Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Forza
Topic Author

What's the point of Amazon stream?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 am

Why would people buy, for example, $4.99 to watch Cars 2? Why not rent from Redbox for $1.10? Still trying to figure out the best way to use my R-XS..

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: What's the point of Amazon stream?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:12 am

Forza wrote:
Why would people buy, for example, $4.99 to watch Cars 2? Why not rent from Redbox for $1.10? Still trying to figure out the best way to use my R-XS..

Because they can do it from their couch. Plenty of people (like me) would never pay for a movie (new or otherwise), but there are many, many others who happily pay for the convenience.

To each their own.

DBDukes

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:14 am

Forza wrote:

The point of Amazon Instant Video is to watch content without having to go to a Redbox kiosk. Though I have a Redbox account, I rarely ever rent anything from them. While the cost-per-movie is cheaper, the convenience of Amazon Instant Video is, to me, worth the cost difference. It might not be worth the difference for you.

With Amazon, I don't have to get on my computer or grab my smartphone and find a movie I want to see, and figure out which kiosk I want to drive to. I can grab my Roku remote, find a movie, and watch it without leaving the house. It costs more. Most conveniences do. Again, as I said, it depends on if it's worth it. To me, yes. To you, perhaps not.

It is nice to have a choice.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

AndonSage

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:46 am

Forza wrote:

If you consider that Amazon instant video has thousands more movies and TV shows available than a Redbox kiosk, that is why you might use Amazon. If what you want to watch is available on both, then you might choose Redbox.

It's nice to have choices, though :)

gearcrasher

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:56 am

I agree most of their prices are silly. But their 1.99 daily specials are a good value. They are newer releases, some not on RedBox yet, and you have 30 days to start watching them so you not have to worry about getting it back the next day. The selection at Redbox gets worse and worse and worse. Netflix of course doubled their prices if you want DVDs.
Roku XD
Roku HD
Roku XD/S
Logitech Revue
Sony SMP200
Directv HR21

PaJoe

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Amazon Prime members get a lot for free, and I noticed a few pre-theater release rentals for about $10.00. I did not rent any but will do so if the right pre-theater release movie is made available for that price. I really enjoy going to the theater, but depending on the weather and play times I might prefer seeing the movie at home, and at $10.00 it is a lot cheaper than the cost of going to the theater. I love Netflix but believe the Amazon HD streaming may be a little better quality - not by much though. if we had a Redbox withing walking distance I would try it as well, but not interested in driving around town to get a dvd.

KennyJ

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Every time I've rented from Redbox, I've spent more than $5. I never end up returning it the next day.

I prefer the convenience of Amazon, though I rarely rent at full price. I just rented several movies at $0.99 and $1.99 though. However, I probably would never use Redbox again.

mommom

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Some people live in the country.If I take my truck to the nearest Redbox I will spend $10 in gas on top of the movie rental.

Buckeye911

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 am

I have absolutely no interest in making two trips to a Redbox kiosk to rent a Blu-ray. I don't watch DVDs and Redbox has a very limited catalog of available Blu-ray discs in my area but even if they did I still wouldn't make the trip. I personally don't rent movies from Amazon because I much prefer Vudu due to most titles being available to stream in 1080p with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. The HDX (1080p) streams are excellent, almost as good as a BD. I also take advantage of Vudu's daily 99 cent specials. If I like the daily special I rent it and have thirty days to watch it. For those who have slower internet connections you can even download the movies you rent from Vudu so that you can watch them at full resolution without worrying about your streaming speed. There's no way I'm getting in my car and driving four miles to the nearest Redbox kiosk to rent a movie.

krisbee

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:20 am

Plus, I actually get the shows on Amazon... I don't have cable/satellite anymore (cord cutter for many months now, due to roku and OTA/DVR setup), so for those few shows that I can't wait until they are released on DVD (Top Chef) or whatever (Tosh.0), I get from Amazon for 1.89...

Also, same as mommom, It would be a 25 mile roundtrip to RedBox, twice to return. That's why we use Netflix DVD as well as streaming Netflix.

socantra

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:27 am

Forza wrote:

We mainly use Amazon for prime streaming and rarely rent individual titles from anywhere. When we do, the nearest Redbox kiosk is over a mile (which makes it too far for a pleasant stroll), in a high traffic. congested area (which makes biking unpleasant) and in a McDonald's (which is just plain unpleasant). Add on a $1.00 unpleasant fee for each of those factors and Amazon rentals become a bargain.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

shdware

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:51 am

I use it to fill a hole.

I'm a cord-cutter and don't have AMC, so I can't watch The Walking Dead.

But I can buy an episode after it airs for $1.99. Invite some friends over, pop some popcorn, and watch it without commercials? Yes indeed.
4200R [Roku 3]

Formerly:
3100X [Roku 2 XS]
2050X [Roku XD]

42" VIZIO via HDMI @ 1080p
Comcast 20Mbit

donbga

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:50 pm

mommom wrote:
Some people live in the country.If I take my truck to the nearest Redbox I will spend $10 in gas on top of the movie rental.

+1!

donbga

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Okay this thread has piqued my curiosity about Amazon streaming. I could probably go to Amazon to find the answers for these questions, but I'll just ask them here.

If I add the Amazon channel, can I just browse the titles for free? Would I have a monthly charge or a one time charge for that privilege?

Thanks,

Donbga

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:05 pm

donbga wrote:
Okay this thread has piqued my curiosity about Amazon streaming. I could probably go to Amazon to find the answers for these questions, but I'll just ask them here.

If I add the Amazon channel, can I just browse the titles for free? Would I have a monthly charge or a one time charge for that privilege?

Thanks,

Donbga
There is no charge(monthly or one-time) just to add the channel and see the listings. They're also available for review, without adding the channel, at amazon.com/vod. You only pay for rentals/purchases. Amazon also includes a large number of videos free if you are a Amazon Prime member (there's a section on both the website and the channel just for Prime-eligible videos).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com