Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

robertm

Re: Moving on

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:51 pm

gonzotek wrote:
DVD sales are shrinking[1], itunes video content is encrypted(so no local network playback unless you're in Apple's ecosystem), and blu-ray is not ever expected to gain the same traction that dvd once had[2].

Basically, the kind of content that was once ALWAYS eventually made available on dvd will become (physically) scarcer and scarcer. On-Demand services from cable and the internet will be competing with physical media, which requires valuable self-space in brick-and-mortar stores (see also the shrinking packaged disc sections[3] at your local retailer, and revisit in two years or so to see if they've grown or shrunk further). If they can't acquire the content physically in the first place, local streaming obviously becomes less useful to a user.

DVD sales shrinking and the slow adoption of BDs is the reason I believe local streaming will get bigger before it gets smaller. People are recognizing that discs are inconvenient and they are unwilling to buy the content again. I am one of them. I don't believe I need BD quality for most of my movies and TV shows and I had a bookshelf full of DVDs. If given the chance I'd stream everything I want from Netflix but they don't have all I want. When I want to get my Northern Exposure fix, for instance, I have to turn back to my own collection. Some of the content I have on DVD may never show up again. Look at how many shows never came out on DVD. You can't find anything beyond season 1 of Fantasy Island. The next culling will see more casualities.

While they battle out how legal it is to rip your own DVDs I have a clear conscious. They got their money and I am not selling the discs or giving them away. If I don't feel like I need the disc any longer I throw it away.

mkiker2089

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Robert, you very own argument for local streaming actually is a reason why I think it won't take off. Fantasy Island is lost to the ages so which will happen first? Will someone stream it from masters already on file or will the print discs, create packaging, and try to sell them?

Streaming for some (not many I think but I could be wrong) is a short term answer for convenience. Beyond that new acquisitions won't be streamed locally if the studios have their way.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

mommom

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:32 pm

There is a huge market of people who like to save money ,senior citizens,students on a budget,cor utters,tech-challenged people,etc who are perfect matches for Roku.A good percent of them will never pay the big bucks for an Ipad or an Iphone.A lot of families find the ease of use of the Roku to work out well for children.And a lot of the things you think the Roku can't do,it can,with a little help from your pc and a private channel or 2.

In any case--I would be very happy to take your Rokus off your hands.I will be thrilled to pay shipping! :D :D :D

leakman7

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:32 pm

I have hours and hours of my own video on my hard drives. It would take forever to upload to the "cloud". Local streaming is the only option and I'm not about to take the time to convert that much video to a format "convenient" to Roku. I'm sure given the millions of video cameras sold that I'm not the only one.

For now I like the Roku for mostly Netflix and Twit, but that's about it. When something else comes along that does more, I may go for it.

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:41 pm

leakman7 wrote:
I have hours and hours of my own video on my hard drives. It would take forever to upload to the "cloud". Local streaming is the only option and I'm not about to take the time to convert that much video to a format "convenient" to Roku. I'm sure given the millions of video cameras sold that I'm not the only one.

For now I like the Roku for mostly Netflix and Twit, but that's about it. When something else comes along that does more, I may go for it.
There aren't a lot of boxes in the price range of a Roku that handle many formats with grace. What are you using now to get your videos on the tv?
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

buenafe

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 pm

I recently picked up my second Roku from a friend who also "moved on". We both own a Boxee Box. I was a fan of Boxee in the past. The STB field is going to be pretty dynamic. The silver lining is that this generates healthy competition.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
current: two roku XDS 2xs, dtvpal, boxeebox, kylo.tv,
radar: wdlxtv.com

robertm

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:27 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
Robert, you very own argument for local streaming actually is a reason why I think it won't take off. Fantasy Island is lost to the ages so which will happen first? Will someone stream it from masters already on file or will the print discs, create packaging, and try to sell them?

Streaming for some (not many I think but I could be wrong) is a short term answer for convenience. Beyond that new acquisitions won't be streamed locally if the studios have their way.

If they never got the rights secured for releasing them during the heyday of DVDs what makes you think they will get them for streaming? Our only hope is that as time continues to progress whoever is holding things up will eventually feel that making something is better than making nothing.

I am not convinced we will ever see the truly iconic movies on streaming and if we do it will be very expensive. Don't get me wrong. I like Netflix's selection but there are times I want the very valuable blockbuster or the rare TV show and now that I have paid for it why would I pay extra to stream it? I just don't see companies like Disney ever getting away from the pay-per-copy model.

