Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
SCOREtv.TV
Topic Author
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 am
Location: Miami
Contact:

New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:45 pm

With composite outputs? Is this 2012?

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2012/03 ... sd-storage

A new Roku HD player has arrived on the FCC, bringing a few additions to Roku’s lineup of media streamers. As you can see above, the new Roku HD player looks nearly identical to the Roku 2 HD player from the front. However, turn the Roku around, below, and you can see that the new Roku HD player features composite outputs – something we haven’t seen since the Roku 1 HD. Roku dropped full sized composite outputs with the Roku 2 in favor of a more compact 3.5mm composite adapter.


Image

I do like the remote and the idea of listing the top channels on it.
Image
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV
 
robertm
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Put composite in,
Take composite out,
Put composite in and shake it all about,
Do the Hokie Pokie and turn yourself around,
That's what it's all about.


I hear the Roku 4 will have analog outputs again.


Anyway, here is hoping for better local media support.
 
Heyitsrick
Posts: 1263
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:29 pm

While I haven't used it, doesn't the "AV" output on the Roku2 already breakout to composite video/analog audio via the Mini-to-RCA cable?

The remote looks most interesting, since obviously it's going to mean discrete IR codes (unless they are Bluetooth-only) for those Netflix/Crackle/Pandora buttons.
Last edited by Heyitsrick on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
robertm
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Dunno. I only have one LT and I didn't really pay that much attention to it. The rest of mine are first gen.

ETA: I think those buttons probably work now since that is the remote for the LT model.
 
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
While I haven't used it, doesn't the "AV" output on the Roku2 already breakout to composite video/analog audio via the Mini-to-RCA cable?

The remote looks most interesting, since obviously it's going to mean discrete IR codes for those Netflix/Crackle/Pandora buttons.


That remote has been out for quite a while but it only came with some LT models.

Personally I would like to get my hands on one as, so far, the Harmony devices do not have the extra codes in their database.

Going away from the mini-plug for the composite output makes sense as the cable was non-standard and it must have generated a lot of calls and failures.

Now only if the holo-emitters on this one actually work without the constant break up we currently have to deal with and they need to implement "Safeties" so kids will be able to watch without getting injured. But the tactile feedback, when enabled and available in the stream, has been flawless.
 
j653
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:22 am

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Let's hope they also give us to option to buy the standard remote. More buttons is not always good. The interface should be designed in such a way that launching any program is quick and easy.
 
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Seriously bring back the Ethernet port. :P

Or a usb to Ethernet. Wired FTW! :D Yeah I know the top of the line has Ethernet. ;) Still....

Analog out? Eh, why not continue to use the mini RCA thing?

In fact Roku could take advantage of more of those mini to video and audio connections that super thin TVs use.

Interesting box none the less. Looks like an LT with analog input. Could just be a new revision? Maybe 1080P? Dual-band N Wifi?

Would really like to see some Ethernet love though. :P
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Southeast Georgia
Contact:

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Could be that it's simply cheaper to offer a standard cable rather than the non-standard mini-to-RCA cords?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
 
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:28 pm

DBDukes wrote:
Could be that it's simply cheaper to offer a standard cable rather than the non-standard mini-to-RCA cords?


Could be. Hey a cheaper LT is always welcome.

Didn't the CEO say the goal is to keep dropping the price every year?

Well just have to wait until something gets officially announced. ;)
 
SCOREtv.TV
Topic Author
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 am
Location: Miami
Contact:

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:13 am

Crow550 wrote:
Hey a cheaper LT is always welcome.


I believe you are on to something here. This HD model could be the future LT.

If roku could get a product in the $19.95 price range I simply do see them being stop.
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV
 
FX4
Posts: 2089
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 am

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:06 am

Interesting I was hoping for higher end models with all the outputs plus an RF remote. Meaning, Ethernet, HDMI, COMPONENT video, optical out. Home theater does not use HDMI and I don't plan to add it. Further the system I am looking at replacing my current system with does not support HDMI.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)
 
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:19 am

FX4 wrote:
Interesting I was hoping for higher end models with all the outputs plus an RF remote. Meaning, Ethernet, HDMI, COMPONENT video, optical out. Home theater does not use HDMI and I don't plan to add it. Further the system I am looking at replacing my current system with does not support HDMI.


The XS supports Component video if you don't do HDMI. Does have the rest except optical. There is devices that does offer that through hdmi to optical audio and such.

Has a BlueTooth remote instead of RF.

The thing is.... Component video and optical audio are old and newer devices aren't gonna support them much longer. It's technology for ya.
 
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:26 am

SCOREtv.TV wrote:
Crow550 wrote:
Hey a cheaper LT is always welcome.


I believe you are on to something here. This HD model could be the future LT.

If roku could get a product in the $19.95 price range I simply do see them being stop.


It's axing expandable memory. Unknown if it still has BT support. Anyways it could be knocked down $10-$20 cheaper then the other boxes follow in price drops. ;)
 
FX4
Posts: 2089
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 am

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:51 am

Crow550 wrote:
FX4 wrote:
Interesting I was hoping for higher end models with all the outputs plus an RF remote. Meaning, Ethernet, HDMI, COMPONENT video, optical out. Home theater does not use HDMI and I don't plan to add it. Further the system I am looking at replacing my current system with does not support HDMI.


The XS supports Component video if you don't do HDMI. Does have the rest except optical. There is devices that does offer that through hdmi to optical audio and such.

Has a BlueTooth remote instead of RF.

The thing is.... Component video and optical audio are old and newer devices aren't gonna support them much longer. It's technology for ya.

That's really not true. I'm going high end home theater and honestly a lot of those companies are not supporting HDMI. ATI has a big statement on why they will not support it now or in the future and it's not like they don't have the technology. They manufacture for everybody and their brother. HDMI is the newest technology, it doesn't make it the best. At any rate I use HDMI for my less important televisions but the home theater gets component and optical. I just checked my Roku 2|S and it does not support component video,only HDMI or composite.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)
 
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: New Roku HD player hits the FCC, new remote

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:41 pm

i'd love it if the "top channels" buttons were programmable. crackle and pandora are not even in my top ten channels. if i could choose say, nowhereTV and hulu plus, that'd be much more suited to my needs.

i've seen plenty of people on the facebook roku channel asking where to get a replacement cable after their dog ate it, so the return to standard connections is probably in response to that sort of issue
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests