West Ham

Re: Amazon adds TV and movie titles from Magnolia

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 am

Heyitsrick
Topic Author

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 am

West Ham wrote:

But I don't equate having the availability to RENT a streaming movie as the same as having the movie available on one's service included in whatever the monthly charge is. I'm sure Netflix could add content where they charge an additional fee on top of their monthly charge for movies.

I don't want to have to pay additional fees on top of the monthly charge to see movies. Much of what I'd like to see on Amazon is not available in Prime. Sure, there are "Daily (and weekend) Deals", but it's still over and above what I'm paying for Prime. And chances are they might be available on my cable VOD, anyway (although frequently higher priced, admittedly).

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:00 pm

West Ham wrote:

That is not a fair comparison. Basically it means I can watch 4 of the top 50 movies on Netflix for 8 bucks, where watching those same 4 movies on Amazon would cost me what? twelve bucks? And with Netflix I would have unlimited access to thousands MORE movies for that same 8 dollars. Netflix is the only one of the providers listed that is monthly flat fee (aside from Amazon Prime which is not reflected in the Amazon numbers listed, those are the PPV numbers).

gonzotek

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:15 pm

philsoft wrote:
West Ham wrote:

That is not a fair comparison. Basically it means I can watch 4 of the top 50 movies on Netflix for 8 bucks, where watching those same 4 movies on Amazon would cost me what? twelve bucks? And with Netflix I would have unlimited access to thousands MORE movies for that same 8 dollars. Netflix is the only one of the providers listed that is monthly flat fee (aside from Amazon Prime which is not reflected in the Amazon numbers listed, those are the PPV numbers).
The point of the article wasn't about what you can see for a set price per month vs. what you can see PPV; however the author did briefly touch on cost and netflix's model vs. the PPV model:
Another inter­est­ing thing to note here is that the data seems to be rel­a­tively con­sis­tent across online pay-per-view ser­vices with Ama­zon, iTunes, and Vudu appar­ently get­ting access to the same movies, lead­ing one to think that there is lit­tle dif­fer­en­ti­a­tion between those prod­ucts (of note: Vudu has actu­ally tried to dif­fer­en­ti­ate on offer­ing by pro­vid­ing 7.1 sur­round sound and 3D movies to avail­able TV sets.) With prices across those ser­vices being roughly the same (movies are rent­ing for $3.99 to $5.99 on aver­age), there is a ques­tion as to how those ser­vices will be able to pro­vide a dif­fer­en­ti­ated expe­ri­ence in the future....

...The story here isn’t that pretty for Net­flix, which has lost sub­stan­tial ground from last year’s posi­tion, offer­ing less than half of the hits it used to offer last year. If you think of their recent moves towards cre­at­ing orig­i­nal con­tent, it appears that Net­flix is slowly mov­ing away from its ini­tial strat­egy of pro­vid­ing online stream­ing of movies on a sub­scrip­tion basis and mov­ing more to a model more akin to that of a TV network.
The point of the article (the one I took away from it) was that if I wanted to see 2011's top 100 box office winners, delivered via the internet, Netflix is not going to meet my needs.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

philsoft

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 pm

gonzotek wrote:
philsoft wrote:
West Ham wrote:

The point of the article wasn't about what you can see for a set price per month vs. what you can see PPV; however the author did briefly touch on cost and netflix's model vs. the PPV model

Well apparently west hams point was that Netflix numbers were down, but according to the article rental availability for the top 100 was down everywhere except DVD. So as far as bang for the buck, Netflix is still blowing away anyone out there.

Also in the article, the author states the following
The data shows that Net­flix appears to be miss­ing the Flix part of its name when it comes to stream­ing, as it offers only 5 of the top 100 box office win­ners of 2011. By com­par­i­son, pay-per-view seems to be doing a bet­ter job at mak­ing top hits avail­able for stream­ing, with the num­bers declin­ing as you go deeper into the list.

And as I was saying, that is not a fair comparison.

West Ham

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:39 pm

philsoft wrote:

So as far as bang for the buck, Netflix is still blowing away anyone out there.

Netflix is not doing anything in the way of bringing new content to streaming so no, it's not a better bang for the buck. I see they added a bunch of irrelevant "rock" dvd's and the complete Sonic series recently. If that is bang for your buck then a buck is not what it used to be

philsoft

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

West Ham wrote:
philsoft wrote:

Netflix is not doing anything in the way of bringing new content to streaming so no, it's not a better bang for the buck. I see they added a bunch of irrelevant "rock" dvd's and the complete Sonic series recently. If that is bang for your buck then a buck is not what it used to be

I guess we disagree then. Access to thousands of movies for 8 bucks a month looks good to me. We ALWAYS have something to watch with Netflix. Not sure where you are getting that volume of quality content (new or not) for that price, but would you be willing to share the source?

SuetyStanes

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:19 pm

West Ham wrote:
philsoft wrote:

Netflix is not doing anything in the way of bringing new content to streaming...

