Re: [Private Channel] What's On: TV & Movie Listings

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:59 am

It would be great if you make a playlist to selecting the channel to play
Our system http://www.rokumanager.com

BradC

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:35 am

Love this channel!

would love if it came up right into favorite tv listings, or your last screen instead of several clicks to get there.

edit again - it does come up right to that favorites. Ignore that request.

great work! excellent channel!
Last edited by BradC on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

belltown
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:38 am

BradC wrote:
Love this channel!

I wish there was a way to change font size. I can read the text fine on my TV, but words are often cut off in the tv listings due to the large fontsize. An option for slightly smaller text on big tvs would be awesome to clean that up a bit.

great work!

Go to the Settings page and select 'Change TV Grid Rows'. You can display between 4 and 8 rows on the grid. The font size automatically adjusts based on the number of grid rows you select.
https://github.com/belltown/

BradC

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:39 am

thanks belltown, just found that and edited my post right as you posted.

Great channel. really nice work!

itsRoly

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:04 pm

I wish the What's On channel featuring a scrolling option where it scrolls up or down automatically, just like how the TV listings used to be on Prevue Guide/Prevue Channel, later TV Guide Channel.

Maybe something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelXcnN_YH8

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzHY4ipa784

Other than that, I like this channel. It is very very useful.
1 Roku Streaming Stick (HDMI)
2 NOAA Wx Radios (Midland WR-120 & HH54VP2)
2 Laptops (ASUS Book T-100 & Dell Latitude D620)
1 iPod Touch - 4th G.
1 Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Core Prime)
1 Smartwatch (ASUS ZenWatch 2)
1 HD Radio (Insignia NS-HDRAD)

carsokk

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:49 pm

I love this channel. Nothing like it on the Roku Channels. I initially downloaded the TV Guide Channel thinking it was...well...a TV Guide (stupid me). But, instead it was just a bunch of very uninteresting videos.

Anyway, I would like to make a request. It would be great if it was possible to have the ability to see what is on BOTH cable tv channels and OTA channels. In other words, the ability to set up another screen for cable/OTA. It would also be nice to be able to put in multiple zip codes for movie locations.

But, like I said, this is the only channel like it on Roku. So, great job.

BTW, if you are going to keep this free, you should at least post a link where users can give a donation.

Thanks again for your channel.

belltown
Topic Author

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:13 pm

carsokk wrote:
I love this channel. Nothing like it on the Roku Channels. I initially downloaded the TV Guide Channel thinking it was...well...a TV Guide (stupid me). But, instead it was just a bunch of very uninteresting videos.

Anyway, I would like to make a request. It would be great if it was possible to have the ability to see what is on BOTH cable tv channels and OTA channels. In other words, the ability to set up another screen for cable/OTA. It would also be nice to be able to put in multiple zip codes for movie locations.

BTW, if you are going to keep this free, you should at least post a link where users can give a donation.

Thanks for your comments, carsokk. You're the first (and only) person to suggest those particular features. The way the code is designed, it would take quite a bit of work to implement them, and I'm really not planning on adding much more functionality to What's On. I'm surprised you're asking for multiple zip codes for movie locations; for my zip code, I get around 40 movie theatres listed, not just from my zip code, but from several surrounding zip codes as well. I'm not sure I can come up with a workaround for you either if you want to see both OTA and cable TV channels without re-selecting the TV provider (although it's only about 6 remote key presses to get from the TV listings screen to the list of TV providers under the Settings menu, then a few more to select the new provider and get back to the TV listings screen). In any case, I never really envisioned that anyone would even be using What's On for cable and satellite TV listings, since I assumed that most cable/satellite services come with their own channel guides. Most people, including myself, only use it for OTA listings. I'm glad the cable/satellite stuff works though for people who want it. I did switch servers a couple of months ago, so that the data is now coming through Google's servers, which are quite a bit faster than one of the other servers I was using. Hopefully that helps to download the longer cable/satellite listings a little faster.

