Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mkiker2089
Topic Author

anyone know what this "premium" channel is?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:15 am

Someone on ebay is selling http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... OC:US:1123

My guess is that they have a private channel and are selling that. I'm thinking it's possibly ok since they have good feedback. Otherwise I'd say they are just selling the code to get Nowhereman's channel. i know someone who bought it so I'll follow up in a few weeks if no one here knows.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: anyone know what this "premium" channel is?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 am

Looks interesting.. Tempting.. I'd like to know the verdict on it. I wonder why they're selling the code on eBay though, if there's a monthly charge anyway?

NVM, I see it's a "one-time" fee, not a monthly fee.. I DO wonder what it is and for how long it'll be around. I also wonder what they'll do if the code leaks?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

cwniles

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 am

well it is only $24.95 but I work too hard for my money to throw it away on something with little to no details and no valid buyer feedback or trial period......smells funny to me.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

DBDukes

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:37 am

Misspellings in the item description always give me pause. The ALL-CAPS is always a turn-off. The only thing missing is an address in Nigeria.

I wonder if things like this will be the 2010s version of the Potato Bug Killer http://www.snopes.com/business/market/taterbug.asp
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jhernes

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 am

This is a Scum. I challenge the Developer to post something here and let’s see…what happen? Yeahh I smell something fishy, ewwww...
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

kc8pql

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:45 am

Well, now we know Roku has truly entered the mainstream...It's first ebay scam.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

stratcat96

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:55 am

the guy got ahold of some pirated broadcast streams, and since its not actually any of his own content he can't possibly charge by way of the channelstore or their own website for registration. Its a cash grab is all, and I would say its only a matter of time before his feeds go dark. As for the people that bought it, "a fool and his money are soon parted"

jeffrok

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 am

You never know if it's a scam or not.. There were buyers for this item from as far back as January 5th, and all are happy.. Not saying what he/she is doing is legal, but it must be a good working channel because he's got satisfied eBay customers.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

jhernes

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 am

It's a fabricated feedback...
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

mkiker2089
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:56 am

I don't think the feedback is fabricated. If it is then they spent a lot of money doing it since you can check feedback from it's buyers and trace it back to their other feedback partners.

That's why I think what the seller has could be a private channel and grey zone feeds. I'm not willing to pay to find out however.

I'm okay with someone wanting money for their work including the time researching to find the feeds. The price is just too steep.

Then again if it is a scam or piracy then to flower with them.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

TheEndless

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am

jeffrok wrote:
I also wonder what they'll do if the code leaks?

If he/she is selling it, my guess would be that they have some sort of linking mechanism to avoid any code leak issues.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

gonzotek

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:24 am

It sounds more like he's selling access to a directory of private channels to me.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

jhernes

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:41 am

Ahhh! so it worst than on yalp...

stratcat96

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:15 pm

judging from this question and answer, gonzotech is completely right. He's selling a list of private channel codes, that's it. From his main pitch, it looks like USTVNOW (east coast locals?) is his main one. He has been given too much credit as being someone who actually made a channel, he's just emailing the buyer the codes that are available already in how many private channel databases? This is a pretty worthless cash grab.

Q: What is the product ? How does it look a like? Is it a antenna? Please explain about the product more Jan-22-12
A: You need a roku box then this is a list of services you can add to your roku box and receive east coast locals at no charge per month! plus there are free adult channels also if you want there are pay options for basic cable type channels

mikebdoss

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:24 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
judging from this question and answer, gonzotech is completely right. He's selling a list of private channel codes, that's it. From his man pitch, it looks like USTVNOW (east coast locals?) is his main one. He has been given too much credit as being someone who actually made a channel, he's just emailing the buyer the codes that are available already in how many private channel databases? This is a pretty worthless cash grab.

Q: What is the product ? How does it look a like? Is it a antenna? Please explain about the product more Jan-22-12
A: You need a roku box then this is a list of services you can add to your roku box and receive east coast locals at no charge per month! plus there are free adult channels also if you want there are pay options for basic cable type channels

So it's USTVNOW and Nowhereman's Adults Only channel. He's basically fleecing anyone who can't do a Google search and end up here.