Er, perhaps you've missed the announcements, but Netflix is actually creating content now. So yes, they are absolutely bringing completely new content to streaming.

Unless I missed something here. But Netflix also still offers dvds by mail which I think should be brought into the equation since it's not exactly fair to compare flat-rate streaming offerings with rental offerings.

gonzotek

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm

SuetyStanes wrote:
But Netflix also still offers dvds by mail which I think should be brought into the equation since it's not exactly fair to compare flat-rate streaming offerings with rental offerings.
That (at least)doubles the price, however. Or halves the value proposition :).
philsoft wrote:
The data shows that Net­flix appears to be miss­ing the Flix part of its name when it comes to stream­ing, as it offers only 5 of the top 100 box office win­ners of 2011. By com­par­i­son, pay-per-view seems to be doing a bet­ter job at mak­ing top hits avail­able for stream­ing, with the num­bers declin­ing as you go deeper into the list.

In what way is it 'unfair' to compare title-to-title availability? It isn't a cost/value comparison, it's an availability analysis. The title of the article, and the focus of the analysis is "Where the hits are streaming in 2011". Are there many 2011 hits streaming on Netflix? No. Are there more hits streaming on other services? Yes. Netflix loses in that metric. Does Netflix offer other compelling content, at a price many find attractive? Yes certainly, but that's not the topic of the article. In the article comments, the author encourages anyone interested to take his published data and do their own analyses. Since value is subjective, it's also much more difficult to do a 'fair' comparison. The hundreds of tv shows and b-movies Netflix offers for one monthly payment may have a much higher value to some people, while recent box-office hits served ala carte may have a much higher value to others. The price you might be willing to pay for one is not directly comparable to the price I might be willing to pay for the other.
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv

KennyJ

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:02 pm

West Ham wrote:
philsoft wrote:

So you are going to make that call based on what was added to "New choices to watch instantly" today? Why not look at the deal Netflix made with the Weinsteins that will bring The Artist to Netflix this year. Or that they are producing new content: House of Cards, Arrested Development, Lillyhammer.

Or that they continue to add theatrical content and tv shows (and/or new episodes). Just this week they've added: Lincoln Lawyer, MI-5, Archer, Futurama, and Family Guy for example. In the past few weeks I've personally added several things to my queue: Two Oscar nominated docs - "flower and Back Again" and "If a Tree Falls." Another well-reviewed doc, "Being Elmo." some CW TV shows, "Supernatural" and "Nikita" -- some stuff for my wife, "Judy Moody" and "Say Yes to the Dress"

And finally, some of us actually do count rock dvds and Sonic as "bang for our buck." Sonic is VERY popular with my son. And I've personally watched several of the music options, including the excellent "Decemberists - A Practical Handbook."

philsoft

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:53 pm

gonzotek wrote:
SuetyStanes wrote:
But Netflix also still offers dvds by mail which I think should be brought into the equation since it's not exactly fair to compare flat-rate streaming offerings with rental offerings.
philsoft wrote:

In what way is it 'unfair' to compare title-to-title availability?

Because it is like complaining that the local dollar store doesn't offer HD Televisions.

DaBronx

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Good news.

I've had Amazon Prime for the shipping benefits from before they offered streaming videos so whatever is free in the prime section is gravy on the potato's for me. My only big wish would be a better way to search for movies.

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

gonzotek

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:17 am

philsoft wrote:
gonzotek wrote:
SuetyStanes wrote:
philsoft wrote:

In what way is it 'unfair' to compare title-to-title availability?

Because it is like complaining that the local dollar store doesn't offer HD Televisions.
OK, to use your metaphor, if I'm *looking* for HD televisions, the dollar store then wouldn't won't meet my needs. I'd have to look elsewhere to obtain the product I wanted, despite all of the other great deals the dollar store might be offering. I still don't see it as unfair to point out such a simple fact as availability.

Heyitsrick
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 am

gonzotek wrote:

OK, to use your metaphor, if I'm *looking* for HD televisions, the dollar store then wouldn't won't meet my needs. I'd have to look elsewhere to obtain the product I wanted, despite all of the other great deals the dollar store might be offering. I still don't see it as unfair to point out such a simple fact as availability.

I'm sorry; to me it's still a bogus comparison.

Let's distill this to brass tacks: Are you (and others) saying that Netflix suffers because --and let me highlight this-- they don't offer an additional option to pay even more for a recent hit movie over and above the subscription fee???

Is that the argument here, because that's all any of these other services are doing. They are offering a way to pay an additional premium for access to a particular recent movie. Are you saying that Netflix should have it's $8.00/month fee and then have a section where you could pay an addtional fee for access to recent hit movies???

That's all this "argument" seems to be about. Am I going to be driven to Amazon pay-per-view or Vudu and give up my Netflix streaming option because of this? That's absurd. Those sources are available to me if/when I want them, to be used in conjunction with my Netflix subscription, no different than my cable company's VOD is.