Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mrbeefy
Topic Author

$10 off now or wait?

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm used to seeing discounts like the $10 off the XD come at times right before a new product is announced. Is this pricing set to compete with the new AppleTV or is there a roku 3 on the very near horizon? Just trying to make the best purchase.

catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Re: $10 off now or wait?

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 pm

the next expected product is the roku stick, announced at the latest CES show as probably coming fall of 2012.

roku has actually been having sales since thanksgiving, rotating around on the products, from free shipping to $10 off the XD and XS for valentines day, the HD last weekend, and now the XD alone.
if you don't like the XD model the chances are that the one you want will be on sale sometime in the next couple of months based on recent sale history.
but i don't work for roku and i don't have inside knowledge so please consider that when making your decision: i may not be right
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless

Gilgamesh

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Trying to get the best price on any purchase always seems to make good sense but beware of missing a "good" price waiting for the "best" one.

In instances like this I am reminded of the old commodities trading saying: "In any market the bears can make money and the bulls can make money and the hogs get slaughtered."

Just get the best price you can and then become a couch potato like the rest of us because there is too much to watch and too little time to watch it.

kc8pql

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:41 pm

mrbeefy wrote:
...or is there a roku 3 on the very near horizon?

I sincerely doubt it.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

SCOREtv.TV

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Just want to remind you that if you go to your local Best Buy store, they will price match the offer advertised at www.roku.com.
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV

mrbeefy
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Ah, I'd rather never give Best Buy another cent ever. Plus you'd pay tax anyway, but thanks.

I think I just read that you can't stream your own movies from your PC to the Roku? I thought that was the whole point of the box? Is there no XMBC on it? Can XMBC be hacked onto it?

SuetyStanes

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:21 pm

mrbeefy wrote:
I think I just read that you can't stream your own movies from your PC to the Roku? I thought that was the whole point of the box? Is there no XMBC on it? Can XMBC be hacked onto it?

The whole point of the box is actually to stream specific internet content to your TV instead of your computer monitor, with a slick and user friendly interface.

There are certainly ways to stream your personal content to the box though. I use Plex and am very very happy with it.

robertm

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:31 pm

mrbeefy wrote:
Ah, I'd rather never give Best Buy another cent ever. Plus you'd pay tax anyway, but thanks.

Not only is that not the whole point of the box it is probably its worst feature. There are ways to do it but if local streaming is your primary focus you may want to look at WD Live, Apple TV (which I believe can be loaded with XMBC), or Boxee Box which is based on XMBC but not XMBC.

FX4

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:51 am

XBMC is not offered on Apple TV. You can jailbreak the old Apple TVs to install it. Apple TV allows you to stream from your Mac, iPad, Time Capsule, etc. All are iTunes sources. XBMC is just a DLNA player.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

donbga

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:18 am

FX4 wrote:
Apple TV allows you to stream from your Mac, iPad, Time Capsule, etc.

Apple TV is an accessory for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod. I wouldn't have an Apple TV if someone gave it to me. Now if someone wants to give me a wifi iPad - yeah I'll take it!

dwanthny

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:27 pm

mrbeefy wrote:
Just trying to make the best purchase.

$10 dollars off and free shipping go for it. I just picked up a second Roku, couldn't pass up the price. :)

RickRansom

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:45 pm

donbga wrote:
Apple TV is an accessory for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod. I wouldn't have an Apple TV if someone gave it to me. Now if someone wants to give me a wifi iPad - yeah I'll take it!
If you can shell out $299 then a first gen iPad would be right within your grasp. But if you want the NEW IPAD(not an iPad 3 but a 3rd gen iPad) then better wait until March 19. And no, I ain't buying you one. LoL. :lol:
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

songkran

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:36 pm

catastrophegirl wrote:
the next expected product is the roku stick, announced at the latest CES show as probably coming fall of 2012.

This is actually not the case. A new version of the lower end Roku 2 HD just showed up at the FCC for certification:

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2012/03 ... d-storage/

It upgrades to the Broadcom BCM7208 processor (up from BCM2835) which supports 1080p, so we should see that spec bumped up from 720p.

It just goes to show, we don't know what's in the pipeline.

DBDukes

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 pm

donbga wrote:

What? You mean I've been using my Apple TV wrong all this time? And I've been watching iTunes content, music and videos off my Mac, Netflix, podcasts ... all without my iPad. I need to learn how to use this thing. I'm getting way too much use out of it.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

catastrophegirl

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 pm

songkran wrote:
catastrophegirl wrote:

This is actually not the case. A new version of the lower end Roku 2 HD just showed up at the FCC for certification:

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2012/03 ... d-storage/

It upgrades to the Broadcom BCM7208 processor (up from BCM2835) which supports 1080p, so we should see that spec bumped up from 720p.

It just goes to show, we don't know what's in the pipeline.

when i wrote that, the stick was the next expected product but i am always happy to see new products and i've been eagerly staring at the photos of the new HD player trying to figure out what's going to make this one special! i'm just glad it has regular outputs again and won't require a special cable because one of my cats is a cord biter
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless