Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:49 pm

evo34 wrote:
Who exactly programs the MLB channel? Is it a developer at MLB? I'm just trying to figure out why more effort has not been put into making the Roku interface full-featured. It seems odd that MLB wouldn't want to invest in this, so am wondering if there is some odd techincal limitation inherent in the Roku system.


It's the MLB, perhaps with some input by Roku. From what I've seen of last year's channel, the MLB seems to be using a lot of the "Default" templates and options of Roku's SDK, and not going much beyond that in their programming. I'm sure more is possible (look at Hulu+'s channel - you can really customize the whole experience as a developer) but the MLB seems happy (or did, in the past) to simply get the basics out there in order to have a channel.
 
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:45 pm

evo34 wrote:
Who exactly programs the MLB channel? Is it a developer at MLB? I'm just trying to figure out why more effort has not been put into making the Roku interface full-featured. It seems odd that MLB wouldn't want to invest in this, so am wondering if there is some odd techincal limitation inherent in the Roku system.


Channel creation is a give and take relationship. Roku works with content providers to give them the tools to create the channel as they wish, based on established branding schemes (Roku alone would never even hope to be able to reproduce something like a currently established branded scheme ... well, we could, but it would take a LOT of time and effort).

Roku also works closely with them to vet the channel to insure it works accurately, by providing beta testers in some instances, and also helps with debugging issues that sometimes creeps up due to a firmware version causing havoc with a channel's code, or vice versa. It's always an uphill battle, because with so many "official" channels, priorities have to sometimes be set. And although we're growing, we're still a very small company, all things considered (although I was surprised by the number of people at the last company meeting :D).

Hope that helps a bit. Again, your feedback does make it into my weekly reports from time to time (if I recall correctly, this channel was featured in one last year).

C. Shawn Smith

PS - Did I just say last year? Saturday will be my 1-year anniversary as a Roku Employee!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
crassh76
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:27 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida 34987

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:55 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
C. Shawn Smith

PS - Did I just say last year? Saturday will be my 1-year anniversary as a Roku Employee!


Not to get off topic but...CONGRATS! Glad you're sticking around. :D
Roku Premiere
Roku Stick
and a bunch of original Rokus
Wifi 35 Mbps
Plume Pods
Philips 47" LCD 1080P
Roku to TV by HDMI for A/V
Eastern Time Zone (Florida zip code 34987)
 
tj218
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:01 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Again, your feedback does make it into my weekly reports from time to time (if I recall correctly, this channel was featured in one last year).


Please also include the request for the alternate audio feeds WITH the video. (Radio Announcers with the video) it can be done on other devices with MLB.tv
 
ddevonb
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:16 pm

The problem is specific programming has to be done for each of several devices. It's not one code fits all programming.
 
gyurchak
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:27 pm

Wow, I've got zero complaints about the MLB channel. I subscribe to NBA, NHL, and MLS also, and the MLB one clearly blew them all away last year. I thought it should set the standard. Don't get me wrong - I would love the extra features. But when on the NBA channel you can't turn off scores, and you can't start from the beginning of a game, and you can't pick between home or away broadcasts, or many other things that drive me crazy, I'll gladly take the MLB features.

Just got the beta added. Looking forward to trying it out after work.
 
ddevonb
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 pm

I agree. I bought Roku for MLB.tv a couple of seasons back and it keeps getting better.
 
rrrrrrredbelly
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:34 am

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:24 am

gyurchak wrote:
Wow, I've got zero complaints about the MLB channel. I subscribe to NBA, NHL, and MLS also, and the MLB one clearly blew them all away last year. I thought it should set the standard. Don't get me wrong - I would love the extra features. But when on the NBA channel you can't turn off scores, and you can't start from the beginning of a game, and you can't pick between home or away broadcasts, or many other things that drive me crazy, I'll gladly take the MLB features.

Just got the beta added. Looking forward to trying it out after work.


