Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

BriPet

Re: Roku Deaf User group

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 pm

I got Roku because I thought it was a cheap way of bringing movies and TV shows to my second TV. Yet it seems like Roku is plagued by problems. Netflix is having issues with subtitles right now, and Hulu + does not caption as many shows for Roku as it does for online viewing (such as on the laptop). Not to mention many current shows are not available on Roku due to contract issues (i.e. Simpsons available for web viewing only, not Roku). TEDTalks is no-go as apparently it's not an official channel by TED and when TED changed their coding online, that disrupted all of the videos-they won't even play now.

I still like Roku, but the issues are pretty frustrating at times.

SCOREtv.TV

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:51 am

I believe that on BBC1 they tend to have sign language interpreters on movies and news shows. Now that Roku is in the UK, can BBC1 be viewed here in the states through a private or free channel?
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV

BriPet

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:08 am

On BBC1, I assume they use British Sign Language? If so, won't be much help for most American Deaf viewers.

ThingOne
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Hopefully this won't jinx anything but Netflix subtitled shows are momentarily quite stable for me. The suggestion earlier in this thread to use Instant Watch Browser for Netflix, from TheEndless, is an excellent one. It does dig up extra titles and related titles which the default 'search' tool on the official Netflix channel isn't able to find.

I wish there were better search tools for some of the Roku Channels. If you try using the one on iFoodTV, it's like using overcooked spaghetti to poke the middle of a cake to check for doneness! I know it has to do with the nature of the beast and this is probably why many Roku channels do not have a search tool at all.