Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: Remoku

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Anybody still using Internet Explorer as their primary browser? I've added some code to Remoku to enable 'web slice' functionality. It lets you add Remoku to your favorites bar, but instead of opening a new tab you get a small pop-over window styled much the same as the Remoku Chrome and Firefox extensions.

To use it, use Internet Explorer 8 or 9 (10 is untested, 7 or below will not work) and browse to remoku.tv, then click the About icon. If you hover your mouse over the build information (beneath the help link), you should see the web slice icon (Image). Clicking it should cause Internet Explorer to request permission to add Remoku's web slice to your favorites bar. From there, clicking the new Remoku link on the favorites bar will open a popover window where you can interact with Remoku.

I'm looking for some feedback about this one before I update the documentation. Any thoughts?

I've also tweaked the Remoku settings and about pages slightly. Let me know if anything appears broken in either, under any browser or OS.

Cheers!
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

Bleed

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:04 am

Kind of complicated so let me explain.

1. Roku XD Remote got thrown into the wash by accident 2 weeks ago = TOAST!

2.Got new ISP 1 week ago.

3. Found the Remoku website and the webpage to operate remote control from pc.

Here are my questions

Does the Roku NEED to be online prior to using the Remoku app?

Can I set up the wireless internet connection for the Roku using the Remoku?

Seems to me the Roku would need to be already up and running internet wise before you could use the Remoku

Make sense?

Any work around for this?

Thanks!

gonzotek
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:28 am

Bleed wrote:
Kind of complicated so let me explain.

1. Roku XD Remote got thrown into the wash by accident 2 weeks ago = TOAST!

2.Got new ISP 1 week ago.

3. Found the Remoku website and the webpage to operate remote control from pc.

Here are my questions

Does the Roku NEED to be online prior to using the Remoku app?

Can I set up the wireless internet connection for the Roku using the Remoku?

Seems to me the Roku would need to be already up and running internet wise before you could use the Remoku

Make sense?

Any work around for this?

Thanks!
Sorry, you're correct that the Roku does need to be online before Remoku (or any other network remote) can be used. The only recourse for setting up new wireless connections is a hardware remote. Roku used to sell replacement IR remotes on their accessories page, but it looks like only the bluetooth gaming remote is available right now. That can be used in your situation, but can also be a little finicky to set up, due to needing to pair with the Roku before use. On the plus side, it includes a memory card and would enable gaming(if you're interested in that). If you're in a hurry and don't want to wait for Roku shipping a replacement or otherwise don't want the bluetooth remote, I recommend going to a local electronics retailer and purchasing a universal. The Harmony line of remotes definitely includes codes for Roku, but many universals will not (they could be learned, but only from a working IR remote), so be careful. The Harmony 300 is a fairly inexpensive model that should work, and Best Buy shows them as available at a large number of stores in my area. Good luck!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv

gonzotek
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:56 am

The Remoku Opera extension was approved last night. First post and help site updated. I'm running out of desktop browsers to put it in :). Is anyone using it on any interesting (non-Apple) devices?

mallwalker

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:29 am

Installed & tested this morning on my Opera browser. Thank you for your work!

mkiker2089

Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:02 pm

gonzotek wrote:
The Remoku Opera extension was approved last night. First post and help site updated. I'm running out of desktop browsers to put it in :). Is anyone using it on any interesting (non-Apple) devices?

Commodore 64 perhaps?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

Crow550

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:35 am

Dude I love you! Erm.... I love this! :D

The Browser add-ons kick ass. Using it for Firefox (wrote a review). This is so handy for me. I have a Roku on the left of my PC and a Roku to the right in my Living room.

Also love the site app too of course!

Keep up the great work and features!

You should consider figuring a way to integrate some ads into it. I'm thinking a small one on the bottom of the remote. I wouldn't be bothered by it. Where it doesn't dampen the experience but helps cover the charge of the domain and such.