Just a heads up, I know this was a general comment, but make sure you keep your comments about the beta channel in the beta forum
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:40 am

rrrrrrredbelly wrote:

Just a heads up, I know this was a general comment, but make sure you keep your comments about the beta channel in the beta forum

+1
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
dbcom
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:06 pm

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:51 pm

I just don't understand why MLB wouldn't want to offer it's Spring Training games on the Roku. Is it that much more work? How much more? They've had all winter to plan and this happens every single year. GET IN THE GAME, MLB!
Roku HD, wireless, signal (~good), D-Link 108G router, debugged my network stream at ~2.0 to 5.8 mbps, TimeWarnerCable in Los Angeles
 
capslock118
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:10 pm

I don't know how you were led to believe that you would be able to watch spring training games on the Roku. I have never seen any ads or promos saying that they would be available on the Roku device.


You know I'm not really a sports nut, and here I am on my first post on the roku forums and already causing a stir.

As of 13-Mar-2012, if you go to the "Devices" page on the mlb.tv website and scroll down to the Roku section:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?content=products&c_id=mlb

ROKU
Roku is a little box that allows you to instantly stream entertainment from the Internet to a screen of your choice. Spring Training games available in late March. Available in the U.S., Canada (coming in April), Ireland and the United Kingdom only.


aaand...if you click on 'More details' you will be directed here:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=roku

which says:
Purchase an MLB.TV Premium subscription to watch every out-of-market regular season game LIVE on your Roku player. Catch all the action in HD quality video and easily navigate to archived games. Spring Training games available in late March.


Now, I could be wrong, but it looks to me like MLB.tv is explicitly stating that spring training will be available on the roku player in LATE march.

:-D
 
mikepo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:58 pm

So I've just purchased two Roku devices, then went straight to http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/in ... oduct=roku to verify that these were supported by MLB.Tv. Paid my money for mlb subscription and settled in to watch the full archive of 2012 and 2011 games that are advertised.... and there is NO such service. Excuse me? Only two weeks of archived games are available?

This is NOT what was advertised. I feel intentionally mislead and completely ripped off, frankly. This is the ONLY reason I bought these Roku devices. I've been backwards and forwards throguh all of the literature on both the Roku and MLB pages, and NOWHERE does it say anything about "only two weeks of archives." It SPECIFICALLY says I'll have access to the full archive of games.

This is just flat out, blatantly false advertising and and I have been ripped off to the tune of over $200. Just completely, utterly lied to and ripped off.
 
vnzjunk
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:50 am

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Welcome to the misadventures of Roku MLB channel (search the past postings spanning several seasons). Many here feel your pain in one way or the other. Good luck at getting your money back from both Roku and MLB.

mikepo wrote:
So I've just purchased two Roku devices, then went straight to http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/in ... oduct=roku to verify that these were supported by MLB.Tv. Paid my money for mlb subscription and settled in to watch the full archive of 2012 and 2011 games that are advertised.... and there is NO such service. Excuse me? Only two weeks of archived games are available?

This is NOT what was advertised. I feel intentionally mislead and completely ripped off, frankly. This is the ONLY reason I bought these Roku devices. I've been backwards and forwards throguh all of the literature on both the Roku and MLB pages, and NOWHERE does it say anything about "only two weeks of archives." It SPECIFICALLY says I'll have access to the full archive of games.

This is just flat out, blatantly false advertising and and I have been ripped off to the tune of over $200. Just completely, utterly lied to and ripped off.
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:04 pm

mikepo wrote:
So I've just purchased two Roku devices, then went straight to http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/in ... oduct=roku to verify that these were supported by MLB.Tv. Paid my money for mlb subscription and settled in to watch the full archive of 2012 and 2011 games that are advertised.... and there is NO such service. Excuse me? Only two weeks of archived games are available?

This is NOT what was advertised. I feel intentionally mislead and completely ripped off, frankly. This is the ONLY reason I bought these Roku devices. I've been backwards and forwards throguh all of the literature on both the Roku and MLB pages, and NOWHERE does it say anything about "only two weeks of archives." It SPECIFICALLY says I'll have access to the full archive of games.

This is just flat out, blatantly false advertising and and I have been ripped off to the tune of over $200. Just completely, utterly lied to and ripped off.


It's MLB's choice on what to provide to each of its platform channels - they create it and choose the programming. But good luck complaining to them...
 
steamer
Topic Author
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: MLB.TV 2012 now available! NOT!!!

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:13 pm

The large print giveth and the small print [in this case nonexistent] taketh away.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests