Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Lynvingen

Re: NBC channel

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:36 pm

This is flower. You have taken a pretty good product and rendered it completely 100% useless by chopping the news program into segments shorter than 30 seconds. As soon as I post this, I will delete the NBC channel, then contact NBC letting them know how I feel about this.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:15 am

Lynvingen wrote:
This is flower. You have taken a pretty good product and rendered it completely 100% useless by chopping the news program into segments shorter than 30 seconds. As soon as I post this, I will delete the NBC channel, then contact NBC letting them know how I feel about this.

As you should, this is totally NBC's choice.

PaJoe

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:13 pm

I agree with the previous posters, I really dislike the new NBC channel and will be removing it, but very thankful NoWhereMan still has The Rachel Maddow Show available. I really prefer watching TRMS on his Roku channel rather recording it on the HDTivo.

socantra

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:04 pm

If NBC is removing their content from other channels on the Roku (i.e. Newscaster), perhaps it is not a good idea to keep repeating that we still have other channels available lest NBC also request/demand that content also be removed.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

destruk

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:44 pm

hmm, pro-active, or re-active - which do you think is better to force a hand or to offer it?

ThriftyBK

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:33 am

It is after 11:00 CST and there still is no Monday (12th) Morning Joe on nowhere TV. Previously, the stream was available by 8:30 CST. Hopefully, this is just a Monday morning glitch. I fear Morning Joe and Rachel Maddow is going to disappear similar to what happened to CBS's 48 Hours and 60 minutes a few months ago. I'll cross my fingers and check back later.

dividebyzer0

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:55 pm

The really odd thing about NBC is that when you do watch whole programs on
NowhereTV, they advertise "Rock Center" I've yet to see that on any Roku channels... :lol:
HD-XR model N1101 Firmware 3.1 Bld 1182
Linksys BEFSX41 <==> AT&T ADSL
Channel Master CM-7000 HDTV Tuner
27" RCA ColorTrak circa 1992. Scissors! ---8<-----

johnny ballgame

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:11 pm

ehkaiser wrote:
Who wants to keep clicking and clicking to see 10 segments of 60 seconds or less? I might as well go back to my computer.

I just wanted to point out that you can select "play all" on any of the clips and I think it will play all the segments (so you can avoid the "clicking and clicking"). That said I liked it much better in the Newscaster format as well.

RickRansom

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:01 pm

johnny ballgame wrote:
ehkaiser wrote:
Who wants to keep clicking and clicking to see 10 segments of 60 seconds or less? I might as well go back to my computer.

I just wanted to point out that you can select "play all" on any of the clips and I think it will play all the segments (so you can avoid the "clicking and clicking"). That said I liked it much better in the Newscaster format as well.

True. It will play all of the clips, the only thing is that the roku will have to "re-buffer" to play the next "clip".
The idea of only playing the news you want to see sounds good, but there should also be an option to play the whole episode in a way that it won't get interrupted every minute just to play the next "clip". :?

Like previous suggestions, if you want the full episodes from NBC go ahead and add Mediafly from the channel store or Nowhere TV from your Roku account.

If your cool with the current version of the NBC channel that's fine. Just mentioning the alternatives here. :D
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

belltown

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:44 pm

I'll add my name to the list of disgruntled former Newscaster Channel/NBC viewers. I've been reading this thread over the past week that I've been out of town without access to my Roku, and hoping that things weren't really as bad as people were making them out to be. I've been a regular viewer of the evening NBC newscasts since I've owned my Roku. I almost fell off my chair in shock when I saw what NBC has done with their new channel. No longer is the evening news available in its entirety. Instead, there are a collection of 30-second podcasts. I tried the "Play All" option only to find that many of the podcasts get truncated before the end, several of them being truncated when they are only halfway through; that's not to mention the blank screens and buffering taking place while the next podcast loads -- and, of course the commercials between every other podcast.

I've got nothing against watching commercials in the middle of a newscast. I understand the need for content-providers to generate revenue from their content -- but if the content isn't worth watching then they're going to lose a lot of viewers, and hence a lot of potential advertising revenue. I'd love for them to bring back the evening news in its entirety (even if they intersperse a reasonable number of commercials during the broadcast).

Thank goodness for NoWhereMan TV!!!

Does anyone know if NBC has a forum that NBC execs monitor to gauge user sentiment, or even an e-mail address were we could write to bring this forum thread to their attention to let them know of the terrible mistake they're making?
https://github.com/belltown/

rbarline

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:04 pm

The new NBC format for Brian Williams sucks so badly that we cannot watch it. Whoever came up with this format should be fired. The commercials suck, but the worst thing is the way the snippets cut off about two seconds before the end - that is very disturbing. Another very bad thing is that it is impossible to start at the beginning - as you click through the snippets you cannot find the beginning of today's show. I just deleted this disaster from my channels.

WardFamily

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Is there an update on fixing this matter? Whoever had this idea, had a really bad one.
http://lindenalabama.net

celticflame

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:34 am

It's all been said and I agree. Just removed the NBC news station. Hope to see NBC content back on Newscaster, but until then, I'll watch their competitors.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Yep,I agree with the regulars-- that Nowhere Man is the bomb about supplying channels folk want--He and Endless are my roku heroes
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

brhythm

Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm glad Nowhereman has got the news on his channel. I too hate the new NBC channel for the same reasons as everyone else. It's not the commercials, it's the wasted time buffering and the cut off clips. When I get home, I hope to see Nowhereman has a full, regular feed of the NBC nightly news.