Whatever happened to Fluke's Chrome web Remote? viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33679&p=214220#p214220 Did you two ever work together? Just curious.

Anyways once again keep up the great work. Thanks. You rule.

gonzotek
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:52 am

Crow550 wrote:
Dude I love you! Erm.... I love this! :D

The Browser add-ons kick ass. Using it for Firefox (wrote a review). This is so handy for me. I have a Roku on the left of my PC and a Roku to the right in my Living room.

Also love the site app too of course!

Keep up the great work and features!

You should consider figuring a way to integrate some ads into it. I'm thinking a small one on the bottom of the remote. I wouldn't be bothered by it. Where it doesn't dampen the experience but helps cover the charge of the domain and such.

Whatever happened to Fluke's Chrome web Remote? viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33679&p=214220#p214220 Did you two ever work together? Just curious.

Anyways once again keep up the great work. Thanks. You rule.
I'm using it as a browser add-on mostly myself, which is funny, because it was an after-thought that only came about a week or two ago now. :)

I haven't heard from Fluke in a long time, I sent him a few messages about a year ago but didn't get any response after our initial contact.

I considered ads, but the main remote screen is already so cramped at 320x480. I'm still toying with some ideas for monetization that won't be disruptive or distasteful(or as little as possible), but won't have anything concrete for awhile yet. My domain/hosting costs aren't very much, since Remoku is such a small tool and is designed so that most browsers won't re-request most of the data from the domain unless there is an update available. Thanks for the review!

Crow550

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Can you please add an option to name the Rokus that are added?

Also what's the latest with the auto play timer for TV shows?

gonzotek
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Crow550 wrote:

Those are actually the next couple of things I plan on tackling. The first pass I took at the timer code I wasn't happy with, but I've got a different approach I think will work much better.

Crow550

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:18 pm

gonzotek wrote:
Crow550 wrote:

Those are actually the next couple of things I plan on tackling. The first pass I took at the timer code I wasn't happy with, but I've got a different approach I think will work much better.

Cool. How much of my ideas on this will you consider implementing?

gonzotek
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:28 am

Crow550 wrote:
gonzotek wrote:
Crow550 wrote:

Cool. How much of my ideas on this will you consider implementing?
:) I'll consider anything, but between what's possible within the confines of the system, and what I'm actually capable of producing, not all of it will always be workable. I'm also thinking of a system for custom macros, where pauses and loops can be used along with any button or key commands we have access to. Then you could write your own macro (something like: Repeat({command:Play,wait:22m}, 5) ) which would send a play command every 22 minutes for 5 repetitions. I'd have to spec out a syntax for the macros and then write a parser for it, but I think it's doable. :) Then people can write their own macros without me having to implement each and every request.

steamer

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:25 am

gonzotek wrote:
Last night I submitted a Firefox Remoku extension to the reviewers at addons.mozilla.org. I've been granted a preliminary review and Remoku is now available for installation from https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/remoku/.

If you try it and like it, please submit a review at the Remoku Firefox extension page, so that it can achieve full review status. By passing full review, the add-on can be more easily found and installed by new users.

Help site and first post also updated to reflect the new extension :)

Cheers!

~~~
Just installed on Firefox ... no problems. Great work!
Review posted. 5 stars for sure.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P

steamer

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:35 am

btw ... it worked even before I rebooted Firefox after installing.
after reboot ... I did have to scan again. Still works, all is well.
Thanks again.
And thanks for link to the Wikipedia networking page.
I may yet come to understand. Or not. ;)
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P

gonzotek
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:11 am

steamer wrote:
btw ... it worked even before I rebooted Firefox after installing.
after reboot ... I did have to scan again. Still works, all is well.
Weird, I wouldn't expect it to work before restarting firefox. What version are you running? Now that you've scanned again after the first post-install restart, is it keeping its settings between further restarts? It should be.
Thanks again.
And thanks for link to the Wikipedia networking page.
I may yet come to understand. Or not. ;)
No problem, thanks for the review!