Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

robertm
Topic Author

Simple.tv

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 am

https://www.simple.tv/

So for $150 you can have an OTA DVR that streams to your Roku. You still need an antenna and they do have an optional $5 a month charge for programming guide.

I know a lot of you have found cheaper ways to work around it but for a non-technical person this looks like a good deal.

Also, I realize I started a thread last week about how silly it would be to have live broadcasts on the Roku but this also has the DVR function and it is a single unit that wirelessly feeds all of the compatible devices in your home.

socantra

Re: Simple.tv

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 am

Wake me when they have an actual product.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

cwniles

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 am

Winning "Best of Show" at CES 2012 (not an easy thing to do) indicates to me that the product does exist....it is just not available on a large scale via the retail market yet.

tho even if it were widely available I wouldn't be buying one.....
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 am

I like the idea a lot. I got my HDHomeRun for the network-available tuner, and used my Ubuntu machine (now a Windows machine) for the media server. Something in an all-in-one package for not that much more isn't a bad deal.

j653

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:30 pm

CNET did a "hands on" with the simple.tv, and they've got some screen shots of the Roku interface.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33376_1-573565 ... ng-device/

"The Roku app was having some connectivity issues, but we got to see the design of the interface. It's much more basic than what's on the iPad app, but you can still watch live TV and access recordings. The EPG interface could certainly use more screen real estate and we'd prefer network names like CBS vs. "KPIXDT", but the app isn't finished yet.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-33376_1-573565 ... z1jeRWKOOb"

robertm
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:33 pm

cwniles wrote:
Winning "Best of Show" at CES 2012 (not an easy thing to do) indicates to me that the product does exist....it is just not available on a large scale via the retail market yet.

tho even if it were widely available I wouldn't be buying one.....

If I knew for sure that a roof antenna would get most of my OTA channels I'd get it. Local channels through Dish Network for me has not always been great.

socantra

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 pm

cwniles wrote:

It indicates to me that they hope to now be able to raise the money to be able to produce a product "on a large scale via the retail market", and their odds are much better than they were before winning "Best of Show".

crassh76

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for pointing Simple.tv out. It looks exactly like what I've been looking for. I'm on the waiting list now. I am still trying to get a few questions answered tho. I posted these on their forum but was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with it yet or may have the answers.

1. Is the app already available on Roku yet?

2. Can you record a program and watch another?

3. How many shows can you recored at once?

Edit: I did some more digging and found the answers to these questions.

1. Doesn't appear to be polished yet.

2. Yes, but you can not pause live tv then.

3. You can record 1 show at a time.
Last edited by crassh76 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roku Premiere
Roku Stick
and a bunch of original Rokus
Wifi 35 Mbps
Plume Pods
Philips 47" LCD 1080P
Roku to TV by HDMI for A/V
Eastern Time Zone (Florida zip code 34987)

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:41 pm

socantra wrote:
cwniles wrote:

It indicates to me that they hope to now be able to raise the money to be able to produce a product "on a large scale via the retail market", and their odds are much better than they were before winning "Best of Show".

If it's coming in Spring 2012, they're well beyond that point. It's most certainly not vaporware.

robertm
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:47 pm

socantra wrote:
cwniles wrote:

It is even more of an indication that streaming devices are popular enough for companies to develop companion products. It also widens Roku's market to anyone capable of getting OTA that at least has enough broadband to get the box registered.

socantra

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:50 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
If it's coming in Spring 2012, they're well beyond that point. It's most certainly not vaporware.

I'll hold my breath, and look forward to the early adopter's reviews.

robertm
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

crassh76 wrote:
Thanks for pointing Simple.tv out. It looks exactly like what I've been looking for. I'm on the waiting list now. I am still trying to get a few questions answered tho. I posted these on their forum but was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with it yet or may have the answers.

Is the app already available on Roku yet?

Can you record a program and watch another?

How many shows can you recored at once?

Their site suggested stacks so I took that to mean one tuner per box but that you could access multiple units. But I am no expert on the subject I just thought this looked interesting. If you find real answers to your questions post them here. This could be enough for me to try the rooftop antenna.

robertm
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:54 pm

socantra wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

I'll hold my breath, and look forward to the early adopter's reviews.

Geez, did they pee in your Cheerios?

socantra

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 pm

robertm wrote:

That's just downright bizarre!

robertm
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 pm

socantra wrote:
robertm wrote:

That's just downright bizarre!

It is a common expression like "did they run over your dog?"

But really, you are being quite the Debbie Downer.