itsRoly

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:27 pm

belltown wrote:
carsokk wrote:

Thanks for your comments, carsokk. You're the first (and only) person to suggest those particular features. The way the code is designed, it would take quite a bit of work to implement them, and I'm really not planning on adding much more functionality to What's On. I'm surprised you're asking for multiple zip codes for movie locations; for my zip code, I get around 40 movie theatres listed, not just from my zip code, but from several surrounding zip codes as well. I'm not sure I can come up with a workaround for you either if you want to see both OTA and cable TV channels without re-selecting the TV provider (although it's only about 6 remote key presses to get from the TV listings screen to the list of TV providers under the Settings menu, then a few more to select the new provider and get back to the TV listings screen). In any case, I never really envisioned that anyone would even be using What's On for cable and satellite TV listings, since I assumed that most cable/satellite services come with their own channel guides. Most people, including myself, only use it for OTA listings. I'm glad the cable/satellite stuff works though for people who want it. I did switch servers a couple of months ago, so that the data is now coming through Google's servers, which are quite a bit faster than one of the other servers I was using. Hopefully that helps to download the longer cable/satellite listings a little faster.

Can you make the listings scroll? Like from top to bottom? Just like how it used to be on Prevue Guide and TV Guide Channel and on those Zap2it Program Guide channels? I would like to see that as an option.
1 Roku Streaming Stick (HDMI)
2 NOAA Wx Radios (Midland WR-120 & HH54VP2)
2 Laptops (ASUS Book T-100 & Dell Latitude D620)
1 iPod Touch - 4th G.
1 Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Core Prime)
1 Smartwatch (ASUS ZenWatch 2)
1 HD Radio (Insignia NS-HDRAD)

JamesChannel

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:52 pm

Hello, can someone provide me the code to add a TV Guide to my existing channel please? not sure if this is too outdated : https://github.com/belltown/Roku-TVGridExample
I know how to use WebGrab+ to grab the program listings for a specified network to an XML but now need a way for my channel to read it and put it into a TV Guide format. Thank you

Jem

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:58 am

Channel sounds great but I'm unable to add it by clicking the link. What's the best way to add? Do I need a code?

belltown
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:32 am

Jem wrote:
Channel sounds great but I'm unable to add it by clicking the link.  What's the best way to add?  Do I need a code?

It looks like that particular way of linking to private channels has been broken. Try this:
Make sure you're logged in to your roku.com account, the same Roku account to which your Roku device is linked. Then try this link: https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=WHATSONCHANNEL

Arezth

Mon May 15, 2017 3:39 pm

First of, thank you @belltown for sharing this! I've been breaking my head on creating one for my channel, still am but now I have a better idea on what I was missing. Do you think adding a functionality to move across the guide towards the right, as to be able to see more future content, what would you recommend? I was thinking on using onkeyevents to displace the rows, but I have yet to go deep into the code to check the plausability.

Jayaro

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am

Looks like the guide data is some what broken and crashing the app. Only way it doesn't crash is to turn off 3 hour guide - and then it lists Dec 31, 6pm as the date and time. The listings are accurate though.

belltown
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 am

Jayaro wrote:
Looks like the guide data is some what broken and crashing the app. Only way it doesn't crash is to turn off 3 hour guide - and then it lists Dec 31, 6pm as the date and time. The listings are accurate though.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I've identified the problem and implemented a fix. Unfortunately, I've been unable to upload the change through the Roku developer portal. They've implemented new "security" measures due to problems they've been having with "robots" developing Roku channels. I haven't been able to get past this step and prove I'm not a robot. Not sure if/when I'll be able to get past this hurdle.

rwhewitt

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Has there been any progress on reviving the Whats On channel or is it now permanently disabled?  If the Developer is having trouble uploading a fix, perhaps someone on this forum could contact him and help him with the NEW upload process.  So many of us find this channel to be useful on a daily basis.