Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ldmariodl28
Topic Author

NHL Constant Loading Tonight Phi vs Pit?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:54 pm

My roku is constantly re-loading in the Phi vs Pit game tonight live. Anyone else experiencing this?

reaper88

Re: NHL Constant Loading Tonight Phi vs Pit?

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:06 pm

I have been experiencing really bad quality and reloading issues with the NHL channel for about a week now with every game. :x

themew

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:28 pm

Although it's been much better than last month, the 'loading............' issue drives us nuts too when it comes up in the middle of an exciting play. This still seems to be a Neulion issue with their Roku channel as I don't experience the same deal on the web directly.

Wondering if NHL actually stands for: Needs Help Loading

Here's hoping things get fixed or improved in 2012.

utahgrizzNHL

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Have had issues since mid-Dec. Used to work wonderfully but has been terrible. I have 20+ download, but have been getting buffering, start/stop, no HD, etc. Also have AppleTV - same issue. May be NHL GCL issue - perhaps its oversubscribed? Stinks

Gilgamesh

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 pm

utahgrizzNHL wrote:
Have had issues since mid-Dec. Used to work wonderfully but has been terrible. I have 20+ download, but have been getting buffering, start/stop, no HD, etc. Also have AppleTV - same issue. May be NHL GCL issue - perhaps its oversubscribed? Stinks

I have had virtually no problems since the first week of the season.

The only thing that I do that may be different from others is I virtually never choose "Watch Live" rather I choose watch from beginning when a game is still live.

Usually I start a game 45 minutes to an hour after the start and use the right arrow 8-9 times to skip the breaks and use ffx2 to skip forward 15 minutes to skip the between period sections.

Of course one of the teams I follow is generally "Not available in your area" so I usually watch those the next morning. (I used to record them but I find that the quality on the Roku is vastly superior to the free cable I get with my rent.) When I watch these I have to complement the NHL as they have edited out virtually all the breaks for me.

Some of the issues with NHL rebuffering could be due to similar issues as with NetFlix. One of the fixes that are recommended to try for NetFlix is to switch DNS servers in the router to Google ( 8.8.8.8 ) or OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 ) You might give that a try to see if helps. So far I have seen no reports that a different DNS actually helped the NHL but it can't hurt to try as you can always change it back. I also have seen no reports that it did not help.

reaper88

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:51 pm

utahgrizzNHL wrote:

my problems started about the same time

reaper88

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:

Some of the issues with NHL rebuffering could be due to similar issues as with NetFlix. One of the fixes that are recommended to try for NetFlix is to switch DNS servers in the router to Google ( 8.8.8.8 ) or OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 ) You might give that a try to see if helps. So far I have seen no reports that a different DNS actually helped the NHL but it can't hurt to try as you can always change it back. I also have seen no reports that it did not help.

Thanks for the tip...much better experience tonight with NHL