Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

robertm
Topic Author

Live OTA Broadcasts on Roku

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:19 am

1) How important would this be to you? I mean, you can just change inputs on the TV and accomplish the same thing with a antenna, right?

2) Would you be willing to pay $49 for it?

I have seen people on here that got upset because there was no way to do it *all* on Roku and that flipping back and forth between live and Roku was a pain but it seems to me the number of remote clicks would probably be the same. Is it because without a universal remote you have to put down the Roku remote and pick up the TV one?

Let's say this is a feature you'd love to have would you pay $49 for a part to accomplish it not including the antenna? Keep in mind there would be no DVR it would be just your live local broadcasts. I ask because a Roku competitor has this feature in Beta right now for existing equipment. I don't see the point unless you were using something other than a TV for viewing but maybe someone here can explain it to me.

Is this something you'd like to have added to the Roku and why?

socantra

Re: Live OTA Broadcasts on Roku

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:21 am

1. Of absolutely no use or importance to me.

2. I would pay nothing for the feature.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

BobRoberts

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:26 am

If I wanted to spend $49 a month, I'd go back to cable.

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:28 am

BobRoberts wrote:

I'm pretty sure the implication is that it's a one-time fee, not per-month.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

knuckle

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 am

Hi Robert

I might be willing to pay $4.99 (if it had all my locals and the one fee put it on both my rokus)but not $49.00-- not because of the input switching but because I have a rotor on my antenna and it seems that cartoons and the local news are always in the opposite directions so....

1--yea I might like to have it --and

2-- If you are thinkin of developing this channel I wish you well,hope ya get rich even-- but don't do it all off the first subscriber, $49.00 is just wayyyy too much :)
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

gonzotek

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:34 am

Without DVR capabilities (at a bare minimum, a half-hour or hour long buffer that can be trick-played) this virtually is useless (for me). If the feature had DVR capabilities (and adding a drive will obviously increase costs), with guide data, it'd be interesting, but I might still pass. I have one tv in the house in a location that makes using cable impractical, so it's OTA-only. It gets its guide data and content through a TiVo (which carries with it a subscription fee and greater hardware costs than Roku or Boxee).
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv

mikebdoss

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:47 am

I'd never pay for something that's easily accomplished by switching to what my TV (and everyone's TV) already does.

Gilgamesh

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:00 am

I would find this totally without value for me. I have a cheap computer running NPVR and the private NPVR ch on my Roku with this I get the ability to watch TV channels on my schedule and even FF and RW as needed.

The only caveat for my setup is I cannot watch live on the Roku but anything I want to watch is only delayed by about the length of the show, This delay is primary due to using Handbrake at a pretty high quality to preserve the initial resolution as much as possible.

I find this setup easy to use and very flexible and seamless once set up.

Paying $49.00 for the ability to do less than I do now would be foolish in the extreme.

stratcat96

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:06 am

this is like the request that pop up on here from time to time about wanting the ability to plug a dvd player into the Roku's USB port... I'm assuming Boxee is the competitor that has this idea in beta right now. They really should work on fixing their box's primary functions before trying to figure out how to make money off of reinventing the wheel.

robertm
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:13 am

gonzotek wrote:
BobRoberts wrote:

I'm pretty sure the implication is that it's a one-time fee, not per-month.

Correct. It is a piece of equipment you buy one time. Well... one time per TV you want to add this feature to.

socantra

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:33 am

robertm wrote:
Correct. It is a piece of equipment you buy one time. Well... one time per TV you want to add this feature to.

That's 50 bucks for each TV in addition to a Roku for each TV? Sounds awfully expensive. I run my OTA antenna to 4 different TVs thru what used to be the cable company wiring.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

robertm
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:57 am

stratcat96 wrote:
this is like the request that pop up on here from time to time about wanting the ability to plug a dvd player into the Roku's USB port... I'm assuming Boxee is the competitor that has this idea in beta right now. They really should work on fixing their box's primary functions before trying to figure out how to make money off of reinventing the wheel.

That is part of why this thread is here. They continue to close the gap on HTPC functionality regardless of the consequences. The beta testers are saying this new version is one of the more stable they have seen though so who knows.

Even though I don't use OTA I think this is silly. I guess if they add DVR functionality in the future it might not be but for now... ridiculous IMO.

Buckeye911

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:22 pm

A device like this would be of absolutely no value to me as well, wouldn't pay a penny for it. I record off antenna with no monthly fees with my Channel Master DVR and really enjoy the picture quality of the OTA broadcasts of my local channels. The only people I could see buying a device like this are those few who just can't get OTA reception where they live.

jambandit7

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Also, the superior hi-def picture you get only with OTA would fly out the window. I could only see it if your location prevented you from receiving OTA signals.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
Roku2 4210RW-HDMI

gonzotek

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Buckeye and JamBandit, this device still uses an antenna. It does not stream OTA content over the internet.
http://www.boxee.tv/live

I know, as is, it seems totally redundant to me too :-)