Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

robertm
Topic Author

More On Consumer Education

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:37 pm

I have mentioned this before as I am sure others have but I think it is a good idea and it should be brought back up occasionally.

Over the years that have been a lot of repeated threads here that stem from a lack of consumer education. Where's the power button to why is my 1080p player outputting in 720p or less and just about everything in between. If they are asking it here they are probably calling support too. How many of those threads and calls could have been prevented saving Roku money and increasing customer satisfaction? Even better, how many calls that ended with the customer being told to call someone else could have been prevented?

I think we can all agree that the path of least resistance is always the best and the easier you make it the more people will use it.

So why aren't there some general Roku 101 videos on the Roku itself? A deletable channel that appears on every new unit with a new account. Videos that explain the remote control, the basics of the hardware, how to use the channel store, and give them a basic rundown on how streaming works and where Roku fits in the chain. It doesn't help anyone for a customer to be calling Roku because a Netflix video is having playback problems. The problem is most people are looking at it like a cable box where you call the cable company when you have problems.

20ish minutes worth of video cut into 3 or 4 files could go a long way.

hozedhead

Re: More On Consumer Education

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:54 pm

There are 6 videos at www.roku.com/support
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10

SuetyStanes

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

hozedhead wrote:
There are 6 videos at http://www.roku.com/support

They should bundle those up and stream them in a Roku channel that comes pre-loaded.

hozedhead

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:01 pm

There's also a ton of videos on youtube regarding Roku.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:04 pm

I agree the "Welcome to Roku" channel should be created for newbies.. However, if they can't get past the "Network setup" screen, how will they ever GET to these videos?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

robertm
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:08 pm

SuetyStanes wrote:
hozedhead wrote:
There are 6 videos at http://www.roku.com/support

They should bundle those up and stream them in a Roku channel that comes pre-loaded.

Exactly. You want to get out in front of a customer not wait and hope they come to you.

I agree the "Welcome to Roku" channel should be created for newbies.. However, if they can't get past the "Network setup" screen, how will they ever GET to these videos?

This would not end all need for support it would just end support calls that stem from a lack of understanding the product and how it works. Plus it might introduce them to features that make the box more appealing during the return window.

Gilgamesh

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:08 pm

While I agree that this would be a reasonable idea I have a different view than you of the "good" it would do.

I do not believe that "most" people would use it rather I think it would sit on most folks home screen until they stumble across the way to delete it. Even those that start to watch it would quickly stop watching before it would do any good.

Most people do NOT want to be taught they want the answers given to them without expending any effort on their part.

You see that in all aspects of technology and Roku is no different.

Of course if it was sufficiently entertaining then the teaching could occur without the people being aware of it but I have never seen an instructional video that was it that category.

Having said all that I see no real downside beyond Roku expending resources of an ultimately fruitless endeavor.

People just want it to work in the way they want it without any effort on their part but the current level of the technology precludes that at least some of the time and then it is ALWAYS the fault of the provider/manufacturer and never the fault of poor research or understanding by the user. That will never be remedied by exposing the masses to more information. It will only be remedied by changing the basic nature of the current human condition and that is, I think, beyond Roku's capability.

DBDukes

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:11 pm

jeffrok wrote:

That is valid. But, there are more issues than the network setup that could be helped by a "Welcome to Roku" channel.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

SuetyStanes

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
I do not believe that "most" people would use it rather I think it would sit on most folks home screen until they stumble across the way to delete it. Even those that start to watch it would quickly stop watching before it would do any good.

Just speaking from my own experience, if I got the Roku going and saw a few pre-loaded channels, I'd start out by exploring my new device a little. If there happened to be a channel on there that had videos about how to add/delete a channel, what the different subscription/purchase options are for channels, some of the highlights of the settings menu, etc. I'd probably watch them. Especially if they were only a few minutes long.

At the very least, it would get people into a channel that doesn't require any more effort than getting used to how the device displays video and how the remote works- by virtue of the person using it to watch the videos.

No doubt not everyone would use the thing. But it would reach a broader audience than any written paperwork that goes in the box, because people are excited to be using their new device, not reading instructions. This would allow them to start using their new toy at the same time informing them.

robertm
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
While I agree that this would be a reasonable idea I have a different view than you of the "good" it would do.

I agree that most people would not use it. Most people do not call support either. I do believe that people with questions or people that are curious would happily use it before digging around on a website or calling support. Dish Network has dedicated channels and the screen saver is a rolling tips and trick guide.

From most accounts calling support is not a favorable experience and anything that can be done to prevent that saves money and increases customer satisfaction.

robertm
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 pm

SuetyStanes wrote:
Especially if they were only a few minutes long.

That is key to reaching the largest possible audience. You don't bury the answer/information they are looking for with a video that covers more than it should. It is better to have 10 3 minute videos than 2 15 minute videos. Plus, when changes come it makes them easier to update. Not everyone will need every video either.

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:54 pm

I see at least one other issue that must be overcome: Since Roku is going world-wide, they'll eventually need to re-create the videos in the native languages of non-english-speaking countries (and canada would require french, wouldn't it?). Between that and needing to update them for interface and other changes, they'll require a quite a bit of effort vs. maintaining the support site. Even so, it's still not a bad idea. TiVo comes pre-packaged with some short how-to videos stored on the drive. They're not the height of entertainment genius, but they're watchable. Roku could even add some personal touches to the videos that could give users the 'warm and fuzzy' feelings that could turn them into loyal Roku fans.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

robertm
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:22 pm

gonzotek wrote:
I see at least one other issue that must be overcome: Since Roku is going world-wide, they'll eventually need to re-create the videos in the native languages of non-english-speaking countries (and canada would require french, wouldn't it?). Between that and needing to update them for interface and other changes, they'll require a quite a bit of effort vs. maintaining the support site. Even so, it's still not a bad idea. TiVo comes pre-packaged with some short how-to videos stored on the drive. They're not the height of entertainment genius, but they're watchable. Roku could even add some personal touches to the videos that could give users the 'warm and fuzzy' feelings that could turn them into loyal Roku fans.

The interface hasn't changed that much and really the channel owners should consider having their own how-to videos. If you keep them short, specific, and as generic as possible you shouldn't have to change them that often.

Until you have enough customers who require french or some other language there is no reason to address them. I don't say that to be mean or exclusionary but it has to be cost justifiable. Cutting down on (let's say) 10 percent of calls from a base of customer base of 10k may not be enough to do specific videos. Cutting down on 10 percent of the calls from the 3+ million English speaking customers might be justifiable. To be clear, that is 10 percent of the number that would call or seek support not 10 percent of the total owners and I have no way of knowing what percent it would actually help.

SCOREtv.TV

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:30 pm

gonzotek wrote:
TiVo comes pre-packaged with some short how-to videos stored on the drive. They're not the height of entertainment genius, but they're watchable. Roku could even add some personal touches to the videos that could give users the 'warm and fuzzy' feelings that could turn them into loyal Roku fans.

:idea: I'm working on those, except mine are going to be a bit provocative. :oops:
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV

robertm
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:36 pm

This thread will never be the same again. :lol: