Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

robertm
Topic Author

Re: Live OTA Broadcasts on Roku

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:33 pm

If you can't receive OTA this would do you no good because it is still tied to an antenna.

Also, the superior hi-def picture you get only with OTA would fly out the window

I haven't checked but I am not aware of any drop in quality.

robertm
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 pm

gonzotek wrote:
Buckeye and JamBandit, this device still uses an antenna. It does not stream OTA content over the internet.
http://www.boxee.tv/live

I know, as is, it seems totally redundant to me too :-)

From the backlash over removing volume control from the BB I take it that many owners are using monitors instead of TVs but even if they numbered 5,000 how is that enough of a market for this product?

It is strange. You have Roku on the uber conservative side and BB who'd probably add an 8 track player if 100 people requested it. Be nice to have a company in the middle somewhere.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 pm

gonzotek wrote:
...as is, it seems totally redundant to me too :-)

+1
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

jambandit7

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:39 pm

gonzotek wrote:
Buckeye and JamBandit, this device still uses an antenna. It does not stream OTA content over the internet.
http://www.boxee.tv/live

I know, as is, it seems totally redundant to me too :-)

Ok...cool if it still makes use of an existing OTA setup, pretty neat feature...but I highly doubt it will sell to very many.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
Roku2 4210RW-HDMI

lswartz

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:56 pm

I don't think I would want it for ROKU but it might be nice to see something similar to the Today show that is available after it is broadcast. I really like HDHomeRun for live OTA HDTV. It is limited to Ethernet connection as Wifi g is not fast enough, n maybe, but I don't have it.

catastrophegirl

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:43 pm

i can only get two OTA broadcast channels reliably with an antenna and still wouldn't pay to get them on my roku. all the content i want to watch i can get on services i already have on my roku, like hulu plus, or on my pc when i want something from CBS.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless

jaimevalles

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:16 pm

I would LOVE to be able to watch OTA broadcasts on Roku, especially if I could then plug in an external USB hard drive and have it work as a DVR.

I'd definitely pay $49 to ditch all the other boxes attached to my HDTV and use Roku to watch streaming content plus OTA broadcasts with DVR, all with the wonderful simplicity of the Roku remote.

Heck, I'd pay $99 extra if it came with a DVR built in. Seriously.

kc8pql

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:04 am

^^^ Note that this gizmo requires that you have an OTA antenna setup. That's why it's redundant. To watch OTA you just switch the TV input to Antenna. There's no reason to bother running it through the Roku.

Roku will probably never include a DVR function. All the premium providers would bail out if it was easy to pirate their content.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

jaimevalles

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:52 pm

kc8pql wrote:
^^^ Note that this gizmo requires that you have an OTA antenna setup. That's why it's redundant. To watch OTA you just switch the TV input to Antenna. There's no reason to bother running it through the Roku.

Roku will probably never include a DVR function. All the premium providers would bail out if it was easy to pirate their content.

No no, I don't want to record the streaming content onto the DVR. I only want to record the OTA broadcasts onto the DVR. Streaming can stay exactly how it is right now. I just don't want to have a Roku box in addition to a separate DVR for live TV. Does that make sense?

krisbee

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Of course, those of us adventurous enough already have a DVR with MythTV and stream it to our Roku's with the excellent, free, mythrokuplayer channel/app. I have loads of my OTA TV served up to my Rokus. Though it doesn't show up during broadcast or even right after - takes some time to transcode, so usually within 24hrs is a better way to put it. Even get commercials cut out :)