Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Think Skype support will come?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:54 pm

I mean that USB is just begging for a webcam. ;)

More & more smart TVs are getting Skype support. Just sayin.... :mrgreen:

krisbee

Re: Think Skype support will come?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:05 am

I don't think it will. USB camera support on linux has been spotty, at best. My webcam, you actually have to manually load an additional library, export, and load an additional program to change the brightness - it won't work using default software (which it should).

So, unless you limit it to only a few different webcams, the headaches supporting it would be tremendous. Also, many units don't have the USB (my two don't)... so, there is that as well.

Then there is the overhead of actually running skype, and that might tax out the little Roku as well.

Crow550
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:23 am

Smart TVs use special TV webcams. Like Vizio has a Skype cam coming out for there TVs. Other Smart TVs already have support for there own special TV webcams.

jeffrok

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:53 am

Meh.. I'd rather Skype from a laptop or my phone.. Can get a lot closer up.. If I was sitting 8 feet from my TV like I usually do, I'd probably have to talk pretty loudly for the mike to pick up my voice.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Chaldon

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:57 pm

A cardioid microphone (forward facing) or even better a "shotgun" mic would solve that problem

rayhaque

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:33 pm

I don't think that this idea is too far off. The question is - does Roku want to support this type of thing, and is the hardware powerful enough to handle it?

I see Roku branching out with their "accessory" store, so I don't think it would be out of line for them to sell their own re-branded webcam. Trying to support whatever webcam is plugged in would be a nightmare, but if they only have to support one or two models that wouldn't be too bad.

That's basically what Apple has done. If you want to use a webcam in OS X, you just have to buy it from Apple. :-)

Crow550
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:36 pm

They have web cams with hardware video encoding and such.
Last edited by Crow550 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

themew

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:13 pm

A new Skype channel has been added by Vizio to my 47'' VIA model so it could certainly be on the way...

Alfmeister

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:40 am

Panasonic Blu-Ray players also have Skype built in. You just need to add a webcam and insert an SD card if you want to have an outgoing video message. Pretty cool feature. Maybe on the Roku 3.

Familyguy

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:37 am

If I want to use skype, I just use my android phone or my pc. Having it on my TV wouldn't be particularly appealing.
Roku2 XS retired...switched to HTPC
Denon AVR-1912 Receiver
Polk TSI500 mains/CS20 center/TSI300 surrounds
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 subwoofer
Dynex 42" 1080p display

mikebdoss

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:46 am

Roku excels in having lightweight hardware that serves its purpose without anything extra (hence the low cost). Having a mic and webcam (or even just support for them) would bulk up the box and the cost, and honestly, it's not something the Roku target audience uses.

Use a computer.

Gilgamesh

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:09 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Roku excels in having lightweight hardware that serves its purpose without anything extra (hence the low cost). Having a mic and webcam (or even just support for them) would bulk up the box and the cost, and honestly, it's not something the Roku target audience uses.

Use a computer.

I agree. But even a computer is no longer needed as this http://shop.skype.com/phones/phone-adapters/connect-me/ will allow one to use their regular house phone. There are also phones that are stand alone Skype devices.

One thing I cannot understand that many people see to want is the video feature. There is no one I talk to on the phone that I want to also see at that time and even fewer that I want to see me.

Roku is completely the wrong device for this kind of use.

I might add that anytime a device tries to incorporate a lot of different functions it generally becomes practically useless for all of them.

stratcat96

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:14 pm

9 times out of ten when there's a video camera and an internet connection involved, there's nudity :roll:. Roku's not that kinda girl you pervs :lol:

robertm

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

Use a computer.

I agree. But even a computer is no longer needed as this http://shop.skype.com/phones/phone-adapters/connect-me/ will allow one to use their regular house phone. There are also phones that are stand alone Skype devices.

One thing I cannot understand that many people see to want is the video feature. There is no one I talk to on the phone that I want to also see at that time and even fewer that I want to see me.

Roku is completely the wrong device for this kind of use.

I might add that anytime a device tries to incorporate a lot of different functions it generally becomes practically useless for all of them.

Extended travel, military families, family and friends separated by large distances are all good reasons to include video. Beyond that it is probably more of a novelty. The idea of doing it on the TV doesn't work for me at all though because then I'd have to wear pants.

robertm

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:20 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
9 times out of ten when there's a video camera and an internet connection involved, there's nudity :roll:. Roku's not that kinda girl you pervs :lol:

You sound like an expert.