate the issue to.

I live in Virginia and access Crackle here but I was in Canada last week and Crackle streamed with no problem. Netflix wouldn't stream for me though, I called Netflix CS and they told me if I wanted to stream in both Canada and the USA I would to have a separate account for each country.

sbeland

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:46 pm

I just turned to crackle after of few weeks and I now get this error message.
I tried deleting the channel from my list and re-adding it with no luck.
I rebooted Roku (just for the heck of it) with no luck either.

I'm in Colorado. Anyone found a reason/solution to this problem?

SteelTown

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm in Charleston, SC and I got the error message stating Crackle is not available in this area. I watched it last on Nov 2nd. Tried to uninstall and reinstall with no luck. Anyone still having this problem? Any fixes known? Thanks.

JamieCarper

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Count Cincinnati, Ohio as the latest victim!

I find it amazing that Roku has not addressed this issue publicly. I suspect it has something to do with their "partnership" with HBO. Check to see if the same time HBO Go became available, Crackle became disabled. The timing of it all seems a little uncanny. We always turn to Crackle when Netflix starts giving us fits because of their slow resets. Now without a word from Roku, suddenly it is no longer available in our area. That stinks of exclusive rights to a market and giving preference to a "partner".

If I am wrong than someone in high places needs to start getting more responsible with their communications with their customers. The folks at Netflix learned the hard way. It would be good of Roku to learn by their example and talk straight about this issue.

stratcat96

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm in Cleveland, OH and just now found the error message as well. I watched it yesterday though. Obviously there's some problem that needs to be looked at but if Crackle wanted their channel off Roku, or vise versa, the channel would have just been pulled. This is not the conspiracy theory you're looking for...