Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Moving on

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:06 am

ronfelder wrote:
Some one please explain to me why I'd rip my dvds to put them on an a hd to watch them by a server when I can just watch them on my tv by using my dvd player? Seems so much simpler and no time spent ripping.

Its really no different than the idea of ripping *your* music versus just listening to streaming radio. Who wants all those bulky Cds? I don't use a media server but as an example, I have 250+ movies all on a single usb hard drive the size of a deck of cards that I can instantly choose among whereas I used to have shelves and shelves and shelves of dvds to look through to find something to watch. The space saved by not having the physical discs anymore is well worth it. I haven't even had a dvd player plugged into the TV in ages.

edited to add-since they're all in digital form I can put them on my iPhone and/or tablet for times when I don't have access to an internet connection like on a plane, etc.

gonzotek

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:11 am

ronfelder wrote:
Some one please explain to me why I'd rip my dvds to put them on an a hd to watch them by a server when I can just watch them on my tv by using my dvd player? Seems so much simpler and no time spent ripping.

Instant access (no getting up to find and insert the dvd)
No wear and tear damage to the originals (think: children)
You can choice to remove the annoying menus/ads/announcements that precede the main movie (these are sometimes unable to be skipped on the disc).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

socantra

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 am

I'm moving my DVDs to usb drives because I'm tired of the clutter of the physical discs. I also just had one of my older DVD players go belly up and don't really see the need to replace it. Bluray doesn't really interest me and until I get around to moving one of the other players in to the main TV, the little hard drive attached to the Roku works well.

I don't use a server (except for the little usb drive) and I find with all the streaming available, I don't really even bother with the personal collection that much anymore. Storage is so cheap now (even with the floods in Thailand) it just hardly seems worth having all those DVDs gathering dust around.

Once you get the process down, you can batch mode the conversion in the middle of the night (or whenever is idle time) so that's not really a hassle either. The only problem is getting up to change the little 320GB usb drives. Life is hard. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

robertm

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:29 pm

ronfelder wrote:

I have a 3 story home with 2 main viewing areas and 2 that are used frequently. There is no place I can put discs where they will be convenient. Before ripping I copied some of my favorites but then it just becomes more junk. I also do not have to worry about disc damage that can happen even if you are careful most of the time.

Then we move into the how nice it is to be lazy at the end of a long day area. I no longer have to choose what I want to watch before I sit down. No standing in front of a shelf in a daze trying to decide what I am in the mood for that evening. I can change my mind at any time without changing discs. In addition to Netflix and other services I have another entire video store that I can browse with a remote. I can watch single episodes of several shows instead of a whole disc of one. I can also stop whatever I am watching in one room and pick it up in another without moving media around.

The one thing I don't rip is BDs. They take up too much storage space and I will never own enough of them to matter. I buy the combo BD/DVDs for movies I think might be nice in BD so I can rip the DVD and use the BD occasionally if I want to get my 1080p on.

Money is a big factor too. Honestly, after I got Roku+Netflix and then Amazon came along my DVDs just started collecting dust. All that money spent and I seldom ever wanted to fool with them because between the DVR and the Roku selections I'd settle before I wanted to deal with discs.

All-in-all though it is probably hard to imagine until you jump in and do it a little. It starts becoming real when you have loaded the first 100 of your most prized DVDs. I did mine in order of personal ranking by genre. So I'd pick 30 or so of my 5 star comedies then the same of Action, and so on. With TV I did the same but only a couple of seasons then go back and get my 4 stars so I'd have a couple of seasons of a large variety instead of all of the seasons of one show at a time.

I am 90 percent done. I take breaks from it because it can get monotonous but I am wanting to get it finished now.

TheEndless

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 pm

pmcd wrote:
gonzotek wrote:
Re: Airplay and AppleTV. Before you ditch your Rokus for AppleTV/iTV, be aware that content providers can limit the ability of iDevices to send content to AppleTV. HBOGO does it already.

That restriction doesn't apply to the iPad2 and iPhone4S because of AirPlay mirroring. I don't know about an iTV if that is even a real potential product. I have both a Roku2 and an ATV2. In an odd way they coexist quite nicely.

philip

It does apply to AirPlay mirroring as well. HBO GO displays the following message when you attempt to view it via AirPlay mirroring: "We're sorry, but HBO GO does not currently support HDMI video out from this device. We hope to offer this capability in the future."
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

gonzotek

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 pm

TheEndless wrote:
pmcd wrote:
gonzotek wrote:
Re: Airplay and AppleTV. Before you ditch your Rokus for AppleTV/iTV, be aware that content providers can limit the ability of iDevices to send content to AppleTV. HBOGO does it already.

That restriction doesn't apply to the iPad2 and iPhone4S because of AirPlay mirroring. I don't know about an iTV if that is even a real potential product. I have both a Roku2 and an ATV2. In an odd way they coexist quite nicely.

philip

It does apply to AirPlay mirroring as well. HBO GO displays the following message when you attempt to view it via AirPlay mirroring: "We're sorry, but HBO GO does not currently support HDMI video out from this device. We hope to offer this capability in the future."
Thanks, I thought that was the case, but hadn't bothered to double-check.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

ronfelder

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:01 pm

[quote="socantra"]I'm moving my DVDs to usb drives because I'm tired of the clutter of the physical discs. I also just had one of my older DVD players go belly up and don't really see the need to replace it. Bluray doesn't really interest me and until I get around to moving one of the other players in to the main TV, the little hard drive attached to the Roku works well.

I don't use a server (except for the little usb drive) and I find with all the streaming available, I don't really even bother with the personal collection that much anymore. Storage is so cheap now (even with the floods in Thailand) it just hardly seems worth having all those DVDs gathering dust
around.

Once you get the process down, you can batch mode the conversion in the middle of the night (or whenever is idle time) so that's not really a hassle either. The only problem is getting up to change the little 320GB usb drives. Life is hard. :)[/quot

I prefer bd and only buy bd.Ii copy dvd for Ii can't copy bd.Court btu needs I'll stock with the real disc.Much wait imo for I can't copy bd and only do dvd of that is the only way I can rent it.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver

Crow550

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Once the discs you have purchased and ripped then leave your property and you keep the digital copy it becomes piracy.

Sometime soon I plan to get some DVD binders. Put all my discs in them and put the cases in a box in my closet. So tired of the wasted space from the cases. Except the rare collectors edition casing. Then I plan to get a big networked HDD and rip all my discs to it.

The truth is. Ever since I have been streaming I haven't dusted off my collection. Only a few rare times when guests come over. I haven't purchase many Titles either and when I do it's on Blu-Ray and on some sale.

As for Roku and local streaming. I can see DLNA coming sometime soon.

I have other devices that can stream from my PC. Even if I do rip my collection I don't know how often I will watch it as I'm always watching something else. Chances are if I want to re-watch a Title I own. I'd want to see it in HD anyways.

As for the Roku boxes. I have a PC now hooked in my living room as well and while it's nice for watching DVRed OTA content or content not on the box. Most of the streaming stuff I do watch is on the box. It's just so easy and quick.

I really don't see why local streaming won't be added if even my Homebrewed Wii will play local files over SMB in Wii Media Center just fine. It's not that difficult to add.