Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Schmye Bubbula

Re: New Roku iPhone app!

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Can you make taps on the right & left scroll item-by-item? I like the swipe gestures, but I want single-item advance, too, like we can do on the regular remote.
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:59 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
yeah very nice, useful app. I kinda feel bad for the developers who have paid Roku remote apps in the app store

Yeah - as one of those developers, i do feel kinda bad because a free app by Roku Inc will eventually kill the small market for smartphone Roku remote apps.

"Roku" app is below par in its first version, 2.9 stars in AppStore is a "meh" rating that puts it behind RoRemote, "Remote for Roku", DVPRemote, Keyu, "Roku Remote", SavvyBud free and paid... yeah, right behind them. But it has big ambition and is only bound to get better with next releases. It will likely satisfy 90% of all users - which will lead to 10-fold decrease in downloads for others in the long term.

Overall this might be in the interest of the brand. There is something else though that i feel is wrong and unfair - the "Roku" app is using some new and undocumented ways to talk to the player and Roku website. Changes were made to the firmware to make Roku's remote app work better - as disclosed on Roku's blog last week. Things like being able to add/remove/rate channels to the player, get list of all store channels channels, by categories and info on those.

We asked in the developers' forum about info on those new features in remote control and the answer was that no, they are not planning on releasing that information. I don't think there is malicious intent behind that (i.e. trying to kill the other remote apps), i suspect it's more that they can't be bothered anymore, "we are big enough now and will handle it by ourselves"

TheEndless

Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:47 pm

EnTerr wrote:
Overall this might be in the interest of the brand. There is something else though that i feel is wrong and unfair - the "Roku" app is using some new and undocumented ways to talk to the player and Roku website. Changes were made to the firmware to make Roku's remote app work better - as disclosed on Roku's blog last week. Things like being able to add/remove/rate channels to the player, get list of all store channels channels, by categories and info on those.

We asked in the developers' forum about info on those new features in remote control and the answer was that no, they are not planning on releasing that information. I don't think there is malicious intent behind that (i.e. trying to kill the other remote apps), i suspect it's more that they can't be bothered anymore, "we are big enough now and will handle it by ourselves"

I believe the ratings and adding/removing channels features are all using the Roku channel store web APIs, which I doubt Roku would want to expose to developers. I assumed the changes they mentioned that were made to the firmware were the new ECP commands that were added in the 3.0 firmware and/or some swiping support, which I'd have sworn was documented at one point in the ECP documentation, but I don't see it there now.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

KentuckyMatt

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Solution:
To fix the issue of No Player Found, first be sure both your mobile device and Roku are connected to the same wireless network. If that's not it and you have a fairly new router, navigate to your Wireless settings via a web browser (on a computer/device connected to the same wireless networviably navigating to 192.168.1.1, log in with your username (network name) and password (wireless password), choose Wireless settings, Basic Wireless Settings, ensure that the Configuration type is Manual, change the Network Type for the 5ghz antenna to Disabled, and Save Settings. That's it!

You may need to reconnect your mobile device to the wireless network, but my iOS devices had no issues.

Basically, having both antennas on allows devices to connect using either. A majority of smartphones connect via 5ghz and the Roku 2.4ghz. The mobile app only scans the 5ghz connections and comes up with No Player(s) Found. Now that you've got all devices connected via 2.4ghz, it'll find your Roku(s)!

Rejoice!
-Matt

EnTerr

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:35 pm

KentuckyMatt wrote:
Basically, having both antennas on allows devices to connect using either. A majority of smartphones connect via 5ghz and the Roku 2.4ghz. The mobile app only scans the 5ghz connections and comes up with No Player(s) Found. Now that you've got all devices connected via 2.4ghz, it'll find your Roku(s)!

hmm, couple of issues with your reasoning:
(1) iPhone does not use the 5GHz band ( http://www.quora.com/Does-the-iPhone-4S ... -5GHz-wifi )
(2) due to the nature of encrypted WiFi (WPA at least), when iPhone broadcasts in search of Roku, this happens through the router as intermediary. I.e. if both devices are connected and "have internet", they in theory should see each other. There are some complications to that, in such that some routers just don't cooperate "as intermediaries" in the search

try enabling the 5GHz again in your router and i bet Roku app will still work. chances are the mere restart of the wireless due to your change was the reason to fix the issue.

KentuckyMatt

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Possible. However it fixed the issue on my iPad 2, which does connect via 5ghz. I didn't reset anything while editing this setting and had previously reset all 3 devices (including the router) before with no luck.

I'll let you know if turning 5ghz back on creates an issue.

RokuTom

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi everyone,

With the iPhone app, release 1.0.1 and with a back-end server fix, the app should now accept all user names and passwords. Before 1.0.1, the app was not accepting long usernames or usernames or passwords with a number of special characters. If you still can't log in and have verified your credentials at https://owner.roku.com/Login, write me at feedback@roku.com.

Devices not found is still an issue for some users. Release 1.0.1 has some tips added our what to do. In many cases, the Roku player just needs to be properly awakened by going through network setup on the Roku again and turning off/on Wi-Fi on the iPhone. Our next firmware release will contain a fix so this isn't required.

We are seeing some issues with some home network setups, in particular combined modem/routers, especially where the Roku player is connected directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable and the iPhone is connected via Wi-Fi to the router.

Tom Markworth
Director of Product Management, Roku
feedback@roku.com

EnTerr

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:19 pm

RokuTom wrote:
We are seeing some issues with some home network setups, in particular combined modem/routers, especially where the Roku player is connected directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable and the iPhone is connected via Wi-Fi to the router.

Are those Qwest/Actiontec devices (e.g. PK5000, M1000, MI424WR, GT701WG, GT724WG)?

gonzotek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:27 pm

EnTerr wrote:
RokuTom wrote:

Are those Qwest/Actiontec devices (e.g. PK5000, M1000, MI424WR, GT701WG, GT724WG)?

I no longer use Verizon, which is where it came from for me, but the MI424WR was a PITA: udp packets wouldn't pass between the ethernet/coax/wifi interfaces.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com