Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DianaGail

Re: New Roku consistently dropping connection

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:21 pm

j.m. wrote:
What software version does your Roku report?

How would I find this? :lol:
All I get when I access Roku right now is the setup screen. The only thing remote allows me to do is activate. Can't scroll up for the latest software b/c, of course, no internet connection.
Last edited by DianaGail on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j.m.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:24 pm

kc8pql wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
It's very likely something in your setup, Diana. It could be interference from a neighbor (or a new piece of equipment in your house) - even non-computer stuff like microwaves, cordless phones and power tools can mess up wireless connections. Tell your Time Warner repair guy about the issue.

+1 The fact that things were fine and then both boxes started having problems at the same time suggests possible RF interference of some sort.

Maybe, but there has been a limited rollout of new software within the past few days, and at least one other person has reported a similar sudden issue connecting... Would be interested to know if these units got the new 4.3 software...

DianaGail

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:27 pm

knuckle wrote:
if they were working until two days ago then something in your network has changed -- I have 10 mbps down and run two rokus,a desktop a smart tv and three laptops so where more speed is great you really do not need it.

I agree. Was working just great. Guy on other forum said he had to reset router, modem, have his ISP reset mac address (whatever that is) and he upgraded to 2Mpbs UL and now no problems.

I expect this happen again - so it would be good to know. We've reset our router numerous times, don't know how to reset a modem, and don't know anything about a "mac address."

Could be our router - it is a Netgear from TW - I'm sure not top of the line. I know a lot of people buy their own routers, but we're not that smart in this household.

I'll have TW guy walk us through everything next week.
Last edited by DianaGail on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

j.m.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:28 pm

DianaGail wrote:
j.m. wrote:

All I get when I access Roku right now is the setup screen.

What model Roku do you have? Can you get into the Settings | About menu? If not, try connecting via wire if you have that option.

DianaGail

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 pm

j.m. wrote:
DianaGail wrote:
j.m. wrote:

All I get when I access Roku right now is the setup screen.

What model Roku do you have? Can you get into the Settings | About menu? If not, try connecting via wire if you have that option.

Roku2XD. Can't get into settings or about menu b/c it's not activated.

Roku does not have ethernet port. Strictly wireless.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:33 pm

j.m. wrote:
Maybe, but there has been a limited rollout of new software within the past few days, and at least one other person has reported a similar sudden issue connecting... Would be interested to know if these units got the new 4.3 software...

It's unlikely that they would have updated both boxes in a limited release.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Diana, I just sent you a PM with something I want you to try for me, please.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Okay, guys and gals :)

Through CS and Engineering, I've been able to glean that the 2 Roku's in Diana's case were not part of the early release group (which was my greatest worry). So we're looking at an almost definitive networking issue here. As I told her in an email, I'll be looking over her case number tomorrow morning, to see what has and has not been done that could help us narrow things down.

In the meantime, any of you night owls who might have thoughts one what to check as far as router settings go, that would help.

I'm betting on interference of some type at first blush. Has anyone heard of a router that automatically updates firmware on a regular basis? In my experience, it always has to be done manually.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

mkiker2089

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:37 am

DianaGail wrote:

I'm told on another forum my problem is bandwidth, that I need DL of at least 10DL and 1.5UL. Guy also said Netflix says you need at least 1.5 UL to play HD streaming. UL more important than DL.

Right now pinging we have:

DL speed of 17Mbps and
UL speed of .97Mbps.

Just to clarify one thing before we get back on topic. Diana, cancel the service call unless you want more speed. The guy who told you about upload speed was mistaken. Netflix requires 1.5 DOWNLOAD. Upload speed is not important at all really since it's tiny little bits telling Netflix was giant bits to send. An upload of .25 would be enough for that and I know that because I've run two Netflix streams off of that at one time.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

SLStout

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 am

I only post this on the off chance that it might be helpful to someone out there. Three months ago we had a solar system installed on our roof. It communicates via a Locus Monitor (I am told) with the owner of the system (we lease). This monitor plugs into an electrical outlet through which it communicates with the "brain" and the other end is plugged directly into our gateway. After days wondering why all of sudden all three Roku players quit working at the same time, hours upon hours spent with Roku and CenturyLink, it hit me that they have been acting a bit strange on and off since the Locus Monitor was installed, so I unplugged this monitor and immediately have all three players back up and running wirelessly and hardwired. Perhaps this information will help someone out there.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:56 am

it is exactly little things like that which can cause network problems -- thank you SL
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

SuetyStanes

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 am

Diana, have you noticed any disruption in service for other electronics you have that connect to the internet? Anything else in your house connecting wirelessly to your router?

