Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ghola

Re: Simple.tv

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

this looks like a great device. perfect for me as a "cord cutter" who doesn't want to spring for a tivo or that dtvpal.
looking forward to this!

Matt9876

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:03 pm

I would only have interest in the product if you can skip the monthly service fee for guide data and have it record via time recording options (daily, weekly Mon-Fri,etc.).
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV

socantra

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Hmmm...... Still don't have a product after nearly 2 months. Can I quit holding my breath now?
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

crassh76

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:10 pm

socantra wrote:
Hmmm...... Still don't have a product after nearly 2 months. Can I quit holding my breath now?

This is from today: http://www.htguys.com/podcasts/2012/3/9 ... world.html . The Home Theater Guys talk about Simple.TV — and why they think it "fits the bill exactly"... Skip to 41:50 in the podcast to hear the Simple.TV article.
Roku Premiere
Roku Stick
and a bunch of original Rokus
Wifi 35 Mbps
Plume Pods
Philips 47" LCD 1080P
Roku to TV by HDMI for A/V
Eastern Time Zone (Florida zip code 34987)

robertm
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:58 am

socantra wrote:

I really don't get the attitude but I should point out it is not even Spring yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they were late getting enough produced to start selling but I wouldn't have expected them to do it early.

socantra

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 am

Not really an attitude. I just have a hard time getting real excited about things that don't really exist yet, might or might not exist in the future and might turn out to be something very different than the original concept/test model presented at ces, if they do ever come to fruition.

I wish them (and you) all the best. :)

robertm
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:43 am

socantra wrote:
Not really an attitude. I just have a hard time getting real excited about things that don't really exist yet, might or might not exist in the future and might turn out to be something very different than the original concept/test model presented at ces, if they do ever come to fruition.

I wish them (and you) all the best. :)

Doesn't really explain why you are tracking its progress or lack of, but whatever.

socantra

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:21 am

robertm wrote:

Doesn't really explain why you are tracking its progress or lack of, but whatever.

Not really tracking. Thread dormant since January, bumped. Thought maybe there was a product now and it was time to pay attention. Wrong again. :)

robertm
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 am

socantra wrote:
robertm wrote:

Not really tracking. Thread dormant since January, bumped. Thought maybe there was a product now and it was time to pay attention. Wrong again. :)

I doubt we know anything until Summer if all they had was a single prototype at CES. It always takes longer than expected to get to market on something that is brand new. There are just too many steps. It probably hasn't even had a beta release yet. When they start sending demos to media and bloggers we will know it is getting close, assuming it is still coming.

lumberjack

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:33 am

I received a survey from simple.tv asking if I would be interested in a $249 price which includes EPG, iphone, unlimited streaming without paying the $5/month. Looks like they are considering other pricing options.

Looking forward to it and would pay $249 to avoid subscription.

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 am

They've started a Kickstarter project:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57 ... nna-bundle
For $200, you'll get the Simple.TV box, a full year of advanced EPG data and remote streaming capabilities, a Mohu antenna and a Simple.TV t-shirt--a pretty good deal, considering the Simple.TV box itself will sell for $150. For $300, Simple.TV will also throw in a Roku XD and a lifetime premium subscription.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simpletv/cut-the-cord-with-the-simpletv-dvr

Retail pricing details (gleaned from kickstarter page):
Simple.tv hardware: $149
Premier Subscription service: $4.95 a month/$49 a year
"Premier Service" is what we call the optional monthly subscription service that provides you with a rich program guide and the ability to stream to devices outside the home. Simple.TV works without it, but you'll get a more basic experience (which is fine for some people, while other will want the ability to schedule series recordings and stream remotely).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

dwanthny

OTA DVR with Roku App

Thu May 31, 2012 4:01 am

Check out the kickstarter page for deals on various bundles for initial customers via kickstarter. Stream OTA TV through your Roku. Stream OTA recorded programming to up to 5 Rokus at the same time.
Q: How many tuners does Simple.TV have?

A: Simple.TV has a single tuner, so one live show can be watched or recorded at a time. Shortly after launch, Simple.TV will support multiple DVRs on one account, so you can stack Simple.TV boxes for more tuners.

Q: Can Simple.TV serve up video files from my Mac or PC?

A: Not yet. While Simple.TV does sit on your network and have tons of video encoding power, it’s focused on capturing TV content from your antenna or basic cable. In the future, we may add support for network files as well.

Q: How many people can watch Simple.TV at a time?

A: Simple.TV allows up to five simultaneous connections so your family can all log in and watch live TV or recorded shows. Everyone can watch live TV at the same time, as long as it’s the same channel. When watching recorded shows, up to five different programs can be streamed at once.

aced411

Thu May 31, 2012 6:51 am

I was totally down to buy one of these with the monthly service and was even signed up for pre-order until I saw they are asking for money through kickstarter. No thanks. I'll keep an eye on things and if they end up doing well I'll reconsider

mommom

Thu May 31, 2012 3:02 pm

Its a single tuner but you can stack multiple boxes at $150 each to record more than 1 channel at a time?

zwei

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:58 am

I backed them at the $149 level on Kickstarter.