Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Gilgamesh

Re: anyone know what this "premium" channel is?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
So it's USTVNOW and Nowhereman's Adults Only channel. He's basically fleecing anyone who can't do a Google search and end up here.

Come on now give the guy/gal/it a little more credit than that. He is simply taking advantage of an old business adage: "You can never go wrong by underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Remember the money made by "Pet rocks" or my favorite from the Cold War "Dehydrated water." If it is presented in a even slightly coherent manner people will buy it and many will buy it even if the presentation is somewhat less than coherent.

As far as the scam/product is concerned it is clearly intended to bilk the uninformed out of a little money. And in that it will, most probably be quite successful.

tnt118

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:50 pm

I suppose the proper thing for me to do is to help keep the money in the hands of hard-working americas by offering the same private channel codes for.. lets say... $15 instead.

:D

DBDukes

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Remember the guy who used to be on TV at night with the green suit? No, not Dr. Clayton Forrester, the other guy. He sold books on how to get money from the government. IIRC, the books were essentially listings of forms to fill out. You could get the same information by contacting a bunch of government agencies.

Sounds like just another version of the same thing: lists of stuff you can find easy enough if you just look for it.

The only thing is... he has 60 available. (It was 62 about 3 hours ago.) Did he run out of toner for his copy machine?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

DBDukes

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 pm

tnt118 wrote:
I suppose the proper thing for me to do is to help keep the money in the hands of hard-working americas by offering the same private channel codes for.. lets say... $15 instead.

:D

You think that will work better than 7-Minute Abs did? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHVYuRnIjY
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
So it's USTVNOW and Nowhereman's Adults Only channel. He's basically fleecing anyone who can't do a Google search and end up here.

Come on now give the guy/gal/it a little more credit than that. He is simply taking advantage of an old business adage: "You can never go wrong by underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Remember the money made by "Pet rocks" or my favorite from the Cold War "Dehydrated water." If it is presented in a even slightly coherent manner people will buy it and many will buy it even if the presentation is somewhat less than coherent.

As far as the scam/product is concerned it is clearly intended to bilk the uninformed out of a little money. And in that it will, most probably be quite successful.
:) A fool and his money.
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/webl ... ted_water/
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

stratcat96

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:19 pm

well you know what, if I was an individual who created a private channel that appeared on his list I'd be a bit perturbed he's getting paid off of my work. Something as simple as creating a channel to play a live stream of something found on the web is something that the channel maker himself can not monetize from because it's not his content but yet some flim-flam artist on Ebay can make money by "telling" people about it... This gentleman also doesn't state it's just a list in his own listing, only from his answer to a question was that revealed. He makes it out like this programming solution is his own creation. The listing is purposefully deceptive. But on that note, I just copied and pasted castrophegirl's channel database that I will be listing on Ebay for $12.95 a pop so if anyone's interested you better hurry because I know they'll go fast!

gonzotek

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:53 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
well you know what, if I was an individual who created a private channel that appeared on his list I'd be a bit perturbed he's getting paid off of my work. Something as simple as creating a channel to play a live stream of something found on the web is something that the channel maker himself can not monetize from because it's not his content but yet some flim-flam artist on Ebay can make money by "telling" people about it... This gentleman also doesn't state it's just a list in his own listing, only from his answer to a question was that revealed. He makes it out like this programming solution is his own creation
I don't disagree about the ebay seller's dishonesty here, however some private channels are able to monetize on their own, and the more widespread their code is the better for them. Others, on the other hand, would prefer if the code was never spread (think: niche apps like RE/Max). More than the channel developers, I feel bad for people like catastrophegirl and RoadRanger who go through a lot of trouble to provide the same service free.
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv

jeffrok

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Just remember how many people now own Rokus that have no idea what a "Private channel" is.. Not really their fault- not everyone is an internet forum traveler.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mkiker2089
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:23 pm

DBDukes wrote:
Remember the guy who used to be on TV at night with the green suit? No, not Dr. Clayton Forrester, the other guy. He sold books on how to get money from the government. IIRC, the books were essentially listings of forms to fill out. You could get the same information by contacting a bunch of government agencies.

Sounds like just another version of the same thing: lists of stuff you can find easy enough if you just look for it.

The only thing is... he has 60 available. (It was 62 about 3 hours ago.) Did he run out of toner for his copy machine?

In all fairness however that book was very useful. Getting that pertinent info from Uncle Sam is tedious at best. Take it from someone who has dealt with public services as a client advocate. if you get someone on the phone who decides you don't deserve anything they won't give you any info at all. I've also known people turned down for benefits when by the letter of the law the shouldn't have been. Medicaid is the worst for mailing documents late because no matter who's fault it is when time passes you have to start the app process all over. This guy had the info to skip some of the middle men.

However that guy had a LOT of info in one easy resource for a decent price. This ebay thing, I know nothing of it.
Last edited by mkiker2089 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

mkiker2089
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:26 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
well you know what, if I was an individual who created a private channel that appeared on his list I'd be a bit perturbed he's getting paid off of my work. Something as simple as creating a channel to play a live stream of something found on the web is something that the channel maker himself can not monetize from because it's not his content but yet some flim-flam artist on Ebay can make money by "telling" people about it... This gentleman also doesn't state it's just a list in his own listing, only from his answer to a question was that revealed. He makes it out like this programming solution is his own creation. The listing is purposefully deceptive. But on that note, I just copied and pasted castrophegirl's channel database that I will be listing on Ebay for $12.95 a pop so if anyone's interested you better hurry because I know they'll go fast!

On that we agree, I wouldn't want him making money off my hard work if I had created a channel.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Let me add one further question, why is the guy still getting good feedback? If he were withholding info until feedback was given it seems like someone would have complained by now. Ebay has been a lot quicker to cancel accounts lately so the fact he's still there makes me think this is at least vaguely legit.
-Marshall-

gonzotek

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:59 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
Let me add one further question, why is the guy still getting good feedback? If he were withholding info until feedback was given it seems like someone would have complained by now. Ebay has been a lot quicker to cancel accounts lately so the fact he's still there makes me think this is at least vaguely legit.
He's getting good feedback because the poor schmoes who've purchased his content feel that they've spent their money well. And what's eBay supposed to do with feedback to the effect of "I purchased this list from this guy, then found out I can get all the same info for free somewhere else. Now I demand my money back!"? Well, sorry, but buyer beware. Just because he's selling it, doesn't mean you have to buy it without researching other options.-There's a sucker born every minute.

mkiker2089
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:55 pm

I get what you are saying, and it must be correct. It just seems odd to me that he has such high feedback. 100 percent. Not a single person realized when they got the list that it's just a list of publicly available channels?

Oh well, If I hear back from the guy who bought it (should be next week) I'll let you all know for sure. He's mailing something out by the way rather than email. Which is in itself odd to me.
-Marshall-

cwniles

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:01 pm

yeah, internet feedback is questionable at best....I saw a 4 star review on Amazon for one of those stupid healing bracelets and it read

"It is a great looking bracelet and the quality is spot on. A great price as well. Unfortunately however, I found that it turns my wrist green."

but he still gave it a four star rating? :roll:
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

cwniles

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:03 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
He's mailing something out by the way rather than email. Which is in itself odd to me.

hmm, that is odd, would he really mail a list on paper? yeah, I will be interested to hear just what the scoop is on this.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141