Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ldmariodl28
Topic Author

NHL Gamecenter Roku vs Laptop

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:52 pm

I have been thinking about getting the $79.99 model of Roku at bestbuy to watch NHL gamecenter. I am currently hooking up my laptop via VGA cable to my TV, but its a little bit of a pain each night. That being said, how is the quality compared to the Roku? If im going to lose quality I might second think the Roku. Please let me know.

themew

Re: NHL Gamecenter Roku vs Laptop

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:57 am

Except for the occasional panning judder, the picture is absolutely top quality. Colors and sound are absolutely brilliant using a Roku XS with ethernet hookup and HDMI to the tv.

ldmariodl28
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:48 am

How about with wifi? I have about 16 mbs per second download speed with Fios

RickRansom

Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 pm

As long as the signal is strong from your router is strong, it shouldn't be a problem.
16mbps is quite a good speed so buffering should not be an issue - unless there's a lot of interference in your area. :shock:
If so you can try to change the wireless channel on your router or try some other troubleshooting steps mentioned in another thread. :wink:

I have a roku 1 XD(2050X) and since I have it just around 8ft from the router, having it wired was a good thing.
Not once has it buffered/choked on my 8mbps connection. :D
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

ldmariodl28
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:22 pm

I think im gonna pick up the $99 model today with the ethernet. One other question, how are the archived games on it? When I watch on the laptop the screen is pretty small for archived games. Also right now im watching the 9-8 WPG/PHI game through my laptop on the TV and its in letterbox. Is that also the case using the Roku?

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:57 pm

ldmariodl28 wrote:
I think im gonna pick up the $99 model today with the ethernet. One other question, how are the archived games on it? When I watch on the laptop the screen is pretty small for archived games. Also right now im watching the 9-8 WPG/PHI game through my laptop on the TV and its in letterbox. Is that also the case using the Roku?

I am watching today's Phi-Wpg game live on my Roku2 XS now, 1st period just ended.

I am very satisfied with the Roku performance on NHL GameCenter. It is difficult for me to compare the viewing experience to your laptop without knowing more of your laptop specs.

If you look in the forums you will notice very few posts of issues this season with GameCenter which is a decent indicator of how well the channel is working.

Good luck.

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

Gilgamesh

Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:20 pm

The NHL channel is working very well and all the archived games I have looked at play fine and the vast majority are in 16x9 format and many, if not most, are HD.

The games in 16x6 format WILL be letterboxed on a 4x3 screen as that is the correct way to display those so you do not loose the edges. And we all know how bad it is to loose an edge in the NHL. :wink:

The live games, watched live, sometimes give me a bit of buffering issues but I have found if I choose "Watch from the beginning" I have less issues and it is pretty quick to FF to a point close to actual live if I so desire but I usually start a game after it has been going for 30-45 minutes and skip the commercial interruptions with the right arrow. (Pressing right about 8 times skips most of the regular breaks) I also skip the period breaks by FF (x3) about 15 minutes from the time bar. By the end of the game I am usually only about 5-6 minutes behind the "real" live point.

There were some early problems when the NHL released a beta version of the ch but they have now released an upgrade to that and most of the problems are gone.

Occasionally there will be issues with the ch or a specific game's feed but, so far, they either cleared up after a while or they are easily traced to internet/feed/encoding problems.

All in all the NHL ch is one of the most pleasurable chs to use, but it ain't perfect.

reaper88

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53 am

The main reason i got a Roku was for NHL Gamecenter..I couldnt be happier..The picture quality far exceeded my expectations.

ldmariodl28
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Well I got it, and im very happy so far. Last night after finishing the Devils game in delay I watched the rest of the games on the Roku and the quality was excellent. The only hicups I had were during the Nash/Columbus shootout where the screen kept going all predator on me but it wasnt terrible. The other games were prefect.

One other thing that came up last night is i went to watch a couple of highlights and there were some buffering issues. That being said, this morning I watched game 3 of the 1960 stanley cup between the Canadians and Maple Leafs and the video was perfect from beginning to end.

I have a feeling this is going to be a start of a beautiful relationship.

tj218

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Is there "ghosting" of movement like on MLB.tv (where you see the trails of the ball, etc.)

themew

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:44 pm

tj218 wrote:
Is there "ghosting" of movement like on MLB.tv (where you see the trails of the ball, etc.)

Nope.

ldmariodl28
Topic Author

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:37 am

Well after everything is said and done.. as cool as the Roku is, and as convinent as it is, I would say prob hooking up the laptop to the TV is the more reliable way to go.

Gilgamesh

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:43 am

ldmariodl28 wrote:
Well after everything is said and done.. as cool as the Roku is, and as convinent as it is, I would say prob hooking up the laptop to the TV is the more reliable way to go.

That may be your experience but it is not mine. NHL on the Roku is at least as reliable as any other method of accessing the content and it is a great picture with few real problems.

While they do have issues from time to time those issues effect all platforms for the most part.

Anytime the internet is involved in delivering content there will be problems from time to time. This is due to the different routes that data can take, congestion in the route, and simple load at the any point in the route. Also the local network is subject to some of the same problems plus those that use wireless are subject to local interference that often appears to be problems with the delivery.

Taken in total it is quite amazing that the delivery of live content works at all and almost as unbelievable that any streaming through the internet works for more than a few seconds.

The NHL on the Roku is a great service but it is over the internet so there will be problems from time to time.