If ripping were more user-friendly local streaming beats internet streams by a large margin. You don't have to worry about bandwidth caps, stream quality, service outages, or monthly fees. The selection is fixed and never expires so the movie you loved enough to buy is always there and storage is getting cheaper all the time.

Let's not forget that the smart marketing people at both Dlink and Western Digital think there is enough of a market to have products to sell for it. That alone says more than any of our speculations.

scyber

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Now its been a while since I looked into it so I could be wrong, but last I saw, Apple only licensed AirPlay for audio streaming, not video streaming. On the receiving end that is. If that is still the case then you should be complaining to Apple about not being able to stream video to the Roku. Now technically Roku could still pay a license for the audio portion of Airplay, but they seem pretty focused on video. Alternately, they could use one of the reverse engineered Airplay solutions, but that would open them up to potential lawsuits.

traal

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:38 pm

leakman7 wrote:
I have hours and hours of my own video on my hard drives. It would take forever to upload to the "cloud".

Then don't upload. Ship it!

pmcd

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:48 pm

gonzotek wrote:
Re: Airplay and AppleTV. Before you ditch your Rokus for AppleTV/iTV, be aware that content providers can limit the ability of iDevices to send content to AppleTV. HBOGO does it already.

That restriction doesn't apply to the iPad2 and iPhone4S because of AirPlay mirroring. I don't know about an iTV if that is even a real potential product. I have both a Roku2 and an ATV2. In an odd way they coexist quite nicely.

philip

ewsjr

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 pm

scyber wrote:
Now its been a while since I looked into it so I could be wrong, but last I saw, Apple only licensed AirPlay for audio streaming, not video streaming. On the receiving end that is. If that is still the case then you should be complaining to Apple about not being able to stream video to the Roku. Now technically Roku could still pay a license for the audio portion of Airplay, but they seem pretty focused on video. Alternately, they could use one of the reverse engineered Airplay solutions, but that would open them up to potential lawsuits.

Apple is thinking about expanding AirPlay to streaming (though this article is nearly a year old so who knows what's up now):
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-2 ... vices.html

mommom

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:49 pm

leakman7 wrote:

I currently have over 200 movies on my 6 week old HTPC.Some are downloads,some are from my DD portable hard drives,some were on my old server,some were on USB,some are copies of DVD's we own,etc.I know there are MKV,AVI,MPEG4,and who knows what else.I watch them in another room with a Roku all the time.I have no idea how to convert videos.I just use a private channel that does it for me.It means my Pc has to be running,but it would be anyway.It couldn't be easier.I used to use an old AMD dualcore 1.9 GHZ,it had an occasional hiccup.I now have an AMD quadcore with 8 GB ram and its like butter on the Roku.

destructo

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:19 am

robertm wrote:
If they never got the rights secured for releasing them during the heyday of DVDs what makes you think they will get them for streaming? Our only hope is that as time continues to progress whoever is holding things up will eventually feel that making something is better than making nothing.

I am not convinced we will ever see the truly iconic movies on streaming and if we do it will be very expensive. Don't get me wrong. I like Netflix's selection but there are times I want the very valuable blockbuster or the rare TV show and now that I have paid for it why would I pay extra to stream it? I just don't see companies like Disney ever getting away from the pay-per-copy model.

If ripping were more user-friendly local streaming beats internet streams by a large margin. You don't have to worry about bandwidth caps, stream quality, service outages, or monthly fees. The selection is fixed and never expires so the movie you loved enough to buy is always there and storage is getting cheaper all the time.

Let's not forget that the smart marketing people at both Dlink and Western Digital think there is enough of a market to have products to sell for it. That alone says more than any of our speculations.

+1
destructo
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rokoding: http://roku.yt1300.com
Destructo! Project: http://destructo.YT1300.com
LunchTray Conspiracy: http://lunchtray.YT1300.com

ronfelder

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:37 am

Some one please explain to me why I'd rip my dvds to put them on an a hd to watch them by a server when I can just watch them on my tv by using my dvd player? Seems so much simpler and no time spent ripping.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 am

It's nice having them all in one place, and having instant access to them via the same interface as everything else. It's also saved me from having to keep several hundred DVDs around.