Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

afelton97
Topic Author

New Roku consistently dropping connection

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked before but wasn't sure where to look to find answers. Hope it's ok to post a new question.

We bought a Roku player on Sunday at Best Buy and hooked it up to a tv in our bedroom. We currently have an Apple TV in our living room and have had no issues. Bought the Roku due to the Apple TV being sold out and was excited to learn we could stream amazon instant video as we have a prime account. We set it up and were able to watch fine with no issues the first night and the next morning. Since yesterday morning we have had constant connectivity issues and it's rendered the Roku box unwatchable.

We can connect and will go through the entire process of connecting to our network (FIOS and we have consistent download speed of 15.4mbps) and as soon as we try to watch a show or listen to Pandora it will either drop the connection or we can get about 5 minutes into a show before it drops the connection.

I spent an hour on the phone with customer service and checked download speed, reset the Roku player and then reset both the roku player and the wireless router. We can connect but again it will immediately drop the connection and the only way to reconnect is to go into the settings menu and re-enter the password.

Is this a common issue? Do we have a faulty box?

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: New Roku consistently dropping connection

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:15 pm

First thing I'd do is switch the Roku and AppleTV and see if the problem follows the box. If it does, it's the Roku. If it doesn't, there may be some sort of local RF interference in the bedroom.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

afelton97
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:47 pm

kc8pql wrote:
First thing I'd do is switch the Roku and AppleTV and see if the problem follows the box. If it does, it's the Roku. If it doesn't, there may be some sort of local RF interference in the bedroom.

Would it matter that other wifi products work in the bedroom? My kindle fire and 2 different iPhones and 2 iPods work with wifi in that room.

kc8pql

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:30 pm

^ Not necessarily. Sometimes just moving or rotating the Roku can help if it's Rf interference from another component in your setup (DVD player, cable box, TV etc).
Switching the boxes will tell you if the problem is with the box it's self or not.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

stratcat96

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:38 pm

you can actually see in the little wireless signal pictoral of signal strength. I put my R2 behind my TV and all of a sudden I'm rebuffering Netflix and other various signal related problems. I went into settings on that little gauge was showing only one "wave" of reception. Moved the Roku one foot to the left and re-checking that gauge shows full signal. Now there's no problems with rebuffering or anything. It can be that simple

SuetyStanes

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:00 am

afelton97 wrote:
kc8pql wrote:

Would it matter that other wifi products work in the bedroom? My kindle fire and 2 different iPhones and 2 iPods work with wifi in that room.

That can be misleading since those devices might not show signal interference the same way streaming video will get disrupted by signal interference. Depending on what you're doing on the iDevices, they might be losing and regaining signal without you really noticing. Dropped signal becomes really obvious when you're trying to watch streaming video on something that doesn't have much of a buffer/cache.

SLStout

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Coincidence? All three of my Roku Players began having the same type of connectivity problems on the same day as yours. Never had any problems with them like this in the past. All other devices, computers & laptops & tablets, have not connectivity problems at all. All three players well not connect wirelessly, nor hardwired via ethernet cable.

mikebdoss

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:10 pm

SLStout wrote:
Coincidence? All three of my Roku Players began having the same type of connectivity problems on the same day as yours. Never had any problems with them like this in the past. All other devices, computers & laptops & tablets, have not connectivity problems at all. All three players well not connect wirelessly, nor hardwired via ethernet cable.

Worldwide conspiracy of people who don't know anything about wireless networking is my bet.

SLStout

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Update. I found that a neighbor is apparently running an open internet access. Using his internet, I am able to use all three players without trouble at all other than his speed is much lower than mine. So, problem has to be with my router (still under warranty, thank goodness) or with the Norton that CenturyLink, my isp, provides free of charge.

Gilgamesh

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:13 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

Worldwide conspiracy of people who don't know anything about wireless networking is my bet.

This brings to mid a quote that is variously attributed in various forms to Robert J. Hanlon, Robert A. Heinlein, Sir Bernard Ingham and others but is most probably, in it's current form, from Napoleon Bonaparte. "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

The technology has advanced by leaps and bounds but the average level of human intelligence has not. In fact even many people working in the design and manufacture of the various "modern" electronics do not understand what makes them work so they also cannot grasp what can make one work where another appears to fail.

So it is not really a conscious conspiracy but rather a simple lack of understanding that cause so many to misinterpret various failures of virtually any technology.

DianaGail

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 pm

I've two Rokus running just great since December until 2 days ago, when both dropped the internet connection. Numerous attempts at unplugging, factory resets, it finds our household, LAN, but won't connect to the internet. Had absolutely no problem connecting in December and played just great until now.

I'm told on another forum my problem is bandwidth, that I need DL of at least 10DL and 1.5UL. Guy also said Netflix says you need at least 1.5 UL to play HD streaming. UL more important than DL.

Right now pinging we have:

DL speed of 17Mbps and
UL speed of .97Mbps.

TW says at present our service provides 10DL/1UL. So, I've got TW coming here next week upgrade service to 30DL/3UL for an extra $4.22/mo. If Rokus can't connect then, they are going back to QVC. My son has a Samsung streaming player that encounters a lot of buffering, but it still connects.

Why did both Rokus fail at once? Software upgrade?

knuckle

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi diana-------------

if they were working until two days ago then something in your network has changed -- I have 10 mbps down and run two rokus,a desktop a smart tv and three laptops so where more speed is great you really do not need it.
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

mikebdoss

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:58 pm

It's very likely something in your setup, Diana. It could be interference from a neighbor (or a new piece of equipment in your house) - even non-computer stuff like microwaves, cordless phones and power tools can mess up wireless connections. Tell your Time Warner repair guy about the issue.

j.m.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:42 pm

What software version does your Roku report?

kc8pql

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:01 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
It's very likely something in your setup, Diana. It could be interference from a neighbor (or a new piece of equipment in your house) - even non-computer stuff like microwaves, cordless phones and power tools can mess up wireless connections. Tell your Time Warner repair guy about the issue.

+1 The fact that things were fine and then both boxes started having problems at the same time suggests possible RF interference of some sort.