DianaGail

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:06 pm

SuetyStanes wrote:
Diana, have you noticed any disruption in service for other electronics you have that connect to the internet? Anything else in your house connecting wirelessly to your router?

Nope. No problems with internet whatsoever. Our laptops are fine, iPad is fine. My son's streaming Samsung player is working normally.

Going with the upgrade in service anyway, b/c my son's player experiences too much buffering. At $4.22/mo. it won't bankrupt us.

I tend to agree with all posts here - there is network interference. Nothing on our roof to cause this. So, it is either via a neighbor or among the devices in our house. I have laptop, 2 Rokus. Son has laptop, iPad, Samsung streaming player. So, that's 6 devices.

I use a static IP address 192.168.1.8 b/c I was getting IP conflict message popup all the time. I've told my son to set up static IP addresses for his laptop and iPad, but he hasn't done this, yet. So, I occasionally even get the popup on 192.168.1.8, as well.

Noticed last night when I did the tests Shawn asked me to do, one Roku was using 192.168.1.3, the other 192.168.1.6. I had been on .6 a lot before I set the static IP. Could be my son's devices are on .3 and .6 and the problem lies there.

When TW guy gets here next week, we'll talk about this. Need a third party to tell him. He doesn't like to listen to Mom.

mkiker2089

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:42 pm

In my experience the worst offenders regarding wifi are the non-wifi devices. Wifi generally tolerates other wifi rather well being that the spec was designed for that. Different channels, each using their own only as needed and such. However non wifi devices using the 2.4 spectrum don't conform. Cordless phones are the worst offender as they use the entire band (and then some) and will jump around. Then there are baby monitors, wireless weather stations, bluetooth devices, even some garage door openers. That's not including things that shouldn't in theory infiltrate the spectrum but can such as microwave ovens.

If you have a technician stop by he may have a spectrum analyzer with him.

other things to think about some of which have been mentioned

- with 6 devices a weaker g router may be having trouble keeping up with peak demand. That can cause some issues but I'm not sure if a drop would occur. Most likely it would just be buffering. I didn't see what router you have.

- static IPs are a bad idea in a complicated set up like this. It's better to change the DHCP range to start at 3 then power on the devices in order of priority. Power on the Roku first since it keeps it's IP indefinitely. If you must give something a static IP I will first do it in the router. That way something won't get locked out for demanding an IP the router has already given. If you absolutely have to do it on the device then give it a high number that would never be used otherwise such as 50, 55, 75, 205

- ip conflicts should be rare. What happens is something asks for an IP that it had before, a renewal. The router should straighten it out quickly on it's own with little trouble. If it doesn't rebooting the router should fix it. Again, ALWAYS let the router handle IPs. It's the only trouble free way to it. You should be able to make a nice chart in the router set up page.

- no one likes to listen to mom. I have no idea why. My mom told me why once but of course I didn't pay attention.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

j.m.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:08 pm

DianaGail wrote:
I use a static IP address 192.168.1.8 b/c I was getting IP conflict message popup all the time. I've told my son to set up static IP addresses for his laptop and iPad, but he hasn't done this, yet. So, I occasionally even get the popup on 192.168.1.8, as well.

Noticed last night when I did the tests Shawn asked me to do, one Roku was using 192.168.1.3, the other 192.168.1.6. I had been on .6 a lot before I set the static IP. Could be my son's devices are on .3 and .6 and the problem lies there.

When TW guy gets here next week, we'll talk about this. Need a third party to tell him. He doesn't like to listen to Mom.

There's the problem. If you are going to assign static IPs, they MUST be unique AND outside of the DHCP range set in your router. Since the Roku gets its IP via DHCP and is receiving low numbered IPs, it sounds like your router's DHCP server is probably configured to hand out IPs starting at 192.168.1.2 and likely running through .50 or .100. Again, you must not set static IPs in that range, which is exactly what you have done! That is why you are getting IP conflicts and probably why your Rokus aren't working correctly.