Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

"Lilyhammer" now available on Netflix! Netflix original show

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:27 am

I just added the Netflix series "Lilyhammer" that premiers today and was surprised that 8 episodes were added and available. I had thought this would be a weekly series but seeing 8 listed I will try to watch as many as I can today in case it is a temporary glitch.

Here is the info from the Netflix page:

Lilyhammer 2011 TV-MA 1 Season

After he testifies against a Mafia boss, ex-gangster Frank Tagliano enters the witness protection program and asks to be sent to Norway. Despite the peaceful surroundings, it's not long before Frank strays from the straight and narrow.

Genre:
TV Shows, TV Dramas, Crime TV Dramas, TV Dramedies

This show is:
Quirky

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?v1=Lilyhammer&oq=lilyh&ac_posn=1&ac_rec=true

Anyone watch it yet? Opinions?

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

gonzotek

Re: "Lilyhammer" now available on Netflix! Netflix original

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:35 am

DaBronx wrote:
I just added the Netflix series "Lilyhammer" that premiers today and was surprised that 8 episodes were added and available. I had thought this would be a weekly series but seeing 8 listed I will try to watch as many as I can today in case it is a temporary glitch.

Here is the info from the Netflix page:

Lilyhammer 2011 TV-MA 1 Season

After he testifies against a Mafia boss, ex-gangster Frank Tagliano enters the witness protection program and asks to be sent to Norway. Despite the peaceful surroundings, it's not long before Frank strays from the straight and narrow.

Genre:
TV Shows, TV Dramas, Crime TV Dramas, TV Dramedies

This show is:
Quirky

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?v1=Lilyhammer&oq=lilyh&ac_posn=1&ac_rec=true

Anyone watch it yet? Opinions?

Peace

brett

It's the complete series by design:
http://blog.netflix.com/2012/02/lilyham ... today.html
Do you love the indulgence of watching episode after episode of your favorite shows on Netflix?

Have you ever wished you could do the same with new shows when they premiere on TV?

Well, starting today, you can enjoy as many episodes as you please of the brand new Netflix Original Series "Lilyhammer," starring Steven Van Zandt.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:45 am

gonzotek wrote:
Do you love the indulgence of watching episode after episode of your favorite shows on Netflix?

Have you ever wished you could do the same with new shows when they premiere on TV?

Well, starting today, you can enjoy as many episodes as you please of the brand new Netflix Original Series "Lilyhammer," starring Steven Van Zandt.

Thank you. Now I don't have to watch it all today.

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

gonzotek

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:21 am

DaBronx wrote:
gonzotek wrote:

Thank you. Now I don't have to watch it all today.

Peace

brett
:) It sounds like an interesting premise, going to try to get my wife to sit down with me to watch.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:16 pm

I watched the first two episodes. Interesting, Steven Van Zandt plays the same type character he played on The Sopranos, just with a lot more snow. Some funny moments too. I will definitely watch a few more if not all. Not great but worth watching would be my review, not a waste of time.

Don't want to talk too much about the show for members who have not viewed it yet.

Peace

brett

JimDandySTX

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 am

Watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them. As with all series of this type the characters grow on you.

Will watch the remaining episodes.

Ronniezee

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:50 am

WOW! Thanks for the heads up on Lillyhammer. Didn't realize Netflix had it!!
One reviewer says it's "The Soprano's meet Fargo"

QuantumIguana

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:27 am

It doesn't seem like my kind of show, but it is pretty exciting seeing another crack in cable. I dumped cable a couple years ago, and haven't missed it, OTA and Netflix filled in pretty well. New series made for Internet distribution, is pretty exciting. It used to be that TV series were just for broadcast TV, then we began having new series on cable channels. Now, it's new series on Netflix. It is another thing tearing down the cable. As far as I am concerned, the only thing that cable has going for it is sports.

microlady

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks for all the posts. I had just downloaded this series based on the idea it was similar to the Sopranos which is one of my husband's favorite series so I believe we will enjoy this one. Glad to see the good reviews about it.

I agree with QuantumIguana: Cable is getting to be necessary when one enjoys sports, especially since the major broadcasters keep giving up their programs like Monday Night Football, etc., over to ESPN, etc. Even Golf has its own channel. We can't cut the cable cord largely due to sports but also there are still some series on AMC, FX, TNT, and USA, A&E that we are enjoying but if all goes to Instant Seasons, I could live with that. I don't mind waiting to watch episodes but can't cut the cable until we can watch the ones we like elsewhere.

Anyway, thanks to all for posting comments on the new series. Looking forward to watching it.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick

mkiker2089

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Bummer, Netflix isn't sure I'll like it. I didn't like Soprano's however I like Bones and Breaking Bad which are listed as similar. I'll just have to see.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

Gilgamesh

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:12 pm

Well, as I have said in another thread getting new and fresh content for streaming is a good thing but I doubt I will ever watch this.

As was earlier posted:
One reviewer says it's "The Soprano's meet Fargo"

And I disliked both of those shows so their offspring would probably be thoroughly detestable for me.

However I REALLY hope people watch it in droves. If they do it will encourage more production of "Direct to streaming" content and, eventually, they may stumble onto shows that I will like. (Maybe they will revive Firefly for streaming!)

It occurs to me, and probably others, that good series that did not draw a huge audience could avoid death if a direct to streaming option was available for them to try to keep the show alive.

I can think of at least 10 past shows that I liked that a streaming option might have saved like:
1. Firefly
2. The Flash
3. Longstreet
4. Kolchak: The Night Stalker
5. The Prisoner
6. John Doe
7. Veronica Mars
8. The Shield
9. Fear Itself
10. The Beast
There are many many others that were canceled before they really had a chance (I am sure others will mention some) and some of the better ones might have been saved if there had been another option.

I love the idea that there may now be a way for more diverse and more daring programing to find its way into production.

The future is at least "interesting."

But one must remember the curse: "May you live in interesting times."

mkiker2089

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Reed (think it was him, someone big at N) said a profound flower no to Firefly. Hopefully they will revisit that. They said the actors changed and the sets are gone. Well build new sets and move on. If someone could bring Spock back from the dead they certainly can come up with Firefly stories that take into account that time has passed. Or better yet ignore that the people have possibly aged a little.

Netflix needs a poll page for people to vote on series that they want resurrected. I'm voting for TJ Hooker personally. They think the Firefly cast has aged, try working around that one.
-Marshall-

knuckle

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:32 pm

:)
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

KennyJ

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Watched and liked the first episode. Plan to keep watching. I like the fish out of water/culture clash type shows/movies.

mkiker2089

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:04 pm

I like the lead actor and I say comparing it to Soprano's is unfair to it. Soprano's was well made but hinged on a soap opera like story arc. I know that sounds unpleasant but I can't think of a better term. Drama perhaps, but not as in Masterpiece Theatre but drama as in Jersey Shore.

Judging from the first episode L is more character based. Less created drama and strife and more different characters just meshing the way they do.
-Marshall-